Flipkart...Could be Indian Amazon ?

What people don't understand is speedy service isn't the same as good customer service. Good customer services comes in in the case of a problem or inadvent situation. There Amazon pwns any Indian company big time.

RMA, support, warranty etc provided by Amazon is exclusive while Flipkart is not even close from the Indian standpoint, leave alone competing with an international brand's RMA and support.

Flipkart is fast and has decent customer service, but never can it compete with something like Amazon. It is a difference in culture and values. American companies never cheat, laws are very strict, besides, irrespective of laws they go out of their way to help you. Indian companies only care about their losses or profits, and Indian law is a joke anyway.

If Amazon comes to India as a full fledged service, it will either eat Flipkart or buy it out :)

everything u said is ok, but my only question is, how can Amazon be any better if they come to India with our laws prevailing here? And do you think vendors from US (the so called ethical sellers) will be ready to sell their products here ??

flipkart is trying to ready with all the ammunition to face threat from amazon.
their service has been getting really improving. got the pendrive just 18hrs of booking:hail:

Agreed, their delivery services for games, music and books in stock are lightning fast!

I made an order for a game at 7 AM one day and the next day by 12 PM, the delivery guy was at the doorstep with the consignment. I am not sure if this could be the same for other devices such as home appliances but otherwise, I am impressed. I don't care if they are slated to become the Indian Amazon or something but they should continue providing good service backed up with good customer support.

They used to delete bad reviews passed on by the customers which is VERY bad! Instead they should choose to respond to those comments positively.

well.. while this company definitely has promise.. the trick is they've got to get their revenue management right when it comes to pricing strategies.

They've already got a good market hold and reputation amongst online retailers, but of late their pricing is rather poor and in many cases, it makes more sense to buy items locally.

I've had an excellent service from them over many orders but of late it's become harder to see any value in their pricing. An example - a while back while browsing for a cartridge replacement for my HP inkjet printer, i was checking their rates only to find that they were a paltry 50/- less than the MRP by HP! When i checked locally from the HP store at Dadar in Mumbai, the price was a whole lot lower than what was quoted as the suggested MRP online by HP and much cheaper than what Flipkart was pricing it at!

everything u said is ok, but my only question is, how can Amazon be any better if they come to India with our laws prevailing here? And do you think vendors from US (the so called ethical sellers) will be ready to sell their products here ??

To specifically answer your question, in my opinion foreign retailer giants won't enter India under prevailing conditions, mostly because of the niche market (for online retailers) and the law (from both the seller's and consumer's point of view), which are both prohibitive.
Even if they do, there is a lack of consumer-feedback and government redressal framework in our great nation, which in turn breeds poor transparency and underhanded techniques.
As for the 2nd question, customs totally kill importing options. Foreign vendors are already willing to sell you their catalog provided you pay for the shipping+duty costs. Even small niche items can be obtained, but will you pay 2x their selling price?

Rather than yearn for more companies and more brands, we need more laws for consumer-protection. How's that gonna happen given the flawed system from top to bottom, that's the question needed to be answered.

As for comparisons between flipkart and amazon, that's a moot point. Amazon has been in the retail business for. what. 18 years now? It is a giant, whereas flipkart is an emerging firm. Moreover, both operate in different countries under different framework imposed by different restrictions. Any direct comparison between the two is meaningless. If Amazon wants, it can certainly buyout flipkart, regardless of how soon people get their orders.

It have the potential.
Unless, it is being sold to another company, it can do a lot wonder in coming 3-4 years.
Also hey should introduce some bonus + coupon system to the buyers.

Flipkart rating system is stupid. I can write a review for a product which i did not purchase.

I see a lot of n00b folks across India writing reviews about flipkart service rather than the actual product.

I see a lot of n00b folks across India writing reviews about flipkart service rather than the actual product.

That is one of the biggest stupidity with their rating.
They ll give it a 5 star rating cuz fk delivered it earlier than expected. Some will mention that the pricing or the product wasnt upto the mark, but cuz the buyer got it within the aforementioned time period.. here is a 5/5 rating. Calling em noobs is a travesty. They are plain stupid.

The fact that many dont bother even mentioning that their rating is based on shipping experience, makes the scene even more awkward.. esp for the uninitiated.

Flipkart rating system is stupid. I can write a review for a product which i did not purchase.

Indian, consumers have to still come of age. :)

We are so used to rude and boorish "below the house" shop keepers, that prompt delivery (irrespective other parameters); makes FK look like God and Angels -all in one-. True to your point, most of the reviews start "got the product in xxx days, amazing delivery". I just read like 40 odd reviews on the Galaxy Tab 2. Same stuff. Overall I think FK still has a chance. See how companies like Airtel and Vodaphone and Indicom's gamut are doing. When their customer empathy (yes that is the new mantra) is probably in the -ve on a scale of 1--->10. They treat one like dogs, even if an address change is to be done. But they will run the show.

End-of-the-day, the online bug has bitten Indians, or Indian have taken a bite. Really hard to let go. My office has like 350 people. Everyday I see around 7-8 packages from FK and F&U coming in. And specially with COD and the delivery boys carrying card machines it is even more dandy.

*back to oogling at the Galaxy Tab S2 on FK

There have been reports that FK **deletes** the negative reviews, esp., of their service from the site, very promptly.

That way, on-line forums & social web sites have enabled forcing a response (at least 90% of the time) from the companies, which would not have been possible some time back.

Problem is that we as customers have never been exposed to excellent customer service consistently. The companies also never bothered about the customer-end part, probably thinking that if one goes, there are another thousand customers available (all said & done our population is a very big number!).

I for one do almost my entire purchases of stuff online, no choice as I live in a very small place. But, an Indian 'Amazon', we are quite a long way from that....but better late than never!

Flipkart may not have the best deal always. I bought a HP Toner cartridge for around 3850/. Later found out that the same product was available at a local market HP dealer for 3700/-.
Gap of 150 Rs is pretty big.

Something book readers wont like.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

BTW , Amazon also requires a minimum purchase for free shipping. Just saying.

flipkart sucks........most electronics are over priced......just look at the price of creative ep630---its 895!! 2 years ago i bought ep 630 at local shop for 600! I once ordered the hobbit book from flipkart ........after 1 week they call and say the book is unavailable and they will give another book........again after a week they send email my order has been cancelled....f*ck you

Back