Cogage Arrow CPU Cooler Review – Dual Rad FTW!

Some time ago we reviewed the Cogage True Spirit which was the first cooler from Cogage which is a new brand introduced by Thermalright. We were really impressed when we tested the True Spirit because of its light weight, compact size and yet decent enough performance considering its lower price.
Now Cogage has come out with a brand new cooler which is supposed to be superior to the True Spirit and is also attempting to take on the mighty TRUE that has held the performance crown for quite some time now. This new cooler is called as Cogage Arrow and is a dual radiator design. Looks wise its like the IFX-14 just a wee bit bigger :p
It remains to be seen whether this massive cooler is really capable of achieving the high goals it wishes to accomplish.

Specifications and Features -

• 4 X 8mm large sintered heat-pipes efficiently remove excessive heat away from the CPU, allowing for great Overclocking potential
  • Nickel Plated Base and Heatpipes, increase the longevity of the heatsink by slowing oxidation and deterioration rates… maintained performance over time
  • Double fin stack design, provides each tower with an impressive 147 x 103mm of surface area for heat dissipation
  • Special Arrow fin design, which allows cool air to pass through while rapidly moving heat away and maintaining a quiet operating volume
  • Soldered Heat-pipes, Fins and Copper Base, ensure all components maintain the higest of Thermal Efficiency
  • Support for Multiple-Platforms: Intel Socket 1366/1156/775 (AMD Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 optional)
  • Includes a Quiet 120 x 25mm PWN controlled fan
  • Capable of supporting up to three fans for the Ultimate Enthusiast (38mm will fit between the two towers)
Cooler Dimensions: Length 147mm x Width 123mm x Height 160mm
Cooler weight: 825 g (excluding Retention Hardware and Fan)
Heat-pipe: 8mm Sintered Heat-pipe*4 units
Cooler Base Material: C1100 Pure Copper with Nickel Plating.

[BREAK=Box, Packaging, Contents, etc.]

2864b5fc4a440220.jpg

2864b5fc4a4890e4.jpg

The Arrow supports all the major Intel platforms, ensuring maximum compatibility. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to support the AMD platforms out of the box. It would have been great had they included AMD mounting kits for even more compatibility. You can purchase the AMD mounting kit separately.

2864b5fc4a4d04f8.jpg

2864b5fc4a52717d.jpg

As you can see from the basic specs mentioned on the box, it’s not exactly a lightweight cooler like its predecessor, the True Spirit. Not a biggie considering its size and expected performance.
Bear in mind when coupled with dual fans or a single high CFM fan the total weight will touch 1 kg. Be sure to check your motherboard mounting to prevent any mishaps!

2864b5fc4a5b82d6.jpg

2864b5fc4a61177f.jpg

2864b5fc4a6586f6.jpg

The cooler is packaged meticulously with sufficient padding from all sides and a sturdy box to protect it from getting damaged during transportation.

2864b5fc4a69cab4.jpg

The cooler is fastened to the box with 2 cable ties so that it doesn’t move around and remains firmly secured. The holes in the cardboard allow you to pull out the cooler while the eight small holes are for safeguarding the heatpipes

2864b5fc4a6e240b.jpg

2864b5fc54bb1e08.jpg

2864b5fc54c042d5.jpg

2864b5fc54c48c8c.jpg

2864b5fc54c8e29e.jpg

2864b5fc54cd6398.jpg

2864b5fc54d27441.jpg

The packing in between the twin radiators is extremely crucial because if at all the box is subject to excessive pressure due to careless handling by the courier guys, there is a possibility of the heatpipes getting bent and the cooler getting damaged.

[BREAK=Product pictures]

2864b5fc65759b76.jpg

2864b5fc657e90fd.jpg

2864b5fc65712a8d.jpg

2864b5fc54e02e74.jpg

2864b5fc657a01a6.jpg

The Arrow has nickel plated heatpipes unlike the True Spirit, a good and useful feature for people living in coastal areas.
The fins are slightly bent towards the edges, this allows air to circulate a bit longer which leads to better heat dissipation.

