PC Peripherals Discussion about PSU Load Tester

MaxAxe

Disciple
Chaos said:
Also in case you didn't know its not that hard to build a ghetto load tester if you really want to...

Believe me, it is. Its tough to build a reliable one. Ive been discussing it with so many people and they have all come up with ideas, but nothing costs less than 10 grand. I'm talking to a few friends of mine who are electronic engineers, and if we can come up with something under 10 K thats stable and reliable then it may be worth it. But so far its seems like an impossible task. We just dont want to blow the PSU we want to test it.

I have an Idea......... lets have a competition, build PSU load tester under 10 K. I know there are a lot of people here with brains and some cash. Maybe we can come up with something ingenious. What say?

MaxAxe said:
Believe me, it is. Its tough to build a reliable one. Ive been discussing it with so many people and they have all come up with ideas, but nothing costs less than 10 grand. I'm talking to a few friends of mine who are electronic engineers, and if we can come up with something under 10 K thats stable and reliable then it may be worth it. But so far its seems like an impossible task. We just dont want to blow the PSU we want to test it.

I have an Idea......... lets have a competition, build PSU load tester under 10 K. I know there are a lot of people here with brains and some cash. Maybe we can come up with something ingenious. What say?

Its not that hard... All you need are a dozen high capacity switches(arnd 100A rated) and a few hundred 5-20W ceramic resistors. Yes those resistors will cost quite a bit (arnd 10 bux each) but compare that to 1500-2000$ agilent loadtesters, its really a steal. All you need to do is put the resistors in parallel so that they share the current amongst them and load as required. Not that hard... you might have to sacrifice a few cheapo PSUs to do it though to test the thingie. Also you'd need a scope to see the waveform when you load them to the max hehe :p.

Chaos said:
Its not that hard... All you need are a dozen high capacity switches(arnd 100A rated) and a few hundred 5-20W ceramic resistors. Yes those resistors will cost quite a bit (arnd 10 bux each) but compare that to 1500-2000$ agilent loadtesters, its really a steal. All you need to do is put the resistors in parallel so that they share the current amongst them and load as required. Not that hard... you might have to sacrifice a few cheapo PSUs to do it though to test the thingie. Also you'd need a scope to see the waveform when you load them to the max hehe :p.

How long do you think you'll be able to test the PSU with it ? Did you even think about the heat generated ? How do you see the voltage drop ?

Basics dude, thats why I said, lets build one.. lets have a contest.... :cool2:

@broar ...... if you got nothing meaningful to say .......... keep your traps shut :rofl:

LOL I mentioned ceramic resistors didn't I :p. They are rated for a minimum of 5W each and once placed in shunt can take a lot more. They are meant for taking torture like this anyway and since you don't know.... if you put resistors in shunt, the total total power gets distributed across all of them since the current branches... so if you put 200 10W resistors, they can take 2000W without burning. You do need to cool them with a fan though. Didn't I mention you need a scope to check the waveform :p. It'll not only give you the voltage drop, it'll give you how exactly the output looks. If I had the need and the time to build one, I would but unfortunately I have neither.

I guess i skipped pass the scope part earlier.

Thats where the question arises, how long will you be able to test the PSU with that setup? 2-3-4-5-8 hours? Also, how much do you think a decent oscilloscope will cost ?

I really feel sad that i'm not in delhi right now, otherwise the old delhi lajpatrai market or chawdi bazar would definitely have something on the lines of a PSU load tester available.

A decent scope is atleast 50k. There's no way anyone can say how long you can test the PSU without actually testing it.

I know this is an old thread but i have been designing one of these for the past few months and have just been awaiting the funding to build the system.

Here is the parts list for the build:
Google Docs - Loadtester partslist

Here is the basic schematic of the build:
diagram4revision2tz2.jpg

if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations i would be happy to here them. As i mentioned this has been evolving for the past 3 months. You can find the evolution of this design at the following 3 threads.

