HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

guy,help me choose between Toshiba Regza 40AV700E and panasonic 42x20D plasma.

i'll be buying tomorrow..so please pour in your suggestions.

is there a HD-ready 32" model thats good? I need it since this would be attached to just Tatasky & so FHD LCDs will make SD look crappy.

What 32" or 40" flat panel tv will i get in the below?

1. Budget. -----> 45k max

2. Viewing distance. -----> ~7-8ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. -----> HD DTH /media player/ HTC.

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. -----> none. interested in pq only.

5. Preference for brands. -----> must be from -> lg, panasonic, toshiba, sony, or samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? -----> no, warranty + bill required

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. -----> well lit room both day and normal cfl (not warm white) at night.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. -----> will leave it to you ppl.

Have the Sony Bravia KLV-32 NX/EX 500 in mind or 32EX400 (cheaper of the two). Only the NX500 has motion flow (100Hz). Does the 100Hz refresh rate have any improvement in pq?

What are the rates for these outside? On Sony site their mrp is 39.9K for NX/EX500 and 36.9k for EX400.

Any other brand with ips panel?

^LG, Philips & Panasonic LCDs sport IPS panels. Besides, the 32NX500 doesn't have the 100Hz tech. Refer the specs carefully.

NX500 = EX400 + the glossy glass front. Sony refers to the NX series as the monolithic series. Just another marketing gimmick and if you do not have proper ambient lighting conditions (you have mentioned you have a well lit room!), you'll end up having a lousy display.

You can as well squeeze the 32EX600 within that budget. That's a good display with the edgelit-LED panel but doesn't have the 100Hz tech.

Gannu said:
^LG, Philips & Panasonic LCDs sport IPS panels. Besides, the 32NX500 doesn't have the 100Hz tech. Refer the specs carefully.

NX500 = EX400 + the glossy glass front. Sony refers to the NX series as the monolithic series. Just another marketing gimmick and if you do not have proper ambient lighting conditions (you have mentioned you have a well lit room!), you'll end up having a lousy display.

You can as well squeeze the 32EX600 within that budget. That's a good display with the edgelit-LED panel but doesn't have the 100Hz tech.
ah sorry, i meant the 32EX500. (somethings wrong with me today!)

What should i do to get ambient lighting conditions in my room for example? Asking cause there's this huge wall-wall window on a wall next to the lcd (i mean on which i'm planning to install the lcd) and its sure to reflect some light on the lcd panel. Should I cover the window with curtains and darken the room then?

Also cant i get a 40" in the 45k mark? 60k+ prices seem absurd when spending for a tv :(

Well a lcd with a matte screen is the best option for you in that budget.The EX400 and EX500 are within your budget .
Covering windows with curtains will make a big difference,but in my house i have windows facing East and west.So even with curtains the tvs ambient sensor boosts the backlight to defeat the glare.

You can get a decent tv for 40k if you buy in the grey market,the 40" EX400 i hear is available for as low as 38k in grey market.
You can also squeeze in a samsung 40" C530.

Do note that Sony will soon be replacing the EX400 with CX520 CCFL lcd and the EX520(led-lit) it has a new image processing and more features(usb playback,internet video,perhaps applications like opera browser,control tv with android phones).
The EX500 replacement will be a LED-lit model called EX720 which will be above your budget.

Samsung will also launch new tvs latter perhaps starting from May.

OK guys, i got a quote for 34k for Samsung LA32C530 + Dish TV HD DVR. All the shops in Kol seem to be giving the same quote, Is this price okay? (is some kinda cult going on here?)

adder said:
Well a lcd with a matte screen is the best option for you in that budget.The EX400 and EX500 are within your budget .

Covering windows with curtains will make a big difference,but in my house i have windows facing East and west.So even with curtains the tvs ambient sensor boosts the backlight to defeat the glare.

You can get a decent tv for 40k if you buy in the grey market,the 40" EX400 i hear is available for as low as 38k in grey market.

You can also squeeze in a samsung 40" C530.

Do note that Sony will soon be replacing the EX400 with CX520 CCFL lcd and the EX520(led-lit) it has a new image processing and more features(usb playback,internet video,perhaps applications like opera browser,control tv with android phones).

The EX500 replacement will be a LED-lit model called EX720 which will be above your budget.

Samsung will also launch new tvs latter perhaps starting from May.
do the service centers of companies service the grey market products in case of failure? say 4 years down the line if the ccfl tubes die then would they replace it or refuse outright?

6pack said:
do the service centers of companies service the grey market products in case of failure? say 4 years down the line if the ccfl tubes die then would they replace it or refuse outright?
Well yes they do service it.But not sure about a CCFL replacement in 4 years time.By that time you probably get a 65" led lit lcd tv for under 50k.
Next year you may well see all models being LEd-lit.This year itself we see the lack of CCFL models.

@delhiboy1000: a HD-ready TV doesn't make much sense today considering the price difference. If you are willing to keep this display for at least the next couple of years, an HD-ready TV would be outclassed by full-HD displays considering most DTH services would have a bunch of 720p channels. Unlike today i.e.

Aman27deep said:
OK guys, i got a quote for 34k for Samsung LA32C530 + Dish TV HD DVR. All the shops in Kol seem to be giving the same quote, Is this price okay? (is some kinda cult going on here?)
Seems fair enough although many have got it for as low as 32k without the HD STB connection. Is that the best price the retailer is willing to part the display for? With Samsung displays, you can always bargain. :)

Gannu said:
Seems fair enough although many have got it for as low as 32k without the HD STB connection. Is that the best price the retailer is willing to part the display for? With Samsung displays, you can always bargain. :)
They seemed rigid man, weren't dropping the price at all, dunno why. And when i asked them sell the LCD without dish tv hd they said no :'|

Went to some South Calcutta shops yesterday, will visit some Howrah ones today, will update the thread with their prices in the night...

Aman27deep said:
They seemed rigid man, weren't dropping the price at all, dunno why. And when i asked them sell the LCD without dish tv hd they said no :'|

Went to some South Calcutta shops yesterday, will visit some Howrah ones today, will update the thread with their prices in the night...
In any case, if there are any 32 inch C530s on the display, do take a look at the sticker to ensure that the panel version is SQXX.

Gannu said:
In any case, if there are any 32 inch C530s on the display, do take a look at the sticker to ensure that the panel version is SQXX.
Hmm okay i'll do that the next time i go... went to another store today and they also quoted 34k with dth.

Guys needed your inputs..

Am interested in a 40 inch LCD and ive narrowed it down to 2 models. the Samsung LA40C630 for 58K & the LA40C550 for 51K.... have been following Gannu's inputs and also the show off, for which im very inclined towards the C630, but the only main difference being the 100Hz motion plus is the C630 worth the 7K difference, will be using the it main for gaming (PS3) and movies...

^For your requirements, NO. TBH I am yet to use the 100Hz. tech on my display. The reasons I went with this display were - ethernet port (so I could connect and stream media from a NAS), guaranteed SPVA panel we were getting and the 100 Hz. tech. Down the line, I may be watching few sports channels though.

i read somewhere even the C550 are confirmed SPVA panels. does it make a huge difference in sporting channels, because i do watch a lot of football.

techpal said:
Which is VFM 40 inch LCD under 40k with B@W?
There is No lcds from first tier companies for that price officially ,unless you buy it from grey market,in which case it will be the EX400.

^Exactly. I think Toshiba has a 40" model though. Can't comment on the same since I haven't seen one in person.

Ya there seems to be no model in 40 inch category under 40k from reputed brands.

Ok so no other option other than to check Toshiba 40 " lcd which is for 36k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back