Free Alternative to Wingate?

tcpip

Disciple
Hello All,

I started off a new startup late last year.. and we had installed wingate as the web proxy which would handle DHCP and DNS via a workstation(windows OS) which would act as a wingate server.

Now that the trial version has expired, we are looking for other alternatives.. where we do not have to configure anything on the client machines and just have direct internet access bliss.

Please let me know if you know something that would be simply installed on one machine and the rest can enjoy full internet access.

Many Thanks
tcpip

tcpip said:
Hello All,

I started off a new startup late last year.. and we had installed wingate as the web proxy which would handle DHCP and DNS via a workstation(windows OS) which would act as a wingate server.

Now that the trial version has expired, we are looking for other alternatives.. where we do not have to configure anything on the client machines and just have direct internet access bliss.

Please let me know if you know something that would be simply installed on one machine and the rest can enjoy full internet access.

Many Thanks

tcpip

Not sure what level of features and sophistication you need , but your problem would be handles easier on linus or solaris based system.

This should do the trick for you though NAT32 Windows Software Router Home Page (18. January, 2011)

Post your findings

Network Downloads : Proxy /// AnalogX

Do you have several machines on a network, but only one connection to the internet? Wish you could browse the net from the other machines, just like you can from the machine that's connected? Then what you're looking for is called a Proxy Server, and AnalogX has just what you want. AnalogX Proxy is a small and simple server that allows any other machine on your local network to route its requests through a central machine. So what does that mean in English? Simple, run Proxy on the machine with the internet connection, configure the other machines to use a proxy (it's very easy, there's a detailed description in the readme), and voila! You're surfing the web from any other machine on your network! Supports HTTP (web), HTTPS (secure web), POP3 (receive mail), SMTP (send mail), NNTP (newsgroups), FTP (file transfer), and Socks4/4a and partial Socks5 (no UDP) protocols! It works great with Internet Explorer, Netscape, AOL, AOL Instant Messenger, Microsoft Messenger, and many more!
Proxy works on all versions of Windows, from Window 95 to Windows 7 and everything inbetween (including XP, Vista, Win2k, etc). If you have a general question related to any of the programs on the site, or would like some additional info related to the downloads in general, then check out the downloads FAQ.

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the information, but I must inform you that although the description of this software says that you can use internet on other machines just like the one that is connected, however, the documentation says otherwise. (you need to configure proxy on client machines)

Regards,

tcpip

tcpip said:
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the information, but I must inform you that although the description of this software says that you can use internet on other machines just like the one that is connected, however, the documentation says otherwise. (you need to configure proxy on client machines)

Regards,
tcpip
Ahh, you need a something that has a DHCP server in it, maybe you can invest in a router connected to a switch so it will lease out the IP's as well as the Internet connection

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice Tommy, will keep it as a last resort.

On second thoughts, has anyone tried out Xorp?

Will try this out tomorrow and keep you guys posted

Back