Graphic Cards gtx460 768Mb v/s gtx 460 1Gb

Aakash

Adept
:)Hi guys,
I have gtx 460 768Mb card playing on 1650x1080 resolution...This gives me some glithes in GTA4 episodes,says exceding memory...
I'm Planning to buy 1 Gb 460gtx. Will that be of any benefit here?
It seams that Most of the games now require more vram even at low resolution...Please correct me if i'm wrong...

GTA 4 always tests your vram. You must be on high graphic settings. Lower resolution if your going high quality or increase resolution and decrease quality. I've heard decreasing the draw distance makes a lot of difference..

I don't think it's a good move to give out GTX 460 768 to get a 1GB . How are you going to do this ?

Tovarishj you should have started out with a GTX 460 1 GB earlier instead of grabbing the 768MB version, no VRAM is no deciding factor on the cards performance always look for the interface connection 128-bit, 192-bit ( in your card's case ), 256-bit and so on, the thumb rule is to get a card with more than a 128-bit interface if you plan to game at moderate to mid range settings with some eye candy turned up.

I would not recommend you going for a new card, basically for following reason :

1) you will not get a very great performance jump

2) how do you plan to eliminate your current card

Try to reduce a bit of your settings like draw distance and such and check if the performance jumps up to a respectable measure, if it does not then plan for a new GPU

Bench - GPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Hope this helps :)

I have searched out about Gtx 460 768mb,it has 192bit width, 1Gb has 256 bit width.....
Will that make a difference then...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Or should i jump to 6870 ati...what diffence their is?
But,as i know ,the ati cards does not have proper driver to propel it...ati do not release the good drivers as nvidia does...
And ati card do not perform well in CF. Nvidia 460 sli gives 94% increase in Games Fps..(like crisis,battle field-bc2,far cry,)
So,I'm a bit confused...My buget is around 13k..Max i could go to 15k...

Audiophi1le said:
^ of course it makes a "difference". Do check out the comparisons between 768/1GB version of GTX 460.
Bro check out the link I gave, it shows a minor difference on very high res not worth chucking the current card he has and going in for a new one right now

Get the patch for GTA 4 that removes memory limitations of graphics settings.

If highest settings give glitches, reduce shadows from very high to high.

Lower the anti-aliasing.

768 mb is fair enough at 1650x1080.

Aakash said:
I have searched out about Gtx 460 768mb,it has 192bit width, 1Gb has 256 bit width.....

Will that make a difference then...

Or should i jump to 6870 ati...what diffence their is?

But,as i know ,the ati cards does not have proper driver to propel it...ati do not release the good drivers as nvidia does...

And ati card do not perform well in CF. Nvidia 460 sli gives 94% increase in Games Fps..(like crisis,battle field-bc2,far cry,)

So,I'm a bit confused...My buget is around 13k..Max i could go to 15k...
If you plan to jump to ATi wait till February when the cards come with custom coolers and all and come factory overclocked :), that is what I plan to do then it is curtains to my hD 5770

ALPHA17 said:
If you plan to jump to ATi wait till February when the cards come with custom coolers and all and come factory overclocked :), that is what I plan to do then it is curtains to my hD 5770

Exactly!!! wait for another 3-4 months if you are looking for a super card for 15k as now we have the 6k series and then 5xx from nvidia and by feb end - mar mid all should be settled as the next update to GPU world will come only next year by this time.

Coming to 460, no big performance jump from 768 to the 1GB version, if you are nvidia fan boy then wait for gtx 5xx
http://en.expreview.com/2010/07/12/7909/7909.html/23
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 460 1 GB Review - Page 31/35 | techPowerUp

Any yes this GTA4 and Liberty City are the next Crysis, but no other way just lower your settings and wait patiently for the next 3-4 months..

HD 6870 at 14k what more do u want ??? but still WAIT its mid ranged , it will shedd its prices :p so enjoy ur 768MB .. or if u can, SLI IT

Thanks guys,
I think i will wait..6 months,by that time my card will go for 6k, i think.

But, i heard that even i7 980x bottlenecks 480 cards so..
my 460 should be enough for my i7 950,if i go higher..it may bottleneck my card.

As i can see from your posts you are very impatient. (automerge , automerge, automerge...:p )

Wait and enjoy the 460. As the performance you will get by spending 3K-4K more (you sell it for 10K (say), and buy 1GB one for 2.5K or a 6870 for 15K ) is not woorth.

as said above you can go SLI later.

Back