ebay - High custom duties levied

gkay09 said:
^ Well you should know that I dint not initiate refund because he charged Customs, but for the reason that I have still not received the product which I purchased on 7th July, also came to know that I would have to pay customs from my friend who had also bought that item along with me, and he was told to do so and I have yet to receive any info about the same from the seller and only when I initiated the refund I came to know that I have to pay customs, So do you think its fair on the seller part to just sit simply without helping me out in this matter...?

Dont you think you would do the same ???

No I wouldn't do the same. I would have first checked with the seller about delivery status before even initiating a refund request.

But agreed a unsuspecting buyer wouldn't notice the customs related note in the listing and fall into this trap. The seller should very clearly quote the customs charges and make it more clear in his listing.

^ The customs charges are not determined by the seller for him to be able to mention it. Different countries have different custom charges for the same item. Heck, within India itself, the same office charges different duties for the same item. The seller would have been at fault had he not mentioned the customs thing upfront. In this case though, he is clear, considering he mentioned it on his listing, indicated the delay in shipping as it needed to come from a different country, and also provided the tracking info on time. What more should he do? Come home and hand it over personally?

I bought a 7" epad from the same seller around the same date. He din't even had information about status of the courier until I got a call from courier company stating they din't had service in my city (so I told them to use some other courier). Seller is of no use here at all. He orders directly from chinese sites and copies shipment information to your address. But I kept waiting (din't go for refund option). Finally the Epad arrived but it was non working on arrival. I had to look all over internet and install custom firmware to fix it up myself.

And after reading this thread I checked my epad listing too and looks like custom duty clause is there as well but I haven't been charged anything yet (hopefully customs won't wake up later). :D
And trust me, don't pay the duty. These chinese builds aren't really what they appear in pics. You will regret wasting money later.

BTW I hope to write a full fledge review of my epad soon. :)

agantuk said:
^ The customs charges are not determined by the seller for him to be able to mention it. Different countries have different custom charges for the same item. Heck, within India itself, the same office charges different duties for the same item. The seller would have been at fault had he not mentioned the customs thing upfront. In this case though, he is clear, considering he mentioned it on his listing, indicated the delay in shipping as it needed to come from a different country, and also provided the tracking info on time. What more should he do? Come home and hand it over personally?

Ok accepted that he was right on his part in the listing,... But even after this much hassle, I have not got any info from him till now - No call or mail whatsoever,...

Lolz ya it would be very good if he would come home and hand it over personally,... :p

@All, so what would you say to this?
Like I said before my friend got a call from the courier company about the customs and he had paid for it, but as I dint receive a call or mail till now, I asked the courier people about my item,... it turns out that the shipping number which was given to me is wrong, and they said it is going to someone else and not to my address, also the contact number given is not mine,... When called the seller, he is not ready to even give me any details or what will be done now :|
So I think I was lucky that I initiated the refund anyways,... :p

I had bought electronics from ebay recently, seller was based in Korea. I paid roughly $340 after 2 weeks of receiving shipment information i got a letter from Custom Clarence Dept. that they needed invoice and payment information for the same.

I went to the Customs office (Mumbai) and they told me unless i had Importer/Exporter code the duty applied would be 61%. The clearance officer said it would come to INR 9000.00 on the player, he said he can settle it for INR 5500 (bribe).

His face when he got a call from higher authority within few minutes of asking for bribe.

05aafd.png

Got my package the next day, duty paid none.

Back