PC Peripherals Desktop PC Reloaded

Hi all,

Its been a long time since I have posted on TE forums main reason being work work work. I completely lost track of hardware once the socket 478 became obsolete and i now decided to revive my dekstop even though my toshy x200 lappy takes care of my casual gaming needs. Below are the parts that will be part of my new rig :eek:hyeah: . I will use my 26 inch samsung lcd tv as a monitor:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
MSI X48C Platinum Motherboard
Corsair XMS2 DHX 2 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz Desktop Memory
MSI ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2GB GDDR5 R4870X2
Asus ATAPI / E-IDE DRW-1814BL DVD Writer
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 500GB 7200RPM ST3500320AS
Tagan BZ800 800W Modular Power Supply
Cooler Master RC-932-KKN1-GP Full Tower Computer Case
Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard
Logitech MX Air mouse
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit Single Pack

Let me know your views guys :)

rams are not such a good choice.. instead go for either G-skills or something better.. if you want precise info about rams.. ask supra from TE :)

Is a 26" lcd good choice good for full time computer usage ? It's good for movies and games surely but text/browsing won't looks really great on it .

Are you actually building this ? If yes I would reccommend a better processor maybe the Q9550 and OC it otherwise you'll hold back your gfx card or maybe you could go for the E8500/E8600 if you wanna only game.

You would also wanna go for some heatsink.

daviescool said:
Hi all,

Its been a long time since I have posted on TE forums main reason being work work work. I completely lost track of hardware once the socket 478 became obsolete and i now decided to revive my dekstop even though my toshy x200 lappy takes care of my casual gaming needs. Below are the parts that will be part of my new rig :eek:hyeah: . I will use my 26 inch samsung lcd tv as a monitor:

Logitech MX Air mouse

U're completely out of synch with the comp scenario I guess :p [And so am I to an extent :ashamed:].

Lets have a few modifications. Lets know ur budget first, so that we can rule out the real unwanted stuff from the specs. :)

* Unless you're investing in a crossfire setup, the X48 board's merely a waste IMO. For resolutions upto 1920x1200, the P45 board should suffice you. Get an Asus P5Q Deluxe. Should be ~ 12k odd.

* Processor's fine although U can as well get the Q9550 for that extra budget u're shelling out. :p Being a 45nm chip, should perform a notch better than the older giant. Should be close to 15k odd.

* Get oodles of RAM. The ones u've suggested're fine but there're ones which retail much cheaper with a lesser oomph factor compared to the Dominators. [Believe me I've a pair of one of those 1GB ones rated at PC28500 and I'm selling those cos I need better RAMs for less price :p]. I say get a pair or 2 of the 2GB PI Black ones retailing from the G.Skill ones.

Here's a review of those: Legion Hardware

With this regard, let me quote what Supra suggested me a couple of days back. "it will do arnd 1066Mhz (5-5-5-15) and 900 Mhz (4-4-4-12) easily at arnd 2V. Btw 800Mhz (4-4-4-12) at 1.8V for a 4GB kit is an achievment in it as well". I'm investing in the same kit. It fetches 4.3k a pair. :)

* Get a better hard drive like the new 640GB AACS from WD. Performs a notch better than the older ST3500320AS which's been here for a while now. This has better VFM consider price per GB. :) Fetches close to 3.8k.

Get a couple of those. :D

* U've included a PATA DVD burner of all the things!!! :S

I dont get it. Its the age of SATA optical drives and they retail dead cheap, ppl're investing in a pair of those for heavy burning. :p U may want to invest in a Samsung SH223B or a Benq 1640/1650/1655. Inexpensive. A grand and a couple of hundreds max. :p

*The case's good enough. One good choice which needs no comments. :p

* Whats with the mouse?? :S

Are u intending to do presentations with this system or the casual gaming needs as u mentioned?? :S

Get something like Razer DA, Steelseries Ikari or the MS MS IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. All're meant for right-handed users. :)

*No words for the PSU as well. Good choice. :)

*The GPU's the best [no pun intended for nV fanbois :p].

*That keyboard is literally a dust magnet. If u're ok with the orange backlit keys of the newer Logitech G15, go with that. Its still one of the best gaming keybaords and might require less frequent dusting. :)

*Get the Vista Ultimate X64 duh. :|

PS: Dont forget to do some good cable management with some cable-ties inside that enclosure else u're spoiling its name. :p

Please do yourself a favour by getting a good aftermarket cooler like the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer and some good fans. Rest's well done.

Over and out. :) Sorry for so many smileys around. :ashamed:

daviescool said:
Hi all,

Logitech MX Air mouse

That's some money you are going to pour into your rig. Right now my two cents: Hold.

Wait for one more month and then get i7 with X58 mobo, triple channel DDR3 and 4870X2. It will be expensive but that does not seem to be a concern here.

As for this rig: Q6600 is obsolete now. At least get Q9550
Get Samsung 20X SATA DVD-RW instead of this Asus.
PSU is overkill. You don't need a good, solid PSU with more than 700W

Thanks guys, for the very valuable input. Right now, i wont be changing key components of the system (as u can imagine quite a bit in poured in there already). I read that the Q6600 is a good OC'er and upping the FSB to 1333 mhz wouldnt be a problem.

The mouse i already had so thats just being added. I would primarily use it for gaming, so the browsing bit would be on my lappy. The cpu cooler i could look into the next few months as well as the RAM i guess. THe 4870 x2 sucks quite a lot of power so I was just being safe with PSU. I wasn't aware of the trend of SATA dvd rws:huh: so thats a definite change

if you're using 26" TV as monitor, I'd say that you can safely skip 4870X2 card. Unless you're gaming at 1920 and above resolution (what's the resolution of that TV, by the way?) with every possible thing maxed out, I don't see much point in putting monster do half the work of it's capacity. Not to mention the large feeding that it requires.

Get 4870, put a decent CPU (Q6600 is good enough if you're going OC it)... as most of the guys have said... compliment your system with better and more ram.

As for the CPU cooling... go blindly with either Sunbeamtech CCF or Cooler Master V8 (not sure if it's available yet, and at what cost).

Back