Car & Bike Cruze - DPF and Engine Oil.

vb86

Adept
Hi.

I own a Cruze. It is the old model with 150ps horsepower.

Does the Cruze in India come fitted with a DPF (diesel particulate filter)? The reason why I'm asking is because cars that do have this filter require a ACEA "C3" grade engine oil. As per the car manual, I need to use 5W40 ACEA C3 oil.

I called up an authorised service centre - Shiva Motors in Noida to ask them since my car used to go there for servicing initially. They had no clue. I asked them to tell me which oil they use and the answer was Total Quartz 9000 5W40. The ACEA grade for this is "A3/B4". This made me think that the Cruze in India does not come with a DPF after all.

Then I called up Metro Chevrolet in Vasant Kunj, Delhi. Again, they had no clue about the DPF. They however use the same oil. Then I told them that the last time I visited, they had offered me 2 engine oils. They confirmed that the other oil is Mobile 1 Super XE 3000 5W30. This costs much more. Upon checking the specs online, I found out that this does have a "C3" ACEA grade.

This confuses me. I can't figure out if the Indian Cruze comes fitted with a DPF or not. If it does, then isn't the Total oil potentially harming the car? If it doesn't which is the best fuel that I can use. A quick glance at other Indian forums led me to believe the Mobile 1 Delvac 1 is a favourite when it comes to diesel cars.

Thanks.

Ok. Just and update:

The Indian Cruze does not have a DPF. Hence, C3 grade fuel is not required. The Mobile 1 oil they use is A5/B5 and not C3.

This was confirmed by Chevrolet.

Try Mobil Delvac 1
Will be very hard to get. Fifty percent of Mumbai retailers did not have clue about "DELVAC 1"

One guy even argued with me that i have been mistaken and there is no oil named DELVAC 1 by Mobil. There is only MOBIL 1

Delvac 1 sells for around 880 bucks per liter. So if your svc charge similar amount for the oil they put, its better you buy Delvac 1 from outside and ask them to put it during servicing. For my swift svc charged 2k for the 3L Castrol 5w30 oil (Which is not even recommended grade in manual) which cost 450/L outside ! ...

U know whenever i go to a BP petrol pump, i see mak oil bottles there, some with a specific car mentioned on it. I definitely remember seeing a Chevy cruze label too. Go check...

Thanks for the replies guys. So here is the update:

Metro Chevrolet has confirmed to me in writing that the Indian Cruze does not have a DFP installed. Hence, it does not require a C3 grade oil. They use Total Quartz 9000 oil which is A3/B4. They also offer Mobil 1 as a more expensive alternative.

I have physically checked the oil at Shiva Motors. They use Total Quartz 9000 LS. This LS indicates that it is a low saps oil and is of C3 grade indeed. Even the car manual recommends C3 grade.

The GM at Metro Chevrolet brushed my concerns saying that the manual assumes that the Indian Cruze has a DFP filter while it actually doesn't.

To summarize things:

1. I don't know which oil my car came with from the factory.
2. First oil change was at Shiva Motors and was probably the C3 variant.
3. Second oil change was at Metro Chevrolet and was probably the A3/B4 variant.

My whole point of doing this exercise in the first place was to see if I could use Delvac 1 in my car. Someone told me that since the Cruze has a DFP filter, the only fuel I should be using is the one which has a grade of C3 as per ACEA.

Hi.

I did speak to a Mobil 1 seller who offered me Delvac 1 at Rs. 700/litre. I however am more interested in Delvac 1 ESP. Not only is it a CJ-4 grade oil, it supports an ACEA rating of E7 and E9. E9 grade means that it is ok to use in cars with DPFs installed. So, if the old 150ps Cruze does have this filter, I shouldn't face any problems!

Unofrtunately, I can't find Delvac 1 ESP anywhere!

The one I bought is ESP. Can is silver in colour not black, I guess black cans have old mrp hence lower price.
@vb86 : Pack does not mention wheather oil is SHC or ESP. Only SAE 5W40 is mentioned on the front sticker. You need to check specs at the back to differentiate if its SHC or ESP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

I did speak to a Mobil 1 seller who offered me Delvac 1 at Rs. 700/litre. I however am more interested in Delvac 1 ESP. Not only is it a CJ-4 grade oil, it supports an ACEA rating of E7 and E9. E9 grade means that it is ok to use in cars with DPFs installed. So, if the old 150ps Cruze does have this filter, I shouldn't face any problems!

Unofrtunately, I can't find Delvac 1 ESP anywhere!

Delvac1 ESP is even news for me. Never knew about it

When delvac1 is hard to find with retailers, delvac1 ESP will be very very difficult. Will keep an eye. If I find it anywhere in Mumbai will let you know

Same is with c4 grade coolant and 75 90 grade synthetic gear oil. Very hard to find. I found a dealer who stocks mogul 75 90 synthetic gear oil but still can't find c4 grade coolant

By the way all these lubes and oil are for my friends Laura who is in Surat but comes once a month to Mumbai to get his car serviced or repaired if needed

The one I bought is ESP. Can is silver in colour not black, I guess black cans have old mrp hence lower price.
@vb86 : Pack does not mention wheather oil is SHC or ESP. Only SAE 5W40 is mentioned on the front sticker. You need to check specs at the back to differentiate if its SHC or ESP.

Where did you buy ESP? I'm in Delhi and spoke to the distributor here. He said he doesn't have ESP and there was no way that he could arrange it for me!

Also, I googled Delvac 1 ESP and the front sticker does mention ESP.

mobil-delvac-1-esp-5w-40-supreme-performance-heavy-duty-diesel-3-78litri-971.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I have seen 5 litre can with dealer and have 1L can, both do not have ESP mentioned... I'll put pics of Can I have with me in sometime...

Cool. Also, which city are you located in?

I asked the distributor in Delhi and he said that this product is not officially available in India. It's not mentioned on the Indian product webpage either.

Im from Pune. I got it from official mobil distributor. Check out the label n pics !

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371193611951.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371193611951.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 200
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371193626618.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371193626618.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 238
label clearly says its imported by exxonmobil dunno why delhi chaps are denying that !!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371193986010.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371193986010.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 206
Bro, I checked the specs on your photos. You don't have the ESP variant. You have the regular Delvac 1. This is available in Delhi. I can get it for Rs. 700/litre.

Are you sure its regular one ? I don't see regular variant of D1 on mobile website. Only ESP n SHC are there ! ... The case could be that the website is regularly updated and the cans available are of 2011 make, black ones are even older like 2008-2009 mfg. I see few specs missing on my can but the one which are mentioned match most of the ones mentioned on website...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371201400447.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371201400447.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 205
Your specs match the normal Delvac 1.

ESP has an ACEA rating of E9 and E7. Yours has a rating of E7 and E4 which matches the regular Delvac 1 - 5W40.
ESP supports an API grade of CJ-4. Yours goes up to CI-4 plus which matches the regular Delvac 1 - 5W40.

These are the main differentiating factors.

Back