Galaxy S or XT720 or Desire

nonbeing

Disciple
Greetings. I'm looking for an Android-based smartphone that costs around 25k - 30k. I've shortlisted 3 options so far (prices are from flipkart):
1. Samsung Galaxy S (i9000) [~28k]
2. HTC Desire [~27k]
3. Motorola XT720 [~26k]

As far as I know, all of them currently use Android 2.1 (Eclair), will soon be updated to Froyo. All have pretty good reviews (phonearena, gsmarena) on the Web.

The Moto has the best camera (8MP with Xenon flash) and 720p recording, which makes it attractive since I want a good camera. However, the Galaxy S is supposed to have the best processor, best display/graphics, best battery life, and it's much smaller and lighter - which are big advantages.

I'm unable to decide which one to go for, since all are very strong contenders. I suppose I couldn't go wrong with any of them, but in the end I have to buy only one of them very soon, so which one should it be? I'm curious which phone you guys would choose, and for what reasons.

This is going to be my first smartphone, so your gyaan would be much appreciated :)

P.S. have any of you ordered a phone from flipkart? Is it advisable to do so?

Go for Galaxy S. It has better screen, better hardware. everything's awesome except build quality and UI (UI can be obviously changed by LauncherPRO and others). Yes, the build quality is not up to the mark. It is very poor.

When I purchased galaxy S. I found build quality poor, but it's ok. Galaxy S has nice hardware config.

I was blown away by the Display. Display is damn bright. Mind it, even on low brightness, screen is amazing. I always put it on low brightness. :) TouchWiz is bit tricky but you'll get familiar with it very soon.

Second best thing I found is, camera. I was worried about 5 MP camera having no flash. But surprisingly, It has very very good camera quality even in low lights. HD Video recording at 30fps is just piece of cake..

The audio quality and reception quality is also very good. Headphone sound quality is also good (After tweaking the audio fix and Audio boost, headphone quality just booms ;) )

Battery like is very good as compared to other Android phones (remember, this one has 4inch brighter display) Battery lasts for almost 1.5 to 2 days for me. I text a lot.

After rooting and applying Lag Fix, the phone becomes very smooth.
Oh, one more.. Android 2.2 Froyo for galaxy s was out but due to some JIT compiler issues phone was under performing, So samsung has taken back the update release. They will most probably release the update in November end or December. I hope it clears all your doubts regarding Samsung Galaxy S..

Desire is my next choice. It is also a very powerful and one of the best android phones. If I didn't buy galaxy s then I would surely go with Desire. It was my second choice (in fact first choice was desire but due to display, I chosen Galaxy S)

See both the phones personally. Test them and decide which one you should purchase :)

Best of luck..

good review by Rahulrulez.

I check the Galaxy S last day @ ezone. Pretty impressed with it, display is bright, screen looks huge, the touch responsive is truly awesome (only fight to iPhone4 retina) camera is good too, could not check the built as it was locked on the stands.

Rest all +1 for Galaxy S, don't even consider the Moto XT720.

I'm myself going with the Galaxy S, but waiting till December for any other phone release.

Wait till nov 8th samsung hosting a show for next android device, galaxy s all the way if u want a android smartphone but built quality is poor, also iam on jm9 2.1 no lagfix nothing, running buttery smooth :), if u want to go with htc then wait for HTC desire HD great phone screen also very bright with new S-LCD.

Hey IMO the best phone among the three u listed will be the HTC Desire but if u buy a Desire that is manufactured after Aug-10 chances are that it will be having a SLCD display instead of a AMOLED display. Desire has been updated with froyo (2.2) but i am not sure about Galaxy S & XT720. The Samsung's display is very over saturated so if u like that kind of colours then u should go for it. Moreover nothing beats the Super AMOLED in contrast ratio altho the SLCD will offer better viewing angles & sunlight visibility. The camera in the Galaxy S is a touch better than the other 2. Altho Galaxy S has a better GPU hardly any games are there on android marketplace to take advantage of it. Go for the HTC. U wont regret.

BTW u can get ur Desire or any other HTC model from Buy Sat Nav TomTom Garmin HTC PDA Tom Tom GPS Cheap - Reviews. The desire will set u back by 279 quids + shipping (Rs 24.5k incl shipping+customs)

devvfata1ity said:
Hey IMO the best phone among the three u listed will be the HTC Desire but if u buy a Desire that is manufactured after Aug-10 chances are that it will be having a SLCD display instead of a AMOLED display. Desire has been updated with froyo (2.2) but i am not sure about Galaxy S & XT720. The Samsung's display is very over saturated so if u like that kind of colours then u should go for it. Moreover nothing beats the Super AMOLED in contrast ratio altho the SLCD will offer better viewing angles & sunlight visibility. The camera in the Galaxy S is a touch better than the other 2. Altho Galaxy S has a better GPU hardly any games are there on android marketplace to take advantage of it. Go for the HTC. U wont regret.

BTW u can get ur Desire or any other HTC model from Buy Sat Nav TomTom Garmin HTC PDA Tom Tom GPS Cheap - Reviews. The desire will set u back by 279 quids + shipping (Rs 24.5k incl shipping+customs)

Not really. GSM Arena display review shoot out rates SAMOLED to be superior to SLCD when it comes to viewing angles and sun light legibility as well
Mobile phone display mega shootout: The full picture - GSMArena.com

Super AMOLED > RETINA > Super LCD > Others..

This is what the conclusion is. If it comes under display comparison, I believe no android phone can be compared with Galaxy S till the date..

Well, as far as ppi goes, the SGS while good is behind all the smaller screen phones with WVGA(and moto's with their weird WFQVGA or whatever). Oh and the wave packs the same number of pixles on a 3.3" screen(almost matches Retina on ppi).

Next step for android, phones with 1024X600 resolutions(Incidentally this results in the same number of pixles as the Retina display)

Back