How to Sell & Ship food items outside India ??

You seem to know a lot in this.. Well yes, one of the product is Mango. Would you be able to talk on phone for the same ?

You seem to know a lot in this.. Well yes, one of the product is Mango. Would you be able to talk on phone for the same ?

I don't think I know all that much, but if you want to you can PM me. Phone is a bit of a problem due to my schedule.

Any idea which is chepear among this - UPS, USPS, TNT, DHL, Bluedart ?

Go and talk to each of these courier companies, if you give them a commitment ie x packages per day or y packages per month, the rates will significantly come down. For example BlueDart charges Rs 310 for a domestic shipment of up to 500 gms to a walk-in customer, whereas if you have an agreement with them that rate can even drop to less than Rs 50 (for eg through eBay PowerShip program I can ship a package anywhere in India for about Rs 45 of-course it has to be sold through eBay)

^^Correct about bluedart. The bluedart guy who comes to my office told me that it is 310 Rs for 500 Gms but in office they take 70 Rs for that.

Go and talk to each of these courier companies, if you give them a commitment ie x packages per day or y packages per month, the rates will significantly come down. For example BlueDart charges Rs 310 for a domestic shipment of up to 500 gms to a walk-in customer, whereas if you have an agreement with them that rate can even drop to less than Rs 50 (for eg through eBay PowerShip program I can ship a package anywhere in India for about Rs 45 of-course it has to be sold through eBay)

Thanks for heads up. Tips like this really help.
@raksrules.
Gujjubhai, What do you say ? Demand of Mangoes in US & UK ? Ofcourse there are number of other products too.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of Health and Safety regulations in shipping natural food items .. like fruits n veggies.

Firstly you are not allowed to carry one through customs ..
Secondly regarding the trade, there are strict requirements to having the fruits disinfected-cleaned-packaged.

A family members works in UP Dept. of Agriculture and they had to buy a multi crore "vapour cleaning" machine to disinfect the Mangoes that were to shipped out .. specifically to Japan as they don't allow the use of any sort of chemicals on fruits.

And I think there is already ample supply of Mangoes .. can you can offer prices/quality better than the Govt. is offering.

Thanks for heads up. Tips like this really help.
raksrules.
Gujjubhai, What do you say ? Demand of Mangoes in US & UK ? Ofcourse there are number of other products too.

Demand is really good in US but last year the alphanso that came at least near my place were bad. I did get Gujarat Kesar mango and they were decent. There were some mangoes that came from Hyderabad too. But there are already many Indian stores that do carry mangoes in the season. So yes people will prefer if you give them option of getting it delivered at home. But if the rates are exponentially high than Indian stores out there, you cannot expect good sales simply because people have option of better pricing.
But yes people who are not in areas where there are Indian stores would like this.
Btw you get almost everything in the US that you get in India, in terms of food atleast.

@dexBG
Thanks for highlighting. Well there is no competition with Govt. Govt does its bit to please farmer & show data to Delhi. We do ours :)

My friend is aware that disinfection is required & there are labs in countries who will do that & even provide ceritification ready for export. no worries on that.
@raksrules
Friend is not into alphanso. They are widely available across Maharastra. This would be only in Kesar. Complete treatment will be done in India. Only challenge is shipping now. Biggies like TNT, DHL quote 1800+ Rs just for 2 KG box. We need to get a lower thing here as sometimes mangoes are cheaper then shipping.

Any ideas ?

Only challenge is shipping now. Biggies like TNT, DHL quote 1800+ Rs just for 2 KG box. We need to get a lower thing here as sometimes mangoes are cheaper then shipping.
Any ideas ?

How about talking to ICC World to see whether they will reverse ship from India to the US and then see if you can work out a deal based on your projected volumes? ICC Worldwide is what's under the hood at iBhejo.com-Shop International Watches, Mobiles, Cameras ,Computers & much more products Online, http://www.ishopinternational.com etc.

Unit shipping costs with any courier service be it DHL, Fedex, TNT, ICC World etc. will work out very expensive. However if you can provide a guaranteed volume per month they might be inclined to give you a better deal.

@jsmithe,
Thank you. Good point to check with reverse ship.

Can anyone correct me, Do Air India/Jet Airways/Indigo cargo have their own courier services or they use DHL/TNT etc ?

^ I don't think the airlines will have a door to door or even a Airport to Door service. The cargo service they offer is only for Airport to Airport I believe.

jsmithe,
Thank you. Good point to check with reverse ship.

Can anyone correct me, Do Air India/Jet Airways/Indigo cargo have their own courier services or they use DHL/TNT etc ?

Airlines do carry cargo. They will however be expensive, even more than retail rates given by DHL etc, unless you have regular monthly volumes and can work out a deal.

You will rarely, if never, get to deal with the airlines directly for unaccompanied freight unless you have volumes or in the case of certain airlines "contacts". If you don't have the ability to deal with the airline directly you will have to go via a freight forwarder if you want to go the airline route. The freight forwarders are located in cities that have international air freight routes and will mostly not do pickup of your freight (i.e.) you will have to drop off.

The freight forwarder is the intermediary between you and the airline and will check and complete the paperwork that needs to be done for international air freight, where they can and are authorized to do so.

Back