2864b5fc659a2401.jpg

2864b5fc7a61b77c.jpg

2864b5fc7a661f14.jpg

The finishing has improved but there is still scope for improvement.

2864b5fc7a6a846f.jpg

2864b5fc7a6ed2be.jpg

Finishing of the base is much better than the True Spirit with hardly any machining marks

2864b5fc6583a370.jpg

2864b5fc657a01a6.jpg

The heatpipe endings could have been finished in a better way, like the small caps used in the True Spirit. Only one end of the heatpipe is capped with the other end in the normal pinched form.
Please note that we say this from a purely aesthetic point of view, this does not affect the performance.

2864b5fc658c756c.jpg

2864b5fc659176e0.jpg

The fins of the radiators are comparatively thinner compared to the ones on the True Spirit and TRUE. So they're also more prone to bending, care has to be taken while handling the cooler.

2864b5fc7a73e285.jpg

The installation kit includes mountings for LGA 1156, 1366,775 along with a tube of Thermalright’s Chill Factor TIM, a spanner, few damping strips, bezel sticker and manuals.

2864b5fc7a784091.jpg

Separate manuals for all three Intel sockets.

2864b5fc7a7c95ec.jpg

2864b5fc7a81a1b4.jpg

2864b5fc7a85f45b.jpg

2864b5fc7a8a3d06.jpg

Since the mounting holes of Socket 775 and 1156 are very close to each other Cogage has made oval holes for the mounting clips allowing them to give a single set of mounting brackets for both sockets.

The bundled 120MM fan is the same that comes with the TRUE Spirit.

2864b5fc54d6bee7.jpg

2864b5fc54db1b4e.jpg

Along with the Arrow, Thermlaright was kind enough to send us something else which aided us in the testing process.
Its their new X-Silent 140 fan. This is a 140mm fan which can be used with this cooler since this cooler can accommodate 140mm fans.

Thermalright X-Silent 140​

2864b5fc2cd001c5.jpg

2864b5fc2cd570c8.jpg

2864b5fc2cd8e7c0.jpg

2864b5fc2cdda3c6.jpg

Don’t be fooled by its low RPM rating, it will be silent yet capable of moving some serious air thanks to its large translucent blades.

2864b5fc2ce340d4.jpg

Accessories include molex adapter, screws and rubber grommets

2864b5fc2ce7f932.jpg

Sleeved cable, nice!

2864b5fc2cecb034.jpg

Since it’s a 25mm fan it fits between the dual radiators with plenty of room to spare.

2864b5fc2cf35aac.jpg

2864b5fc2cf88f48.jpg

Now that we are done taking a close look at the cooler, let’s proceed to the actual installation. For demonstration purpose, we have used EVGA Classified motherboard which is a LGA1366 platform.

[BREAK=Installation]

2864b5fc3975deb8.jpg

2864b5fc397a444b.jpg

2864b5fc3983af52.jpg

The Arrow shares its mounting mechanism with the Ultima 90i and the IFX-14 but with some significant improvement. Once both screws are fully tightened the mounting is very secure without any hint of movement. This type of mounting also allows you to swap the CPU without removing the whole motherboard.

2864b5fc398858ea.jpg

2864b5fc397e97fc.jpg

Thanks to EVGA’s humongous NB cooler, the Arrow just fits on this board. But only one type of orientation is possible; fans blowing towards the top of the cabinet unlike the conventional way. But this is not a problem since most of the new gen PC cases have the PSU at the bottom and nice big exhaust fans on the top.
This shouldn't be a problem on other LGA1366 boards though.
2864b5fc398cac08.jpg

2864b5fc39927967.jpg

2864b5fc421c8254.jpg

2864b5fc4221ec7a.jpg

Just look at the sheer size of this cooler! The Classified looks like a mATX board with this monster mounted on it. The Classified isn't a normal Full ATX board, its slightly bigger and this should give you fair idea as to how big this cooler really is.

