Monitors Connecting XBox and PC in parallel to AOC monitor

Hi all,
I have a AOC F22 full HD monitor which has a VGA and a DVI-D port. I currently connect my PC to the monitor's VGA slot. I have a Xbox 360 now (doesn't have a HDMI slot) and I have bought a VGA HD cable to connect it to my PC.
My question is that can I connect my desktop to the DVI-D slot using a VGA-female to DVI-D male adapter and then use the vacant VGA slot for my Xbox. I don't want to get into the tedious activity of changing the cord every time. I don't know if this matters, but my PC doesn't have a graphic card and I am currently using the onboard graphic card.
If the above is not possible, can I use the adapter for the Xbox and connect that to the DVI-D slot.
End game is I want both to be available in parallel which can perhaps be changed at a click of a button or restart.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Does your mobo have dvi output? If yes, get a dvi cable and connect PC to monitor via dvi cable.
What is a VGA-HD cable? You can't convert from digital to analog thru a simple cable.

I am talking about this:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/VGA-HD-AV-Au..._203&hash=item20d3efc59f&_uhb=1#ht_2644wt_922

Edit: Just checked - Motherboard doesn't have a DVI slot. Only VGA[DOUBLEPOST=1379831832][/DOUBLEPOST]I was also going through other threads in the forum and cam across this option of using a KVM switch as well. Will a KVM switch solve my purpose if the above DVI<->VGA option doesn't work. Will there be any substantial loss of video quality?

Last edited:
I was also going through other threads in the forum and cam across this option of using a KVM switch as well. Will a KVM switch solve my purpose if the above DVI<->VGA option doesn't work. Will there be any substantial loss of video quality?
With a KVM switch you will be able to switch the display from PC to XBox and vice versa.
But at Full HD resolution you will notice noise and blurred text with such a switch. Worst case, it might now even support Full HD.
I say this from experience. I have an old Aten PS2 KVM and it doesn't work well with my HD monitor.
The ebay link you posted, I am not quite sure what it does. My best guess is that it converts HDMI to VGA+Audio(Left and Right). Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/dp/B0041D1L3W

Does your monitor have Component or Composite video input?

These are your connectivity options.
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/connect-xbox-360-console-tv

One solution would be to buy a reasonably priced graphics card with a DVI port and use the monitor's DVI port for the PC freeing the VGA port for your XBox.

Do not go for a KVM - its not needed. Rather, you will notice the blur and detest the experience.

Keep changing cables - since using two inputs too is not feasible - on my Dell S2240L - unless either of the wires is removed, it would show blank display. It defaults to what is selected in the monitor menu - but I stopped using the dual inputs.

So a KVM switch will result in a loss of quality? I read a couple of posts (1 being the link mndar had posted) and also checked some YT videos but they didn't really warn about the video quality degradation.
@vivek.krishnan , did you get a poor output inspite of using a 2048 x 1536 supported KVM switch?

get a good KVM switch - shouldn't cause any issues.

i have an aoc i2757.. monitor. this one has dual HDMI - I can switch using the monitor touch controls....

So a KVM switch will result in a loss of quality? I read a couple of posts (1 being the link mndar had posted) and also checked some YT videos but they didn't really warn about the video quality degradation.
@vivek.krishnan , did you get a poor output inspite of using a 2048 x 1536 supported KVM switch?

Actually, since the KVMs are used with a 1024x768 monitor and same res (2xservers) - that itself has blur issues.

Back