Car & Bike Do you consider Safety features when planning to buy a car ?

raksrules

Elite
Do you consider Safety features when planning to buy a car ? If yes then what are the absolute necessary ones and you would never compromise on ?

Yes. Very much.

My first car was an i10 Magna. Got it like 4 years back. I guess. Told my parents to sell their Opel Vectra which gave around 7Kmpl, Since i also realized I dont enjoy driving cars. I like bikes. :D. Around 2102 Nov or Dec or Jan 2013, they met with an accident. The car was rear ended by a fully loaded lorry. Car flipped 2 or 3 times, hit a electric post and ended up in a drainage thing near by the road. People thought they were no more. Both my dad and mom was inside. My uncle and his family was trailing behind. He also told the same. Entire front end was gone. So is the rear driver side. They had to remove the broken side glass to get them out of the car.

God's grace, My dad had no issues. not even a scratch. He was wearing seatbelt. Mom wasnt. She had some bruises in her chest. Other than that. Nothing. Even her thick solid gold bangle was mangled. but no harm. Not joking. Everyone was surprised and relieved.

Insurance wrote it off as total loss.

For my next car,I only listed cars that had both front airbags and ABS. Atleast. Since my price range was 8~11L. I was hellbent on i20 as it provided the most safety package. But went with Sunny as I wanted a Japaneses Sedan which isn't a Honda.

ABS and airbags are mandatory. It's better to get a mid-level variant with ABS/airbag than to opt for a top-level variant without one. The novelty of a new cars fancy features wears off quickly, but the safety features would always remain with you.

I am sure you are spending a good chunk of money on mediclaim and life insurance every year which would eventually help you AFTER any calamity. Think of this as insurance money you are putting in which helps you BEFORE the calamity. The additional money you would be putting in is worth every penny when you have to stomp on your brakes while going at 90-100 kph on the highway and a cow decides its the perfect time to cross the road. The fancy features like climate control, kick ass music system, body colored handles and ORVM and other frills do not help at all in this situation, does it?

Apart from safety features, the second level of features you may want to look for is what would make your daily drive a stress-less affair. For me, it would be automatic ORVM, day-night rear view mirror, foot rest and hill hold.

I bought the vx variant of the honda amaze simply for abs and airbags . Even though it was almost a lakh of rupees cheaper than the sx version .

ABS+Airbags : An absolute must, this should actually be mandated by law.
Baby seat : Those who have utilised it will agree the peace of mind having a baby car seat brings. Having a toddler sit in someone's lap in the front is way more distracting than anything I've experience.
Seatbelts : Yes these come standard with every car. Make sure the rear seats also have belts. And this goes without saying, always wear a seatbelt. Even if you are in the rear seat. Even if it is a short drive in the neighbourhood.

And there is generally no option to get some features (especially ABS, Airbags) added on later, so it is at the time of purchase that one must select the variant.

In short, never ever compromise on a single safety feature. If you can have it, take it. This includes "accessories" like fog lights as well. Someone put it really well above : think of it like medical insurance which will come in handy to PREVENT harm to you. And we all know, prevention is better than cure.

^^ yes, because it's not as complicated as ESP/ESC and if a vehicle doesn't have ECU then a separate logic unit can be installed for ABS.

Retrofitting airbags need a lot of structural changes and improper installation can seriously harm or even kill somebody.

My primary criteria when looking out for a car was that it should have both airbags. People were asking me what will I do with airbags in city driving but I was adamant. Some even said that airbags deploy at speeds over 80kmph so not useful. WTF!

When it comes to safety I always believe in better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I was impressed by Honda that they did not compromise on this aspect even in their lowest end car then.

I still wonder why airbags are not mandatory in our country !!

In a country where the ads of automobiles never ever advertise safety and always put mileage ahead, you cannot expect them to make it mandatory. Also government is to blame to certain extent. Unless someone high profile dies due to car safety (or lack of), they won't wake up.

Munde died just last week cause he was not wearing seat belt. Imo, seat belts both front & rear, abs, and air bags should be made mandatory for all cars.
Before that, they should make getting driving license stricter. All speedsters getting motorbikes and cars nowadays.

Back