How to install W 7

sriharsha

Disciple
Dear TE gurus,

good afternoon...

A friend of mine has W 7 home basic OS laptop of 1 - 2 years old. Now the system needs to be formatted, however she does not have any recovery DVD.

Another friend of mine suggested "ahem" version to use for which she's not ready. What can we do to re install fresh copy of W 7 on her system?

:grammar Nazis, forgive me for my English::

warm regards,
Sriharsha

ah... I'll see it then ^. Furthermore, can I use ahem copy and give the original key to maintain its status???

I cannot comment on pirated software. I can tell you this:

1. DL the Windows 7 installer (BASIC version) from any legitimate source. It does NOT have a key, or any slipstream software.
2. If you manage to get the key of her prior installation, upon installation it will ask for key, input it.

You are done. Let the system patch all the updates, you shall be fine. Usually they key is on the back of the laptop.

If the current installation is a genuine copy, I think calling the Microsoft Support also allows one to get a copy of the key.

^ thank you . .. . I'll download and try... thank you. . . . :D can you tell me where can I find the link? :)

and thank you agantuk... I tried it... they gonna charge or something they said... lemme see

The key will be on the underside of the laptop.

Manufacturers dont bundle recovery disks, but they include a recovery partition with a utility to make a recovery disk.

Otherwise..
You can download the official Win 7 ISOs from digital river .. Dell Community - Win 7 ISO download links
Win 7 home basic is not available for download, so download one of the other editions.
Choose x86 or x64 depending on whether your laptop supports it.

Use ISO image edition switcher to switch it to Home Basic
winisoutils - Windows ISO Disc Image Utilities
Get the latest bin patches from here Windows 7 ISO Disc Image Utilities - Page 21
the bin patches for home basic are in folder .. 7601\EN\
GSP1RMCHBXFREO_EN_DVD Win 7 SP1 Home Basic OEM x64 English
GSP1RMCHBFREO_EN_DVD Win 7 SP1 Home Basic OEM x86 English

Get a copy of W7 from any source as long as its not a pre cracked version. Those may contain malware. Ensure you use the correct verision.

Next, use the key on the back of the laptop and install. If it asks to activate by phone (which it should, if it s a CoA key), call the number mentioned and get it activated by phone.

Else you can use a loader and spare the misery. Technically, you are not doing anything wrong as there is a W7 key for the same. I personally use a loader as doing activation is a real PITA.

Higher SKU keys can be used on the lower ones, but not the other way around.

Another option for you is to get a copy of W7 (any sku) and use any iso editor to remove the ei.cfg file. Ensure that you install/select the correct SKU when it asks.

OR you could use the recovery mode by pressing F11 (or whatever key it s is) during boot up :p

^^
Will his key work on a non Win 7 Basic installation.
It wont.
Thats why we use the ISO image edition switcher to change it to Basic.
This works because all editions except Enterprise are in the same WIM.

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

Get a copy of W7 from any source as long as its not a pre cracked version. Those may contain malware. Ensure you use the correct verision.

Another option for you is to get a copy of W7 (any sku) and use any iso editor to remove the ei.cfg file. Ensure that you install/select the correct SKU when it asks.
The digital river links are MS official, so its the safest option.
You can use MD5 hashes to verify.

I was going to recommend ei.cfg removal, but its not working for me with SP1 x64.
The ISO image switcher anyway only seems to modify the ei.cfg to the right edition.

The key will be on the underside of the laptop.

Manufacturers dont bundle recovery disks, but they include a recovery partition with a utility to make a recovery disk.

Dear Jarod,

tried those links... no luck. they are not opening. furthermore, there is no Windows key sticker, however product ID is there. Can I use it?

thank you...

My links got messed up while editing.
Re inserted the links.

Isnt there a sticker like this?
This is supposed to be there for authentic windows
oH2Bs.jpg

If the activated windows installation is accessible and is an OEM key, you can try ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) | directedge.us

vaayu, is the link given safe?

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

My links got messed up while editing.
Re inserted the links.

Jardon, no luck... I have OEM id... but not key. Can i use any key finder softwares as vaayu suggested??? please help me ...

Back