Building a PSU Dummy Load/ Test Bed - Xtreme CPU
Designing a PSU load tester. - Xtreme CPU
PSU Load Tester Design 4 - Xtreme CPU

Of course the other equipment needed for a proper PSU review will cost a bit of money. Fortunately the site in the links above has an o-scope for me to use and we've already purchased a Power analyzer off ebay for about $200. Other then that i have everything else and just need the $700 for the build.

once again i look forward to any and all questions and comments on this build.

Ummm - solder? Are you sure that's a good thing? I would use screw terminals and multiple runs of solid wire, maybe high-guage magnet wire, crimped and press-fitted. The important thing is to keep parasitic resistance really low - you don't want the secondary effects of heating on any bits, and 10 amp switches may be a little under-specced for something like this.

Just because the current flowing through the switch is within its limits, doesn't mean the switch will work. I haven't been through all the linked threads - but you may have already heard, considered and factored this into your design.

I know you're already some way into the design, but active loads may be easier to design and control. Think of a constant current sink. Your voltages are really low so even low-voltage transistors like a 2N3055 will do fine, and there are better available. Use opamps in to control the base current, and enclose the load and input in a feedback loop - classical current output topology. Positive for source, negative for sink. The OPA549 power opamp can source or sink 8 amperes on its own, but is a little pricey for this kind of an application where you'd need quite a few of them. A power opamp with a transistor for multiplying current would be just perfect for something like this.

You will still need a small precision resistor (~0.05 ohm) in series with each transistor as the active 'load', but the transistor/s will enable you to sink a hundred watts each without problems. It may be cheaper as well, and reduce your dependence on the huge bank of expensive high-power resistors.

Just to clarify to the OP, this will not be within 10K INR, one way or the other. It's just not possible, you can get the resistors just fine, but switches, wire and construction are close to impossible in that budget range. Double that and we're talking.

Well I'm not worried about the heat reaching the point of affecting the solder. The resistors them selfs will do a good job of dissipating heat on there own but they will also be on HSs. I have a couple of massive HS that the resistors will be attached too. Solder will provide a more reliable connection. With terminals there can be added resistance in those connection that will affect the overall load. I have received several, FREE, coils of 16 and 18 AWG wire which will be double and tripled up and soldered together along the length of the wires. This will help reduce the resistance. Care will be taken to ensure all cables are kept to a minimal length to further prevent line resistance.

Image001.jpg

Each switch will have no more then 10A running threw it. Once the resistance of the wires are factored in the actual amperage will be less then the expected value. the switches i'm most woried about are the DPDT i have selected that will allow me to flip from one voltage rail to another on the panel meter to record the loads.

The transistor idea is still being explored and i have schematics for that too. Overall it is the cheaper option. it will save a couple houndred dollar but my knowledge of transistors is very limited. So eventually i will get ahold of a few to test some ideas i have about a better load tester design. In the end the transistor idea may be an adition to the resistor load to help dial in a more accurate load.

As for cost my parts are only about $700 with this design. overall its fairly cheap. As for cost of manpower for the build... Well thats not being figured in as it is for my own use and not for production. Though i am offering up my design to any and all who want to use it or improve upon it. But even if labor was figured in the total cost will still be well under $10K. If you wanted to make this a more versatile tester that uses a PC to control and monitor the loads then the cast can jump about $2k due to price of parts and cost of software development.

Currently I'm tracking another Load tester build her: The Mod Nation :: View topic - Project: PSU tester

he has gown to the existent of making his PC controlled as well as programing his own software.

Now we are also looking to get a professional load tester and have found that a top quality load tester will only run about $3K. You have to call them to get a quote. They are a Malaysian company and if you don't deal directly with them then you will pay a middle man an additional $1500 to $3000 to get the system.

Dongguan Sun Moon Electronics Co.,Ltd-www.sunmoonate.com

That is the unit we will eventually get. For now we are going with this custom built load tester.

Hi Mates ,

There HAs Been A Excellent Project On elektor electronics on PSU Load Testers .But i Will Import One From China Might Be Interested People Can But It And I Can Import It In a Lot .No Need To Reinvent The wheel [If the Wheel Is Cheap] .So You Guys Think Its Gonna Cost You 10K ,HAAAA HAAAA HAAAA .

