Desktop system freezes and unfreezes

technofast

Huh?
Adept
Aug 26, 2011
Chennai
I have a peculiar problem with my old desktop system which has an Asus H-97 pro MB with i5 4440 cpu along with 16Gb RAM. It also has an Asus GT 710 graphics card for display. For boot purpose I have a Kingston 256 SSD and along with it a 1 TB WD HD. The power supply is Corsair 650W. This system is used for some office work and occasional movie watching. The OS is win 10.

For the past few days the mouse pointer freezes and sometimes for more than 30 to 45secs. However I am able to move the mouse but whenever I try to open any website or any application nothing happens and suddenly it unfreezes and everything works. This happens on and off sometimes within a span of 15 minutes and sometimes in an interval of 30 minutes. I tried removing the RAM sticks and cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol and also recently I applied thermal paste to the CPU but still the same problem occurred. Out of frustration I even reinstalled the OS completely on both the SSD and WD hardisk but the the system still freezes and unfreezes. Please suggest what might be the problem and is there any place I can see a log file for this problem?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
Check application and system entries in windows event viewer around the time span this issue happens?

After you reinstalled the OS did you also reinstall all your apps immediately?

Any special or unusual apps or settings you use?

Also check both SSD and HDD health status, either of them could be failing.

Quick check could be disconnect the HDD and use your system for a while.

Another thing to try open admin command prompt and run the "sfc /scannow" command... SFC being system file checker but this may not be much relevant since you did a fresh install, more likely something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsaeon

Emperor

Skilled
Jan 12, 2006
something near by same issue face by me with old system, not aware what was going on, did various things but no change and after few months found that motherboard capacitor (one capacitor) were swelled & sent board for RMA as was in warranty.

rsaeon

Patron
Jul 8, 2019
However I am able to move the mouse but whenever I try to open any website or any application nothing happens and suddenly it unfreezes and everything works.
Asus H-97 pro MB

The motherboard's old and failing — it's usually one or more bad capacitors that causes freezes in these systems.

Try inspecting the capacitors on the motherboad and see if any are bulging/leaking, maybe take a photo.

Reactions: vishalrao