2864b5fc422668ea.jpg

2864b5fc422adf5b.jpg

This is what the monster looks like when it’s completely outfitted with the maximum number of fans it can accommodate.
We thought 2 x 120mm high CFM fans is an overkill in most systems except for Nehalem based ones but looks like Thermalright thought the other way round, ‘Two is passé, we should have 3!’
You can use 3 fans with this cooler! Who needs that anyway? OK, maybe the hardcore benching guys would but we don't see the average Joe going for such a setup.

[BREAK=Test Setup and Testing Methodology]

Test Setup -
Intel Xeon W3570 CPU
EVGA Classified Motherboard
3 x 1GB Crucial Value DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Memory
Corsair HX1000 PSU
Seagate 500GB SATA II Hard Drive
Galaxy Nvidia Geforce 9800GT GPU
Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate Edition OS

For full load testing we used LinX software which can stress the CPU more than any other application available at our disposal.

[BREAK=Results]

Since the TRUE has been our favorite for extreme AIR testing till now, we decided to include it in our testing so that we could gauge as to how the Arrow fares against the mighty TRUE.

2864b5fc31321822.jpg

As you can see in the above graph, thanks to the 2 radiators of the Arrow, it beats the TRUE under load but at idle the TRUE does a better job when both the coolers are used in passive setup.

2864b5fc3126c0f5.jpg

Then we bumped up the CPU to 3.6 GHz and we see that the Arrow starts showing its potential here, comprehensively beating the TRUE in both idle and full load scenarios.

2864b5fc315eb862.jpg

Now with the CPU running at 4GHz and both coolers being cooled by a single low CFM fan, both coolers are close to each other at idle but the Arrow edges out the TRUE under load

2864b5fc3156cc1f.jpg

Keeping everything same, we just put a single high CFM fan instead of a low CFM one. Let’s see how much of a difference it makes. More or less the same scenario as we saw above, just that the temperatures have dropped at idle as well as for full load for both the coolers. Shall we say, we are already liking this cooler? Alright, not so fast, the REAL test is yet to come.

2864b5fc3150a0fc.jpg

At 4.3GHz, we are really pushing the coolers. We are using 2 low CFM fans now for both the coolers. Again the TRUE beats the Arrow at idle whereas the Arrow continues its dominance at full load.

2864b5fc3137e22d.jpg

The final test, with 2 high CFM fans on both coolers, the TRUE still manages to edge out the Arrow at idle but sadly loses out at full load tests.

Since Thermalright sent us the X-Silent 140, we decided to run a few tests to see how well it fares. We ran tests at 4GHz and 4.3GHz and the results are in the above graph. Not bad for a silent fan is it?

2864b5fc31657256.jpg

[BREAK=Conclusion]

These tests just show that the Arrow manages to comprehensively beat the TRUE where it really matters! Should we say that we have found a worthy successor to our beloved TRUE? I guess we have.
Although the TRUE ruled the extreme AIR cooling segment for a very long time, it was quite obvious that there would be a cooler which manages to beat the TRUE.
The Arrow manages to do just that. Although we have still not tested the Noctua D14 cooler which was launched recently, we would like to test that one to see whether it has the same potential as the Arrow and would also be keen to see who emerges the winner between the Arrow and D14.
Edit - Technic 3D has reviewed the same cooler and in their testing the Arrow beats the D14 by a decent margin.
Whether or not this cooler becomes a success depends on how well Thermlaright prices it. One of the reasons for the TRUE’s success lies in its price. It was excellent VFM for the kind of performance it delivered.
Lets hope Thermalright repeats that with the Arrow too. Expected pricing is ~3.5K which will make it a worthy replacement for the TRUE in terms of pricing as well
So all those benchmarking enthusiasts out there, you know what to buy for your AIR based benching endeavors!
Thanks to Thermalright for the review sample.
Score Card -
Features : 9/10
Performance : 10/10
Value For Money : 9/10
Overall : 9.5/10

A worthy contender to the D14 and the IFX14. Cogage made no mistake w.r.t the pricing of the TRUE Spirit - I guess they'd do the same for this one as well.

