Fossil quits smart watches segment

A fashion company in a tech space. They had good designs but there wasn't a single redeeming feature that made them stand out. I don't really see any value in their analogue watches as well. I think they use a Japanese movement but if I wanted a watch with a Japanese movement, I will rather go with Citizen, Seiko or Casio.

A fashion company in a tech space. They had good designs but there wasn't a single redeeming feature that made them stand out. I don't really see any value in their analogue watches as well. I think they use a Japanese movement but if I wanted a watch with a Japanese movement, I will rather go with Citizen, Seiko or Casio.
Smartwatches is getting very competitive.
Thanks to Chinese again.

For people who cannot afford much also have plenty to choose from noise and boAt and all.

For people who can afford med range have been covered well too with Samsung,Coros ,Garmin , Apple etc offering medium budget smartwatches+fitness watches.

And we have the higher ends from Apple, Garmin, Suunto , Google etc.

so good business decision unless you are ready to take fight with so many competitors.

Fossil always had poor quality control. I had one of their hybrid watches with an e-paper screen and it completely faded off in 3 months, with poorly sourced cheap components, lack of testing in different weather conditions and poor weather sealing.

Google picked up whatever talent and patents they did have, so it was dead from thereon.

Only thing good was their warranty policy. I got a replacement for the aforementioned hybrid watch which again faded within 3 months and then got store credit for the MRP which was higher than what I paid, which I put into an automatic, though I don't use it that often.

Would say traditional watches are fast been replaced by smart watches hence no wonder even shopkeepers around flaunt those samsung and apple watches. People are leaning towards these brands these days so it won't come as a shock say 15yrs down when it will be hard to find a watch co. actually producing anymore traditional analogue or digital watches.
Then the usual scalping will come into play where a 10k worth traditional watch might get sold for 50k+

My cousin brother who owns many fossil, seiko, esprit, omega watches are now lying in his cupboard been 2yrs or so after he got hold of two samsung watches.

Last edited:
Would say traditional watches are fast been replaced by smart watches hence no wonder even shopkeepers around flaunt those samsung and apple watches. People are leaning towards these brands these days so it won't come as a shock say 15yrs down when it will be hard to find a watch co. actually producing anymore traditional analogue or digital watches.
Then the usual scalping will come into play where a 10k worth traditional watch might get sold for 50k+

My cousin brother who owns many fossil, seiko, esprit, omega watch are now lying in his cupboard been 2yrs or so after he got hold of two samsung watches.
That is the story of almost every stuff we use these days.
Soon smart rings be replacing smart watches possibly.
Mobile phone cameras are getting powerful and replacing most cameras gradually .
( A friend whose friend does wedding videography with only iPhone and charges good money)

Technology is being integrated in everyday stuff too even clothing. Winter clothing is seeing heating pads attached that works with installed batteries and heat up the parts of body.
Every stuff is seeing integration or completely being replaced by new technology.

Nothing remains forever only thing is it is happening much faster now with countries like China pushing cheap and more competitive technology.

Recently Chinese even develop a nuclear battery with about supposedly 50 years of battery life (which concept I believe was discovered much before) but seems practical use might happen soon.

That is the story of almost every stuff we use these days.
Soon smart rings be replacing smart watches possibly.
Mobile phone cameras are getting powerful and replacing most cameras gradually .
( A friend whose friend does wedding videography with only iPhone and charges good money)

Technology is being integrated in everyday stuff too even clothing. Winter clothing is seeing heating pads attached that works with installed batteries and heat up the parts of body.
Every stuff is seeing integration or completely being replaced by new technology.

Nothing remains forever only thing is it is happening much faster now with countries like China pushing cheap and more competitive technology.

Recently Chinese even develop a nuclear battery with about supposedly 50 years of battery life (which concept I believe was discovered much before) but seems practical use might happen soon.
I don't think nuclear battery would reach to regular consumer electronics anytime soon, it will be more used in space tech. Where, like the Chandrayan Mission, has to depend on their on-board Li-ion batteries to power up the mission. Besides that the battery also has to pass many international safety regulations for domestic use of Radioactive substances.

I don't think nuclear battery would reach to regular consumer electronics anytime soon, it will be more used in space tech. Where, like the Chandrayan Mission, has to depend on their on-board Li-ion batteries to power up the mission. Besides that the battery also has to pass many international safety regulations for domestic use of Radioactive substances.
I said soon but not too soon ofcourse.
This is still about 5-10 years aways I believe.

I already see some space and military tech coming to civilian use much sooner now . In fields like fabric, sports etc

Bought one for my partner. These watches were good for fashion and nothing else. As expensive as an Apple watch but with delayed updates.

Good riddance !

Bought one for my partner. These watches were good for fashion and nothing else. As expensive as an Apple watch but with delayed updates.

Good riddance !
They were as expensive as Apple?!.
I think they were mostly 10k below.

Not sure if they had more expensive ones too.
Never came across a 40-50k fossil watch.

They were as expensive as Apple?!.
I think they were mostly 10k below.

Not sure if they had more expensive ones too.
Never came across a 40-50k fossil watch.
They had hybrid ones and proper wearOS devices that would cost more than 20k if you are going with current gen. The problem though is worrisome.

Samsung calls the shots when it comes to Android WearOS. It is such that if you want not so slow updates and all features, you only have two options. Google or Samsung. Mobvoi will fold soon though they had amazing watches. Reason is simple. They get updates and features that are many steps below what Samsung and Google has.

Chinese brands may come but in the end, the Watch segment of Android is controlled by Google and Samsung for next good number of years. This is really bad as Google calls themselves the good company and Android open for all.
Now their smartwatches are a true "Fossil"
Every Android watch except Pixel watches and Galaxy watches will be Fossils.

Back