BTW the switches are rated at 20A at 12VDC. So they are more the able to handle the load. The switch with the safty cover is the main power switch for the test PSU. It will be linked to the green and a ground wire of the 24 pin main connector to power on the PSU. So it will have a very low amount of current flowing threw it.

i'm surprised to see no post edit button. Oh well.

Hi Mates ,
There HAs Been A Excellent Project On elektor electronics on PSU Load Testers .But i Will Import One From China Might Be Interested People Can But It And I Can Import It In a Lot .No Need To Reinvent The wheel [If the Wheel Is Cheap] .So You Guys Think Its Gonna Cost You 10K ,HAAAA HAAAA HAAAA .

Gotta a link to that topic?

I'm very interested in others choices in loads.

Yeah that about how much in USD we'll have to spend to get that Sunmoon tester. But we can get the $700 in parts for cheaper and soner so we are do ing that first. Later we'll get the Sunmoon and have 2 people conducting PSu reviews.

You'll be able to edit your posts after you make a bunch of them.

We were talking 10K INR, not USD, divide by 40 for your currency.

As long as you're sorted with the way you want to build it, no sweat. TI has a samples program so you can pick up a few OPA549 and experiment with low-current active loads, in case you anyway want to learn about building testers.

@amarbir: I seriously question the quality and capabilities of a PSU load tester that retails at Rs. 2500 (approx 80 USD). It needs to load up rails simultaneously, be able to test modern supplies (which means ability to sink loads up to 50 amps on two or more rails) and be precise. It may tell you if the PSU is working or not, but not sure it can be a full stress load.

Hi,

Both My Posts Were Deleted My Mods ,As i Am New Here is Do Not Know Why ,I have been repairing SMPS For 10 Years Now .I Also Use SMPS Load Testers To Test Repaired SMPS Before Giving Them Back To People .I Bet Not Many People Do That .Sangram Do You Understand The Basic Working Principal of the SMPS .If You Want i Can Write a Excellent Article On SMPS Working And Also Its Repairing .But i Am Afraid That the Mods Will Delete IT Again Even Without Letting People Like Me Know What Wrong They Have Done .I Do Not Agree With The Words "Can a 2.5K SMPS Loader Test All The Rails" .Yes of Course It Can .The TL-494 IC Inside The SMPS Will Reliable Detect Any Voltage Rail Going Off Shoot Either Negative or Positive .Thay All Have Tolerances But if Any Rails if off Voltage Limits The Shutdown of the SMPs Will Occur .

Ps :I Hope The Mods To Be a Little More Tolerating And Explanatory .I Had Links To My Website And Thats The reason Some Other Posts Were Deleted Too .Some Mod Asked Me To Edit It i did It Simple .Sometimes We Just Do Not Understand The Rules .It is a Complicated Forum For starters Like Me .

To be honest, you've been posting links to your site all over the forum. It's a bit like entering a room and putting your visiting cards in everyone's pockets. We have a nice place where you can go and introduce yourself. It's called 'introduction lounge'. Nice place to start.

The Second Thing Is That It's Very Difficult To Read When You Type Like This. Use proper sentence case, there is no reason to use upper lower in dialogue, unlike a website or brochure where it is desirable. You can study a few forum etiquette sites. Look them up in Google.

That said, we would love to hear more about SMPS' internal working, but try and keep it simple. I get carried away a lot, and keep throwing vague ones which no one but me can understand. Keep the language simple and tech words out. I ignore this all the time, and am grateful when people point it out to me.

Those kind of posts will not be deleted by mods. However if you post links to a commercial site (which yours is) for some perceived gain, you will have issues on a non-profit site like this one.

Enjoy your stay, and I look forward to seeing you around.

@ anyone who's wondering where the dialog suddenly changed track, Amarbir had mentioned that there was the possibility of getting hold of a SMPS tester for Rs 2500, hence my incredulity.

Yes Sangram,

i did not know i could not use my links ,i have edited them immediately .The Point Was That In China they have very low production costing and hence can make 10k like 2.5k .That was the point i was trying to explain earlier too .

Back