Laptops Dell Studio Sim Slot?

challapradyumna

Skilled
Aug 11, 2011
Bangalore
There is a sim card slot behind the battery in my dell studio 15 . Any tips on how to use it and what is it compatible with? Does our normal cell phone sim work on it??

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
Our normal sim works. But u need wireless broadband card for that, costs from 3k. And also make sure that card is compatible with your laptop model.

Vince

Boogie-Man
Skilled
Jun 11, 2005
wordsunchained.blogspot.com
@avi: what is the wireless broadband card for? Can we use a normal sim and say 3G ?

( LoL.. i was wondering about this for 1 year :p Never thought of posting it here :p )
Edit: Yaaaay! My 1500th post!! :clap:

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
Yes, u can use 3G also :)

I have Dell XPS couldn't find correct compatible card for my in India so i didn't buy it. Was thinking to import from ebay.com, but was price was getting more than 5K. And I bought USB Modem for 1.7k instead :eek:hyeah:

Dell US has option to include in lappie while purchasing.

Pros compared to USB modem are strong signal strength, good speed, no need to carry extra device & waste one USB port.

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
Gannu said:
Errr isn't that a dummy SIM slot? AFAIK we are supposed to install a mini PCI-E WWAN module into the laptop first and then do the rest. Simply inserting a sim card doesn't help unless the laptop comes with a WWAN card pre-installed from the factory.

Yup. If your laptop has a WWAN slot, you need to insert the WWAN card, this has the SIM card connections to the slot outside.

wecaz

Disciple
Aug 26, 2007
avi said:
Yes, u can use 3G also :)

I have Dell XPS couldn't find correct compatible card for my in India so i didn't buy it. Was thinking to import from ebay.com, but was price was getting more than 5K. And I bought USB Modem for 1.7k instead :eek:hyeah:

Dell US has option to include in lappie while purchasing.

Pros compared to USB modem are strong signal strength, good speed, no need to carry extra device & waste one USB port.

Cons: I have never used internal card, but I guess there will be heating issue during high speed downloads.

hA1d3R

Adept
Oct 1, 2008
no there wont be any heating issues . afaik hp and lenovo lock their BIOS for specific cards . i am selling one in the market section in case you are interested

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
Here is back panel of my XPS L501x :

OZMWC.jpg

and here one has to install the card :

fPiNL.jpg

I just checked ebay.com & the prices seem low. One can get 7.2 MBPS, GSM + CDMA, 2G & 3G support at around 2k :)

Reactions: 1 person

tarunactivity

Disciple
Aug 12, 2007
Either check the device manager for the WWAN module,

or ,

open the bottom panel of the laptop, and see if the WWAN module is populated!