Graphic Cards HELP !! No display after installing HD5450 2GB GPU

johnsunder

Disciple
Guys, here is the issue. I was running the HD4350 on my system (AMD Athlon 3500+/1 GB DDR/MSI RS482M4) without any problems. Since I upgraded my monitor to a Acer 24" LCD with HDMI, I thought I would also upgrade my GPU to one with HDMI. Hence bought the HD5450 2GB model from Flipkart and installed the same. But the system does not boot, there is no display, not even POST. Did I miss something ? Please HELP!!!!

@johnsunder, check if the RAM modules are properly seated, hard-drive connectors are secure.

Also if the power cable to your CPU (4-pin), motherboard (24-pin) are secure.

Do the fans spin up when you switch on the PC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha, thanks.
All cables and connectors are secure, the RAM module is seated fine too. Yes, the fans spin and even there is some HDD activity as well, but there is no beep or beep beep beep. When I put back my earlier GPU, everything is fine and the system boots flawlessly.

Alpha, thanks.
All cables and connectors are secure, the RAM module is seated fine too. Yes, the fans spin and even there is some HDD activity as well, but there is no beep or beep beep beep. When I put back my earlier GPU, everything is fine and the system boots flawlessly.

Where did you get the graphics card from?

So you mean, that you replaced the new GPU and put the old one and the system worked fine?

What PSU are you using ??
Its could be possible that the PSU might be insufficient to power the new GPU
Have you tested your new GPU on a different system,Just to confirm whether you weren't given a DOA product ??

Remove HD5450, start system with the onboard display. Now insert back HD5450, try same two three time. Make external GPU as primary in BIOS.

Have you tested your new GPU on a different system,Just to confirm whether you weren't given a DOA product ??

Yash I doubt this has anything to do with the SMPS, the power draw of these cards is laughable and as OP has posted the older card slapped into his system everything rolls fine.

I side with your prognosis of a damaged / DoA card for that reason.
Remove HD5450, start system with the onboard display. Now insert back HD5450, try same two three time. Make external GPU as primary in BIOS.

He was already using a HD4350 as a primary GPU earlier and things were rolling fine, so I don't think any issue with BIOS either.

^ In my view, system is confused with two display adapter. See even without display, there is HDD activity. Which shows somehow system passed the POST.

You brought it from flipkart, right? Raise an issue of DOA product and get a replacement under there 30 day replacement policy. Otherwise you'll have to RMA the card if the 30 day period is over.

Where did you get the graphics card from?

So you mean, that you replaced the new GPU and put the old one and the system worked fine?

Correct. Right now I am on that system with the old GPU.

That is one thing I am gonna try out soon. But this card is not drastically different from my earlier HD4350. I got this only for its HDMI option.

Done that several times Sauron.

You brought it from flipkart, right? Raise an issue of DOA product and get a replacement under there 30 day replacement policy. Otherwise you'll have to RMA the card if the 30 day period is over.

Done that too artattak, that was the first thing I did and was given a replacement within 5 days of making that call. Terrific response that from Flipkart. Now, I this one is also doing the same, so I guess I am missing something.

I am trying to update all the MB chipset drivers and see what happens.

^ In my view, system is confused with two display adapter. See even without display, there is HDD activity. Which shows somehow system passed the POST.

Hope you are right and I can sort out the confusion soon.

johnsunder try to update the motherboard BIOS as well. Cheerio!

Alpha, no luck. MB BIOS and drivers are up to date, even tried uninstalling the display drivers and installing, no luck. As soon as I switch on the comp, there is a consistent pattern of HDD LED blinking, I left it on for 30 mins hoping something will happen, nope. I take it out and put my old GPU in and voila, everything is fine.

Only thing left is to try it on another comp which I will do over the weekend.

Thanks guys.

Do let us know what happens then, I think this is a DoA card.

By the way where did you get it from?

Like I said in my first post, Flipkart and this is the replacement piece too. The first one had the same problem and FK replaced in less than 5 days with an apology, but now this is also the same. Will let you know the results in the other computer.

But it says on the box "PCI-e 1.0a compliant".
Upgrading my PSU since mine is an old dull Zebronics one. Getting the cooler master 500W one for 3.2k from flipkart. Will that help ?

Can't be a power supply issue. The power draw is actually lower than your 4350 : Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com
Does your Zebronics have a 24-pin ATX connector? If you still want to upgrade, the Cooler Master Thunder series is an Asian market only model and there aren't any in-depth reviews so far, so isn't a safe choice.

PCI-e 1.0a compliancy needed BIOS support as well. Most motherboard manufacturers did not bother to do that. Considering the RS482's last BIOS update was in 2005, and the PCI-e 2.1 standard came out in 2010(?), it doesn't look like they've done the needful.

Yeah, I thought so too. So, after much deliberation, decided to give up my old system and upgrade to AMD FX6100, MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard with Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (single chip). This is an upgrade after 2005, well worth it, I guess. Any thoughts ?

That board looks pretty nice for the price. Full ATX and packed. But any reason you need a 6 core proc?

You can look at the entry level dual core Intel G6xx procs. Should be enough for pretty much everything with low power consumption to boot, and pair it with a nice H77/B75 board.

Back