Audio Headphones: Upgrading from a Philips SHP805 to a Sennheiser HD555...

kiranb28

Disciple
... is it worth it?

I'm quite happy with the 805's (except for the enormous sound leakage), so what kind of 'upgrade' would this be? Would it be good enough to suffice shelling out Rs. 6000+ for these HD555s?

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who's had experience with them - many thanks.

-Kiran

HD 555 also has enormous sound leakages :p ... btw you can get HD 555 for ~ 5.5k, if those philips headphones are sub 2k then HD 555 will be a great improvement in SQ, but you should have a good sound card atleast...

foruamit2004 said:
HD 555 also has enormous sound leakages :p ... btw you can get HD 555 for ~ 5.5k, if those philips headphones are sub 2k then HD 555 will be a great improvement in SQ, but you should have a good sound card atleast...
Hmm... could you refer me from where? Haven't had luck getting any price close to that; instead have been quoted for 6400, 6200, 6100 from various places.

search ebay.in, apply 15% coupons, long back i calculated it was close to 5.5k.. Or else goto the senn india website, find the dealer(not like mobile store, but someone else) ask them to give some discount.. I got it the same way(telrad company, authorized dealer in south)..

foruamit2004 said:
search ebay.in, apply 15% coupons, long back i calculated it was close to 5.5k.. Or else goto the senn india website, find the dealer(not like mobile store, but someone else) ask them to give some discount.. I got it the same way(telrad company, authorized dealer in south)..
The 10 or 15% coupons only allow a discount of up to 500 Rs if I remember correctly?

Plus most of the auctions for the HD555 on Ebay.in aren't less than the MRP (6900 or so) so that still brings it down to only 6300'ish...

I already contacted the main dealers here in Gurgaon and Delhi - best price I got was 6200 tax paid. Dunno where i'm going wrong.

I guess i'll stick with my 805s for now. I recently got the SHE9800 in ear phones also, pretty happy with them - though when i'm at home and want to listen to music or watch a movie, i'd prefer comfortable open ear headphones any day.

Thanks for the help anyways, appreciate it!

^^ I too would suggest an Audio Technica AD700. You can get it via KMD. The Sennheiser HD555 are not rated very highly. Alternatively you can also try out the Grado SR 80 if you like to listen to a lot of rock music. The trebble is very good with the Grados.

@ kiran, just don't drop ur plans 'cause rates are a bit high :p .. search a little on internet, visit forums like head-fi.. nevermind why i'm writing this but i feel happy when people buy some new things :p ...

BF1983 said:
^^ I too would suggest an Audio Technica AD700. You can get it via KMD. The Sennheiser HD555 are not rated very highly. Alternatively you can also try out the Grado SR 80 if you like to listen to a lot of rock music. The trebble is very good with the Grados.

Forgive my ignorance... who/what is KMD and how do I buy the AD700's from KMD?

Price? How soon can I get them?

Hi all,

I too am looking forward to purchase a good pair of headphones.

Am confused between the Grado-80, Sennheiser HD-555 and the Audio Technica AD700 .. please feel free to add to the list...

I want loads of bass and clarity in the music...

They would be primarily used for listening to all kinds of songs and also watch loads of movies.

The sources would be iPod Touch, my laptop and PC (w/o soundcard) ...

Also am looking at the Headroom Airhead.. do suggest any more amps for headphone listening.

Thanks ...
KD

Back