Going for docomo,suggestions pls

annababu

Disciple
After Hectic experience with Airtel-http://www.techenclave.com/general-talk/airtel-pissing-us-off-199281.html?highlight=

We temp. switched to MTNL for a while, There isn't any doubt while roaming in remote areas I found Coverage too good, But sadly the Network itself isn't that gr8 in Mumbai.
Most hardest experience is I can not make calls sitting at Home or can't receive it as theres no network at all, i have to stand by Window or have to keep mobile their to receive signals.

Solution to this problem isn't that great as Senior Officials told me that they had taken out Tower from nearby building due to certain issues & no ET for fixing it, so I'v been suggested to the same as above...to stick to window:no:

In addition since Diwali there's huge sum of call drops, Don't remember the day when I could speak continuously for more than 10mins.

so left with no choice to rethink! found TATA's My Family Plan but sadly its for CDMA users, so Sales Guy suggested to opt for Docomo which is for GSM
Plans are pretty good considering our usage especially Roam Free 299 & Diet 299 Rollover offering 4 Top-ups are certainly worth the money
Also In Maharashtra Goa circle No Roaming incoming charges

But Same quest. rises again- NETWORK COVERAGE !!

BTW, any news on Docomo 3G ETA in Mumbai?(as per website it isn't available here)

If one needs to daily access Mails & Trading how much Data is needed for a month, 1GB is sufficient?

I request TE Guys to have word on DOCOMO Experience & suggestions

thanks,

Been with Docomo for a long time. Got fed up and ported out to Reliance. In Mumbai, the network is very inconsistent, especially indoors. Forget about reasonable speeds for EDGE, in peak hours even checking mails is a pain.

Would suggest to go with Vodafone as it's still the best in Mumbai, though comes at a cost. Reliance has got decent speeds in 3G and EDGE, but then network isn't as good in certain areas, though better than Docomo.

Reliance is good in western suburbs .
3g and edge speeds are decent and consistent.
Keep a watch on your balance though.
Some unlucky ones have lost a lot of balance on it.

If you have Rs 200-300 to risk, I would suggest you get a SIM from ALL the operators you are considering and try out their coverage areas (in a spare phone)

Take the one you find best

Hey Docomo is best for internet and its speed. I am using Docomo from past 15 month when i own first Android Mobile. I am getting speed upto 156kbps in my area(NERUL,NAVI MUMBAI)

If i were you, i would NEVER touch any operator other than the big 3....Airtel, Vodafone & Idea.

If Airtel isn't working for you, i STRONGLY suggest you to try the Vodafone before anything else. I have been with Vodafone for more than 6 years(in bangalore though) and network quality and coverage have been just excellent every time and every where i roam. Even the customer care is quite manageable.

arun687 said:
Been with Docomo for a long time. Got fed up and ported out to Reliance. In Mumbai, the network is very inconsistent, especially indoors. Forget about reasonable speeds for EDGE, in peak hours even checking mails is a pain.....

Cost is the reason not opting for Vodafone, Higher Price is the common factor since I first subscribed way long back to Orange. I'm not sure about their Roaming charges in Maharashtra,what I'v heard- its been very costly for most as Vodafone tied up with others

Reliance can be the option, almost forget about it, let me check plans if it suit needs. For roaming its best no doubt...like MTNL found their network too in remote places

ggt said:
Reliance is good in western suburbs .

Hmm.. sadly we located in City & i think its been 9months we last visited Bandra(ie subburb area)..any ways it doesn't matter; Got ur point about Signal strength of Reliance

mehrotra.akash said:
If you have Rs 200-300 to risk, I would suggest you get a SIM from ALL the operators you are considering and try out their coverage areas (in a spare phone)

Take the one you find best

We're looking for cost-saving, value for money solution & although as per Govt. guidelines having multiple SIMss is not good practice, btw, to which Network provider u Belong?

After discussing with colleagues & relatives MTNL is suggested but...:(not for us...second choice BPL :huh:(most of them are with Govt. service & got SIM which offers BPL-BPL free)

So its better to put thread on TE & get to know from People all over India :)

thanks for suggestion guys, waiting for more b4 making final decision

I have Vodafone, Docomo, MTNL, TATA, iDeal, Reliance & Videocon user experience & found that now days Videocon have best network in area where First Vodafone was mastery than Reliance & now Videocon.

Though I don't have any experience of 3G with any service providers

HTH

I have used Docomo 6 months before, found it to be good. But no 3G, as roaming pact with MTNL for 3G has not yet materialized.

On 2G i used to get speeds of 20~25 KBps easily on my i200, when tethered to the PC.

Also with exception of certain areas in the city ( APMC market ~Vashi, LIC colony in Mulund, Sion East near the fort), good signal strength otherwise. At these three places found signal dropping, at APMC it drops only for 1 sec, but that is enough for disconnection of the call.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

AFAIK, with most of the n/w, no roaming charges for incoming apply in Maharashtra and Goa. Only exception is Videocon.

1GB might be enough, but to be safe use 2.5GB @ 65 pack. Plus the 1GB pack has validity of 21 days, not 1 month.

Regarding the Airtel thing, that problem has been around a yr ago at a friends place, near TISS, Chembur. My friend had to stay near the windows and talk. :no:

divyesh2129 said:
Hey Docomo is best for internet and its speed. I am using Docomo from past 15 month when i own first Android Mobile. I am getting speed upto 156kbps in my area(NERUL,NAVI MUMBAI)

ok & how about calling experience?

