Help with Laptop display issue

INTL_akash

Disciple
I have a Hp pavillion 15-n210eia laptop with integrated graphics. It has a weird issue since the beginning when the screen would go black sometimes and the laptop would need to be restarted. It kept happening when i upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1. It was a very rare thing to happen.
Over the years the problem kept increasing and now the laptop will not show display even at bootup most of the times. If it does indeed show display it will go black eventually be it in 5 mins or 15 mins. Sometimes it will work fine for days and then again be unusable not showing display for days.
External display always works just fine.
I took it to a laptop repair shop which said that the issue was with integrated graphics and was unfixable. But then i went to another repair shop and i have tried the following things:-
1. Changing the internal display panel. (Borrowed a different one to test issue and the issue still remained, meaning that the current display panel is fine)
2. Changing the display wire.
3. Inserted ssd with fresh windows install.
4. Tried all the display drivers available for it of windows 10 be it old or latest.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Or was the initial diagnosis of chipset problem correct in the case?

If igpu was the cause then even external display shouldn't work properly.
Have you checked the cpu temps? Are fans spinning properly?

As you have ruled out almost all possibilities, try shifting back to win 8.1 if it was running totally fine.

Perform diagnostics using HP tools and discuss on HP forum as they are best people to advise.

Last edited:
Have you checked the cpu temps? Are fans spinning properly?

As you have ruled out almost all possibilities, try shifting back to win 8.1 if it was running totally fine
The cpu temps are fine i have stress checked it also. And the issue was also on windows 8.1.
Two things i forgot to mention:
1. When the display doesnt work then at bootup even the company logo or options to press f12 to enter bios is not seen. Absolutely blank throughout.
2. I had also previously installed windows 7 on it.
3. I have also tried not installing any graphic drivers and keep the windows default driver for graphics. With this the issue is not fixed and additionally the external monitor never works unless i install the provided graphics drivers for the laptop.

Try heating up the GPU area on the motherboard with a heat gun. Google the process, temp needed etc for this process. This is done to reflow the solder. Using an oven is less cumbersome. I was able to revive 2 laptops this way. Both were high-end imported models, so fixing them locally wasn't an option for me.

Try heating up the GPU area on the motherboard with a heat gun. Google the process, temp needed etc for this process. This is done to reflow the solder. Using an oven is less cumbersome. I was able to revive 2 laptops this way. Both were high-end imported models, so fixing them locally wasn't an option for me.
This only works for discrete GPU, according to OP he has an iGPU.

Was it shown at a place which does board level repair? Something akin to what Louis Rossman does. It might be issue with connector to internal display as HDMI appears to be working fine.

Also, you can try to create a bootable linux USB, and check if the same problem persists. If yes, then its most likely to be a hardware issue. If linux works well, then it could be a Windows / Software issue.

This only works for discrete GPU, according to OP he has an iGPU.

Was it shown at a place which does board level repair? Something akin to what Louis Rossman does. It might be issue with connector to internal display as HDMI appears to be working fine.

Also, you can try to create a bootable linux USB, and check if the same problem persists. If yes, then its most likely to be a hardware issue. If linux works well, then it could be a Windows / Software issue.
Yes i cannot try the bake/heat gun method as it does not have any igpu.
The initial shop i showed it which said its a integrated gpu issue and cannot be repaired does do board level repairs.

Update:
For anyone in future having this issue, the only solution is motherboard replacement. Which was quoted for 8k, for a 10 year old laptop bough for 25k. Not worth it at all.
I am going to attach an external monitor and modify it to turn it into a desktop pc.

Update:
For anyone in future having this issue, the only solution is motherboard replacement. Which was quoted for 8k, for a 10 year old laptop bough for 25k. Not worth it at all.
I am going to attach an external monitor and modify it to turn it into a desktop pc.
Notmally what they do is replace the chip on the motherboard . But they will tell you motherboard gone.

Notmally what they do is replace the chip on the motherboard . But they will tell you motherboard gone.
Since there is no dedicated graphics chipset. The issue is with the cpu. And since cpu's are soldered and not removable, they are only available with motherboard. Hence, motherboard needs to be changed.

Since there is no dedicated graphics chipset. The issue is with the cpu. And since cpu's are soldered and not removable, they are only available with motherboard. Hence, motherboard needs to be changed.
No. Cpu can be desoldered using bga machine. And new one resoldered. I have seen it being done, i have imported these cpus and stencils for the same via ebay . Bga rework machines are used.

What im saying is that CPU's are not easily available independent of motherboards. I inquired with multiple shops in Nehru Place. The most they offered was to refloat and resolder the same cpu. Otherwise whole motherboard need to bought to get the cpu. Getting the cpu from ebay would be around same cost. So while it is doable, the cost is not practical.

What im saying is that CPU's are not easily available independent of motherboards. I inquired with multiple shops in Nehru Place. The most they offered was to refloat and resolder the same cpu. Otherwise whole motherboard need to bought to get the cpu. Getting the cpu from ebay would be around same cost. So while it is doable, the cost is not practical.
Ok[emoji16]

Back