Going wireless ..

Xanthor

Disciple
Jun 5, 2007
Mumbai
I currently have You Telecom Internet connection. Its provided through a Cable similar to the one through which you get cable TV.In order to acess it i need to configure the PC with a static IP address. I just got anew DELL XPS 1330 laptop (More n that in the show off section later :D ) I wanted to share internet access between both of them wirelessly. I assume i need a wireless modem/router.
One of my key requirements is that they should be able to access the internet simultaneously and independent of each other i.e the PC need not be switched on for the laptop to have internet access. Secondly i was hoping to be able to connect the PC to the router/modem via ethernet so as to minimise loss of speed on the PC due to a wireless connection.
Thirdly, if possible i hope t be able to transfer files between the PC and laptop wirelessly.

Also RANGE is not a concern for me as i will be using this only within my room. So speed is more important than range.

Could someone please provide a list of items required and a guide to configure them.:)

TheIndian

Skilled
Sep 19, 2007
Mumbai
a) so you have a cable modem at your end ? with a ethernet connection to the PC ?

b) do you need to "login" to the ISP or it connects without any login ?

NinByChoice

Skilled
Apr 3, 2005
You need a wifi router, which usually come with 4 ethernet ports too. Get the Buffalo WHR-G54S (Rs2000) and you should be set. The static IP has to be set in the routers WAN config page with the appropriate gateway settings too. The laptop will connect through wifi and the desktop through LAN.

Raghu.

Xanthor

Disciple
Jun 5, 2007
Mumbai
So, assuming i grab this router. do i need to retain the Cable modem the company gives or does this act as a Cable modem too ... ?

cisco_tech

ex-Mod
Aug 25, 2005
Ahmedabad
this is how your setup should work .
my.php

Reactions: 1 person

Xanthor

Disciple
Jun 5, 2007
Mumbai
Thanks for your help guys ill be getting the stuff and unboxing the Lappy by saturday. Will post any queries then.

sid.abu

Disciple
Jul 7, 2006
I have the linksys router and the range is pretty good,the speed is pretty much the same every where,the important thing is not which router is the best or so on and so forth(yes i do agree that the router is very imp)pick a router which has a good range,the single antenna from d-link is not very effective,i would recommend the linksys range i am using this
Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Broadband Routers/Wireless-G/WRT54GX
if u want u could get any one of these broadband routers
Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking

the other important thing is the location of the router
>place the router as high as possible
>place the router in a open place,so that the signals do not get lost,due to walls or other objects
>place a password on your router,now we dont want any unwanted ppl to use ur connection do we:no: :no: :no: ???
with all this,go ahead and buy a router freely....:hap2: :hap2: :hap2: :hap2:

sid.abu

Disciple
Jul 7, 2006
Xanthor said:
One of my key requirements is that they should be able to access the internet simultaneously and independent of each other i.e the PC need not be switched on for the laptop to have internet access. Secondly i was hoping to be able to connect the PC to the router/modem via ethernet so as to minimise loss of speed on the PC due to a wireless connection.
well,u can connect the pc and the laptop,with my series(the WRT54GX) i can do that,the WRT54GXhas 4 ports,i take my cat-3/cat-5 and i connect the modem to router,then i take the another cat-3/cat-5 and connect from the router to my pc,the result?
well my laptop and the pc are simultaneously connected.....:clap: :clap: :clap: