Confused between the SE Vivaz and the SE Xperia X10

johnsunder

Disciple
Jan 15, 2009
Pondicherry/Chennai
I need a camera first. Instead of buying one, I thought I will get a phone with a good camera. So I zeroed in on these 2 phones SE Vivaz and the Xperia X10. I can take the price difference if the X10 is truly a great phone and does not have much of unlivable problems. Please advice.

Thanks.

Nov 24, 2011
Delhi
I need a camera first. Instead of buying one, I thought I will get a phone with a good camera. So I zeroed in on these 2 phones SE Vivaz and the Xperia X10. I can take the price difference if the X10 is truly a great phone and does not have much of unlivable problems. Please advice.

Thanks.

Plz use the template for the mobile buying advice. That way we can help u much better.

johnsunder

Disciple
Jan 15, 2009
Pondicherry/Chennai
Plz use the template for the mobile buying advice. That way we can help u much better.

Sorry about that, here we go

Questions:-
1. Q: Budget?
A: <10k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Prefer HTC, SE or Nokia

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G,Wifi.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and internet.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Want a fast performing phone with a good camera

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
SE VIVAZ or SE Xpreria X10

Yes, I understand these phones are out of production which is why I am getting a sweet deal on them, so please let me know if there is any inherent problem with any of these phones

ch@ts

Skilled
Jun 13, 2005
In 10k you'll get a pretty decent camera. Something like the Fujifilm FinePix S2950 will come for about Rs. 9,000. It's got 14mp, 18x optical zoom, and optical image stabilization.

If you need a camera, then go for a camera.

While a 5mp phone cam won't compare in quality, it'll be more handy, and you'll always have it with you. Between the 2 devices you've listed, the X10 seems like the obvious choice.

johnsunder

Disciple
Jan 15, 2009
Pondicherry/Chennai
In 10k you'll get a pretty decent camera. Something like the Fujifilm FinePix S2950 will come for about Rs. 9,000. It's got 14mp, 18x optical zoom, and optical image stabilization.

If you need a camera, then go for a camera.

While a 5mp phone cam won't compare in quality, it'll be more handy, and you'll always have it with you. Between the 2 devices you've listed, the X10 seems like the obvious choice.

I am getting the Vivaz for 7k and the Xperia for 12k, do you think 5k difference is justified in going for the Xperia ? Of course, I love it's looks and it is an Android with a 1 GHz chip.

ch@ts

Skilled
Jun 13, 2005
Whether it's worth the difference or not is something you have to decide yourself. I suppose how long you intend to keep the phone, and how you use it will form a big part of the answer.
With the Vivaz, you're saving a bit of cash, but you're investing in a platform that's dying. But Symbian is still a very capable smartphone OS.

The Xperia may be out of production, but it's still got pretty decent hardware, and looks really pretty.

It's a bit like this, you can run your computer on Windows 2000, and still play games, surf the net, and edit office documents, but is it something you really want to do?

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
@johnsunder - If you are considering phones with manufacturer warranty then consider the Samsung Galaxy Ace ~ 10.9k and the SE Xperia Mini ~ 10.8k

Sony Ericsson Xperia mini review: Small is the new big - GSMArena.com
The image quality is identical to what we saw on the mini pro - good, but it could have been much better. There’s enough of fine detail in the Xperia mini shots and the color rendering is good, but the noise levels are too high.
The image quality of SE Xperia Mini is pretty average but it has a powerful MSM8255 1GHz SoC which supports flash during web browsing and flash based games. Also it has an official Android ICS upgrade.

The image quality is as good as you can expect from a 5MP camera. The contrast is nice as is the color rendering. The amount of captured detail is very high too and the noise levels are kept reasonable. Overall, you get pretty pleasant results with this one, which is something we didn’t expect to see from a device in this class.
The Ace's camera is the best in this price point. But then it has a mediocre 800MHz MSM7227 and it doesnt support flash based apps or in the browser. Also no official ICS upgrade.

Samsung Galaxy Ace Price in India | S5830 Specifications, Features and Reviews - Rs.10,895
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - Buy Online in India for Rs.10,999 as on 18th June 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com - Rs.10,999
Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini ST15i - Buy Online in India for Rs.10,799 as on 18th June 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com - Rs.10,799

IINM Buytheprice has a flat 5% off if you use ICICI netbanking or card.

Last edited by a moderator: