Camera digital camera

amitash

Disciple
Am looking to buy a professional digital SLR camera, but i have no clue which is good which isnt...budget is around 20-30k.

I got a quote of 27K for the Sony Alpha 200 from a camera store in Forum, Bangalore. I think it's way too overpriced over there. You might get a better deal somewhere else. I think someone on this forum had got one earlier for much less but as far as budget is concerned, I think this is what is available.

Better wait for some more responses from the camera experts.

well my choices for u are canon EOS1000D,sony A200.

the canon EOS1000d probably/arguably produces the best image,but has inferior grip,and viewfinder,and battery life compared to sony A200.
the sony A200 is a bit cheaper u can get it at croma for 23.5k untill the stocks last,btw the croma bangalore kormangala store had 1 A200 left about a month ago ago,even if u do get it for 27k its still cheaper then canon 1000d.
the sony also has in built image stabilization so any lens u put gets free image stabilized image,but the canon lens pricing and availabilty is better.

Dont buy the A200 for 27k. As adder suggested, get the A200 for 23k from Croma or if they are out of stock, get it from here - pixetra - SONY A 200K DSLR from pixetra online

I would suggest the Canon or the Nikon, but their official prices have gone up to around 34k ! Thats almost 10k more than the Sony.

Sure you could go via the grey market. But when you are getting a feature rich camera like the A200 for only 23k, its a good deal.

You wont find too many lenses for Sony. But you can get a good amount of used Minolta lenses that will work perfectly fine with the A200. :)

^^ But do remember that a DSLR is good only if you know its limitations. Yes there are limitation over and above the obvious one of the increased size/weight.

DSLRs have a shallow depth of field. So if you shoot a scene with a lot people in the front and back at a low aperture value f3.5 or f4, you will find the people at the back to be a out of focus. If you try to shoot the same scene with a P&S camera, you will find that the people at the back are quite sharp and more or less in focus.

Other than that you will find DSLRs have a poor zoom range. The kit lens goes only from 28mm - 105mm (approx). A superzoom P&S of the same size will have a zoom range of approx 27-540mm or something.

So do keep that in mind before you decide on a DSLR.

Back