Dell Inspiron 15r SE vs Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN

rgsilent

Disciple
Had created a thread previously and almost bought CB45 when I ran into some personal issues. Now back and looking for something better.

• What's your Budget? - 60k max.
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? - I'm a web designer and developer. Need the machine to run firefox/chrome with lots of tabs, Photoshop and Sublime Text 2 together at most times. HD video playback and decent gaming performance is a plus.
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? - Larger screen is better. 15 inch is ideal, I think. Weight is of no issue. Lesser the better but can't have best of everything.
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? No preference as this is my first laptop. I trust members to suggest brands which are good with support/rma.
  • Any other considerations? - Resolution, again, as high as possible. Can look like a brick for all I care. Good battery life is appreciated as it gets annoying otherwise especially as I'll be using it in college where I might not always get to plug it in.

After having done a bit of research I have shortlisted Dell Inspiron 15r SE (top model) and Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN. Dell offers full hd while Samsung comes with 900p which is quite good for a 15 inch. I don't know much about battery life. Dell has a slightly inferior graphic card, I think. Please help me out here :D

Inspiron -> good enough GPU (650M - 7730M = 25 percent), much much better screen, best ASS, pukey keyboard, design ok ok.
Samsung - beast GPU, better battery life, blasting speakers, lighter.

Bottomline, samsung is a true VFM meant for pure gaming (any GPU intensive tasks), but if you care for screen (quality + resolution) and ASS, inspiron is for you.

Inspiron -> good enough GPU (650M - 7730M = 25 percent), much much better screen, best ASS, pukey keyboard, design ok ok.
Samsung - beast GPU, better battery life, blasting speakers, lighter.

Bottomline, samsung is a true VFM meant for pure gaming (any GPU intensive tasks), but if you care for screen (quality + resolution) and ASS, inspiron is for you.

Gaming is not at the top of my priority list.

Can you elaborate on the puky keyboard bit? As a designer I'd like the best screen. But as a developer I need a good keyboard too. Tough to decide. :-s

Samsung does seem to be my preference at this point. Only thing in favour of Dell seems to be the resolution.

I'm not able to see any configuration of 15r SE with Full HD screen ? it was there some days back but not now ...
As far as the choice between these 2 laptops..surely the samsung series 5 has an edge but if you have the full HD screen in 15r SE then go got it as Dell ASS is best not sure about samsung.

Gaming is not at the top of my priority list.

Can you elaborate on the puky keyboard bit? As a designer I'd like the best screen. But as a developer I need a good keyboard too. Tough to decide. :-s

Samsung does seem to be my preference at this point. Only thing in favour of Dell seems to be the resolution.

Pukey keyboard as in its a full flat bed keyboard with no adequate spacing, plus num pad keys are too small. Chiclet keyboard was a must at this budget.

Samsung one have some serious graphics performance issue. Which is not solved by samsung till yet. It throttles alot during GPU intensive game plays. Most of the buyers have already replaced their Laptops from samsung to a new one under warranty but the issue is still unresolved. So it does't matter it have a beast GPU or Not, It is just a fail.

Samsung one have some serious graphics performance issue. Which is not solved by samsung till yet. It throttles alot during GPU intensive game plays. Most of the buyers have already replaced their Laptops from samsung to a new one under warranty but the issue is still unresolved. So it does't matter it have a beast GPU or Not, It is just a fail.

Its not a fail actually. I do agree that many users faced the throttling issue but many bypassed this. Throttling is occuring due to some implementation by samsung which downclocks the GPU under high temps. Some of the users solved this issue just by using a simple trick of keeping laptop on a level (book).

Its not a fail actually. I do agree that many users faced the throttling issue but many bypassed this. Throttling is occuring due to some implementation by samsung which downclocks the GPU under high temps. Some of the users solved this issue just by using a simple trick of keeping laptop on a level (book).

I guess I'll have to look into it. Maybe Dell is a good option. :S

If gaming is not your priority, then inspiron SE is good for you..7730m is really a good GPU..

Other options, u can check out sony vaio E14A as well below
SVE14A15FN : E Series : VAIOâ„¢ Laptop & Computer : Sony India

It has good build quality, looks and screen(1600 x 900) and best thing is it has very good heat dissipation...

Small screen size and i5. I think I'll rule it out, especially considering the price.

Still undecided. Have to go tomorrow to buy. Which one should I pick? Lots of people are facing heating issues with Samsung and I don't want that. But I don't know whether the dell special edition ones will be available at Lamington road. Any help?

http://www.techenclave.com/laptop-buying-advice/50-55k-gaming-laptop-136962/

Check out this thread as well. ^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rejected the Dell for its utterly BS keyboard. But our purposes for the machine are different.

Keyboard is of importance to me as I have to code a fair bit on it. Don't all 15r inspirons have the same keyboard? In that case I can't go with it as I've used my friend's and it's totally crap.

Bought the samsung one today for 58.5k. Haven't used it for any heavy duty work yet. Keyboard seems nice and speakers are damn good. Trackpad's crap though. Unresponsive.

Congrats on your purchase!

How is the display Quality?

Thanks and it's pretty good. 1600*900 gives enough room too. Haven't tried any games or HD movies yet but so far it's been good.

Trackpad seems very unresponsive at times. Is this the case for other owners too?

I am planning to buy the same but I have heard that samsung has some serious throttling and Heating issues. Is it true ?

I haven't played any intensive games yet. The only game I've played is AOE III. Laptop was quite hot when I touched it at the end of the game. I didn't see the exact temps sadly. I'll definitely post them when I play again.

Right now I've had the machine on since 45minutes (surfing only) and the CPU temperate is 45 degrees. No AC over here, laptop is on the couch and this is Mumbai, always hot. So temps are fine for general usage. Battery life is decent. End up getting 5 hours or so of light use.

Back