Brilliant review sir! Pics stood out among the rest! :)

Nice review appo. Does that mean a combo comprising of the Arrow and the top end Noctua fans could be a marriage made in heaven?

And a suggestion, this 1366 l33tness is cool but why leaving the 1156 junta out? Kindly do some benching for poor 1156 holding folks like messa. :)

Now thats what i call a Picture Perfect Review. Cause its the photographs which make the review more lively and elaborated. I guess couple of people here on TE need to learn a lot from this review, specially when enough photographs are not enough at all. Including me.

Pro grade review.

Re: Cogage Arrow CPU Cooler Review – Dual Rad FTW!

Excellent review of this product.

What really impressed me was the mounting mechanism. The user can remove the cooler without having to remove the board. Will help in CPU change / re - TIM / HSF clean out cycles.

Though am scared of the fact, only two bolts are holding this monster in place. Wish they had managed 4 (criss-cross), would even the load out.

I don't think this can come even near to D-14

@appo - in ur review where u had compared TRUE with Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 the U12P was beating TRUE by some 2-3 degrees its the same here so i doubt D-14 can be compared to this one.

You may compare this to NH-U12PSE2 and still u only get 1 Fan with this and with U12P-SE2 you get 2.

^Looks more like you're supporting the sales of the Noctua lineup with that cause Rahul but so long as the D14 is not actually compared with this cooler, we cannot come to a conclusion.

I have just told what i have read in both the reviews .. i read his TRUE vs Noctua U12P SE2 review and saw this one too.

If u think what i have said is biased or anything like that ignore my comment. I am sure people here don't blindly believe anything/

And supporting Noctua yes i am .. obviously. :)

TheITWares said:
I don't think this can come even near to D-14

@appo - in ur review where u had compared TRUE with Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 the U12P was beating TRUE by some 2-3 degrees its the same here so i doubt D-14 can be compared to this one.

You may compare this to NH-U12PSE2 and still u only get 1 Fan with this and with U12P-SE2 you get 2.

With quiet, low CFM fans the D14 has the edge over the Arrow. However with medium to high CFM fans it gets beaten by the Arrow nearly every time.

from Xbitlabs -
"And what about the Noctua NH-D14? This Austrian super-cooler is 1°C more effective than the other tested products in the quiet mode with the two 120mm fans working at 800 RPM. At the medium speed of 1200 RPM it is overtaken by the Cogage Arrow. And at the maximum speed of 1600 RPM the Noctua NH-D14 is also overtaken by the new Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme. So, the Noctua NH-D14 doesn’t enjoy an overwhelming advantage here."
"The Cogage Arrow is somewhat better than the Thermalright IFX-14 and is overall as effective as the Noctua NH-D14.Anyway, our today’s tests suggest that the Noctua NH-D14 is not an unrivalled leader anymore"

Technic 3D -
Google Translate

Ok

From The same xbit labs review just 1 para below -

The results are even closer when the coolers are tested with two fans at 1600 RPM. The three leaders do not differ in terms of peak CPU temperature although the Noctua makes the CPU stable at a higher frequency: 20 MHz higher than with the Cogage and 40 MHz higher than with the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme C.

TheITWares said:
Ok

The results are even closer when the coolers are tested with two fans at 1600 RPM. The three leaders do not differ in terms of peak CPU temperature although the Noctua makes the CPU stable at a higher frequency: 20 MHz higher than with the Cogage and 40 MHz higher than with the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme C.

Grrr import this cooler for us rahul.

TheITWares said:
Ok

I'm not saying that the Arrow is a better HSF :) Both coolers are targeted at different segments, performance and price wise. Its a good alternative for people on a budget who desire a high performance cooler.

Who is making it available here ? Rahul your site is not working tried to log on couple of times today.

