EBook reader suggestion

apollyon

ex-Mod
Have already been through the big "which ebook reader" thread but need some detailed info and recco's :p
Budget is up to $300, not too bulky and should preferably have a memory card slot. Don't need 3G.
TIA

All the eBook readers are Pretty light. Amazon Kindle doesn't have a card slot but has 4 GB memory. The ones most easily available in India are the Wink and the infibeam Pi but both are costlier than the Kindle and no where near it in quality. A sony reader would be a good choice for you.

Sei said:
^ Dude let it at least get a confirmed launch date before making everyone wait. Spammer! :p
I thought it was supposed to be launched Dec' 2010? :ashamed:

Btw I am getting one for myself whenever it launches. :p

I am pretty sure the Adam will not work as an Ebook reader. I even find the Kindle a little too heavy for my liking.

For sitting an reading stuff like magazines, tech documents - fine. But, for reading novels curled up in bed - no way!

Having said that, the Kindle is your best choice when it comes to eBook readers. Especially the 3rd gen Kindle - the screen is just perfect. 4GB is ample space for carrying a few hundred books. I just carry 3-4 books at a time which itself is more than enough for me.

Have U tried Infibeam's PI? I have a PI as well as nook, but for the purpose of reading I find PI more usable. It is a no frills device.

For show off nook is the one.

Appo, sreensatish is who I second here :)

4Gb is more than enough, and the Kindle is the best one in the market. Get the wi-fi version and thats it :)

May I suggest you to increase the budget by a few 100$, :p(come on you are saving so much by not benching, :p) and buy an IPad. After the initial exploration, all I am using it for is ebooks(and soft music to go along with the reading) and whatever others might say, I am loving it. Ofcourse occasionally I am still using it for gaming and browsing.

thebanik said:
May I suggest you to increase the budget by a few 100$, :p(come on you are saving so much by not benching, :p) and buy an IPad. After the initial exploration, all I am using it for is ebooks(and soft music to go along with the reading) and whatever others might say, I am loving it. Ofcourse occasionally I am still using it for gaming and browsing.
Keep the weight in mind though. You cant hold it in your hand for any reasonable length of time.

For a budget of $300, get a Kindle DX ($379). Its a 9.7 inch reader.

Amongst the 6" ones, I would say, go for Sony touch PRS 650. It comes at $227 + taxes + covers =~$280 (And, dont even think for a moment that you will be able to have a reader without a cover). Advantages/disadvantages:
Kindle 3 vs Sony PRS-650 Review with Video | The eBook Reader Blog

If you are getting a Kindle 3, go for the wifi version. The 3G is not available in India. Only EDGE/GPRS is available. And there is a map that gives the details:
http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=1

Notice, how all of India is marked in light purple showing that only EDGE/GPRS is available. Now, I dont know what will be the speed difference between 3G and edge/GPRS, but do know that using EDGE/GPRS consumes more battery than using 3G. This information is available on Amazon under battery life for 3G models. Read it closely.

Dont go for Nook. It looks awesome when you read the reviews, but spend some time on mobileread.com and you will see that many people are complaining about it. And, no offense Sei. This is just for his information. And you know that I appreciate all the help that you gave me. :)

sreenisatish said:
I am pretty sure the Adam will not work as an Ebook reader. I even find the Kindle a little too heavy for my liking.

For sitting an reading stuff like magazines, tech documents - fine. But, for reading novels curled up in bed - no way!

Having said that, the Kindle is your best choice when it comes to eBook readers. Especially the 3rd gen Kindle - the screen is just perfect. 4GB is ample space for carrying a few hundred books. I just carry 3-4 books at a time which itself is more than enough for me.
Why not adam as a ebook book reader...I am planning to buy it when its getting launched.

sumit.sol said:
Why not adam as a ebook book reader...I am planning to buy it when its getting launched.
2 reasons I can think of:
1. Weight. I have tried holding the iPad, and these tablets are heavy devices. After a few minutes, you need to keep it down, so forget reading on a tablet while standing or in bed etc (holding it overhead). All you can do is get a nice cover with an inbuilt stand etc and find a level surface. Deal killer for me.
2. Secondary: Cost + battery life

thanks for all the replies guys :)
so i'll decide between the kindle 3 and the sony 650...
edit - prs 650 looks to be better for me? alu body, touchscreen, sd/ms card slot, snazzier looking than the kindle? :p

Whatever you do, don't go for a LCD screen device. Even if you ignore the weight, the backlight will really starting hurting your eyes, especially if you read for more than a couple of hours at a stretch. In a nutshell, if you read novels, don' buy an iPad for that.

@TS, won't reading on a 6inch (measured diagonally) screen hurt the eyes? I'm guessing the fonts will look way too tiny, like that in a mobile sms.

The main con of the sony e-reader's is the small screen estate.

apollyon said:
thanks for all the replies guys :)
so i'll decide between the kindle 3 and the sony 650...
edit - prs 650 looks to be better for me? alu body, touchscreen, sd/ms card slot, snazzier looking than the kindle? :p

PRS 650 does not have a Wi-Fi, has issues with glare and is generally overpriced (like everything else Sony).

Don't discard the idea of a Nook altogether, do your own research rather than taking someone else's word as gospel. Check out some reviews and the satisfaction of the users as a whole(Check Mobileread). Stray cases of technological malfunctions are there with every gadget, so going into specific cases is kinda foolish.

I got my Nook day before yesterday and although I can't root it, I'm still over the moon about everything it has to offer. After rooting, you can imagine how versatile an Android device can be(Although only Nook-specific apps will work). It was a toss up between Kindle and Nook for me and very frankly Amazon comes across as the Apple of E-Book readers, marketing driven consumerist whorism rather than actual substance. The absolute audacity of deleting Books off peoples devices, lack of expansion and refusal to support EPub. The attitude of the company is just a huge put off. But hey ho, that's my perspective of it.

Only drawback of the Nook is a short battery life, which Kindle clearly scores better at.

Apart from that, research thoroughly on each of them and see what suits you the best. Don't go by anyones word, our choices suit our needs. Not yours.

6pack said:
@TS, won't reading on a 6inch (measured diagonally) screen hurt the eyes? I'm guessing the fonts will look way too tiny, like that in a mobile sms.

The main con of the sony e-reader's is the small screen estate.
At that size point, every inch makes a big difference. A 6" screen won't be twice as good as a 3" one. It will be 10X better. And remember that many novels come out in that size books only. I remember Hardy boys use to come out at that size. Moreover, you can adjust the Font size in the Kindle as per what is comfortable to you.

Everything said, I think you should see an eBook reader in person to be sure of it.

i have kindle so can say 6" is better size than 9 " while reading ,screen is perfect size but after using kindle for a month now , i feel it just cant replace the paperback novels

Back