PhotostarSR said:
If i were you, i would NEVER touch any operator other than the big 3....Airtel, Vodafone & Idea.

If Airtel isn't working for you, i STRONGLY suggest you to try the Vodafone before anything else. I have been with Vodafone for more than 6 years(in bangalore though) and network quality and coverage have been just excellent every time and every where i roam. Even the customer care is quite manageable.

I checked out Vodafone plans again, its pretty annoying that Most of Plans have Rs.1 for Local SMS compare to most other's 50-60paise. I do not find Free talk value features attractive at least for Postpaid plans up to Rs.300. Again Regions in our state where we travel most of the time lacks Vodafone coverage as per Maps, I might even get network but then Heavy charges will be their as well. No comments on Idea

Emperor said:
I have Vodafone, Docomo, MTNL, TATA, iDeal, Reliance & Videocon user experience & found that now days Videocon have best network in area where First Vodafone was mastery than Reliance & now Videocon.

Though I don't have any experience of 3G with any service providers

HTH

Videocon is of no use as we're not looking for Complete Local solution. How do u find Docomo, Reliance & Idea?

I'v strong feeling that u may be a Prepaid customer so any complaints regarding unnecessary charges & Network issues so far? Will u care to let me knw if U r from Mumbai?

vivek.krishnan said:
I have used Docomo 6 months before, found it to be good. But no 3G, as roaming pact with MTNL for 3G has not yet materialized.On 2G i used to get speeds of 20~25 KBps easily on my i200, when tethered to the PC.Also with exception of certain areas in the city ( APMC market ~Vashi, LIC colony in Mulund, Sion East near the fort), good signal strength otherwise. At these three places found signal dropping, at APMC it drops only for 1 sec, but that is enough for disconnection of the call. AFAIK, with most of the n/w, no roaming charges for incoming apply in Maharashtra and Goa. Only exception is Videocon. 1GB might be enough, but to be safe use 2.5GB @ 65 pack. Plus the 1GB pack has validity of 21 days, not 1 month.....

So currently u r on Docomo or on other Network? Got any chance of reviewing it while traveling outstation or on National Roaming? What would like to suggest? I think Docomo held a bit advantage by giving away those Top-ups for Pospaid users on Diet & FAT plans. Paying Rs.299 & getting 600Local mins + 500 SMS(with Top-ups) is really worth APMO. The only thing worrying me is Hows the network....

annababu said:
ok & how about calling experience?

docomo has some issues in connectivity in south mumbai.

mom works at navy nagar and even though the network bar shows full signal incoming calls were a problem there.
she shifted on to loop and from then on no problem whatsoever.
only issue with reliance i observed is no signal in underground basements . other than that i found their signal much reliable.

and if you were to use it in 3g mode their signal strength is the best in mumbai.

countrywide the call rates are uniform for reliance so for roaming reliance along with mtnl should do for you.

annababu said:
So currently u r on Docomo or on other Network? Got any chance of reviewing it while traveling outstation or on National Roaming? What would like to suggest? I think Docomo held a bit advantage by giving away those Top-ups for Pospaid users on Diet & FAT plans. Paying Rs.299 & getting 600Local mins + 500 SMS(with Top-ups) is really worth APMO. The only thing worrying me is Hows the network....

Network even when outstation is good, switches to Tata GSM. Had gone to chennai for funcn & we were staying at the AVM hall in chennai. since we had travelled by flight cant comment on signal along the way. But brilliant n/w. In fact, my mom was using my cell to talk as 1p outgoing in roaming + loop n/w was not so good.

Even in kerala did not have much issues, except at sabarimala where there was no n/w on the way up and at pampa river. Also while retrurning from kerala we were in konkan side, got intermittent coverage in train, could speak. at halts good strength.

annababu said:
Videocon is of no use as we're not looking for Complete Local solution. How do u find Docomo, Reliance & Idea?

I'v strong feeling that u may be a Prepaid customer so any complaints regarding unnecessary charges & Network issues so far? Will u care to let me knw if U r from Mumbai?

Docomo is good Since day first i.e. from the day it launched in Mumbai. Customer service is quick compare to Vodafone.

Idea is good for rest of Maharahtra/Goa & out of Mumbai Limit, I didn't use idea much but friends who still using said same.

With Reliance I didn't notice any wrong charges but saw customers arguing at mobile shop for wrong deduction (Reliance & TATA CDMA is best - few friends using it)

I'm prepaid customer, near to Mumbai (Thane District).

annababu said:
'

Yes brother!! on Vodafone Website under Mumbai Cricle

Hope its up to date

Stay away from Vodafone - lately their replies force me to suspect them & after few month their act really make me mad. No coordination between staff/representative or manager or what so ever. Do work with Vodafone it they give you any service promise in WRITTEN & you have lots of time to fight with them over phone, mail & tweeter they just can't honor their WORDS or EMAILS or SMS. Very blunt & pretend to be DUMB A$$ if you find any problem with Vodafone service specially if wrong charges.

They accept your call for Service Activation & work promptly but if you call them for problem first time they assure you politely but from NEXT time HARD to find any TAKER for your CALL. They starts ignoring your tweets, mails & calls. Over phone call they just refuse to help you & stick to their decision saying "Sir I agree our representative XXXX give you in WRITTEN but we are unable to help you & can't refund amount".

Even they just unable to contact you on your VODAFONE number (saying your number not reachable) & ask for other alternate numbers.

... better stay away from Vodafone

Back