I liked your review and am surprised that this thing is available in India already?!

and yet decent enough performance considering its lower price.
What's its price? You did mention it was lower, but didn't mention how much. I'll request to please mention its price in Rs. for all future reviews. As for now, I have to see prices in $ and gauge how much will it be in India considering shipping etc!

Also, I was thinking to make an AMD rig next month. But unfortunately this thing doesn't support AMD out-of-the-box. Can you please tell me if the retention kits for it are readily available in India? If yes, then how much more is it gonna cost me.

Thanks again for the wonderful review.

EDIT: Ah! I forgot something. Have you reviewed Venomous-X and Megahalems? They are supposedly the Kings of air-cooling. Also what were the ambient temperatures at the time of testing? The results are known to be skewed when the ambient temps change. I hope that the ambient temps were the same for both the coolers, otherwise the results will be skewed.

I'd love to see all the Kings of coolers compared in one chart.
Megahalems, Ven-X, Noctua NH-D14 and this Arrow!

@shah jahan, yep ambients were same at all times.
will review the venomous-x soon :)
approx pricing (as per TR rep) will be 3.5k locally for the arrow. Since Prime is the local TR distri you can inquire there about availability.
The current TR AM2/AM3 bolt thru kits might not be compatible so maybe something like the 939 bolt thru kit for IFX-14 might be launched for this cooler too
but imho this HSF will be overkill for an AMD platform

apollyon said:
@shah jahan, yep ambients were same at all times.
will review the venomous-x soon :)
Great!

apollyon said:
approx pricing (as per TR rep) will be 3.5k locally for the arrow.
Though still a high price for a heatsink, but still comparatively cheaper than the other best breeds.

apollyon said:
Since Prime is the local TR distri you can inquire there about availability.
Who are 'prime'? If they are available in Mumbai for Rs.3500, I'd most probably get it.

apollyon said:
The current TR AM2/AM3 bolt thru kits might not be compatible so maybe something like the 939 bolt thru kit for IFX-14 might be launched for this cooler too
Ouch! That hurts! I hope they have a retention for AM3 by next month (in India!) They say that it does support AM3 optionally, so I surmised there might be a kit for it. Now I'm sad :(

apollyon said:
but imho this HSF will be overkill for an AMD platform
I plan to get a Phenom II 555BE and hopefully unlock it to a Quad. The word on the street is that most of the chips unlock ;)
And since it has C3 core stepping and newer refined silicon, it OC'ies great too. Its just that the chips are not available in India, yet.

So I had planned to get a 555 and unlock it to a Quad and OC it to hopefully 3.8 GHz 24x7 and to its highest stable (hopefully 4GHz) for special sometimes. But that would generate a lot of heat, since my room can get 40C during summers and AMDs are not as good in tolerating heat than Intels. The official max temp for 555 is 70C but is known to crap out from 62C. Hence I needed an efficient cooler. I thought I had found one, but now I'm lost again. Its really frustrating that AMD is ignored by EVERY high-performance coolers :mad:
EDIT: I was searching for AMD kit for Arrow and I stumbled upon Thermalright's website here. Could use some help! From the given link, can you/someone please tell me which kit is most likely to work with AM3 socket?

ShahJahan said:
Who are 'prime'? If they are available in Mumbai for Rs.3500, I'd most probably get it.

EDIT: I was searching for AMD kit for Arrow and I stumbled upon Thermalright's website here. Could use some help! From the given link, can you/someone please tell me which kit is most likely to work with AM3 socket?

Prime ABGB is a renown computer hardware dealer/distri in mumbai
Computers, Peripherals, Cameras, Laptops, Gaming Equipment Tech Heaven

And btw the 555BE is available locally, a user named harakiri bought one recently iirc.

I have seen that page for TR bolt thru kits but you'll need a kit which will be similar to the one that the IFX 14 has and thats the 939 bolt thru kit. But i dunno if it will fit an AM3 board

Back