PC Peripherals i5 Rig Cooler

meridien

Disciple
I have recently put together an i5 950 based rig on a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R Mobo, GSkill 4Gb RAM. Config mainly for video editing, transcoding etc. I notice that when all cores are in use and hitting 90%+, the CPU temp rises quickly and the inbuilt buzzer sounds, so I have to quit the app. I am using the stock cooler.

Two questions,
1. Is this normal behaviour for the CPU temp to go to 60C when all cores are in use (Setup isnt OCd). If not what will be next trouble shooting step.
2. What would be a good cooler to install with this CPU/Mobo combo, keeping in mind some amount of OC later.

Any inputs appreciated.

meridien said:
I have recently put together an i5 950 based rig on a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R Mobo, GSkill 4Gb RAM. Config mainly for video editing, transcoding etc. I notice that when all cores are in use and hitting 90%+, the CPU temp rises quickly and the inbuilt buzzer sounds, so I have to quit the app. I am using the stock cooler.

Two questions,
1. Is this normal behaviour for the CPU temp to go to 60C when all cores are in use (Setup isnt OCd). If not what will be next trouble shooting step.
2. What would be a good cooler to install with this CPU/Mobo combo, keeping in mind some amount of OC later.

Any inputs appreciated.

1. With the stock cooler, yes. THe temperatures on multi-threaded loads may touch 60'C. That's quite normal for these CPUs. Intel has not specified any threshold for the critical temperatures for the i7 series' CPUs but as a thumb rule, anything beyond 80'C, you're going to need alternatives. The processor itself has an integrated temperature control mechanism wherein it throttles the core clocks to lower the temperatures in the event of a cooling failure.

2. What budget are you willing to part for this cooler?

Thanks for the inputs guys. i5 750... typo :ashamed:

My case is a CM690, so something that will fit this width. Budget not a major constraint, I figure these cost between 2 to 4K...

If you aren't going to overclock much, coolermaster hyper 212 plus for < 2K should be more than enough. Even Hyper TX3 for 1.1K could handle i5 750 easily.

Thanks again all for your inputs.

@ asingh
The buzzer goes off at about 60C. Somehow that temp doesnt seem right since Im not OCing. Do you think the CPU may have issues - is there any way of checking if it is performing optimally.

Im considering the Thermalright MUX 120. Any idea on pricing and if this is available in Mumbai.

Also will this or the CM Hyper212+ fit in the CM690 case with the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R Mobo. Thanks!

No ways, should your system buzz at 60C. Something is wrong. What are you using to get these temperatures. DO NOT do a thing, till you have verified the following;

1. Are correct temperatures being reported.
2. Are temperatures being measured properly.
3. Why actually the system is over heating.

Do the following:
Download RealTEMP/CoreTEMP and check the temperatures. RealTEMP has a sensor test, do not run that yet. Also Everest Lavalys has temperature monitoring. Cross reference the temperatures from these three applications. You could have a 'stuck' sensor. Also your BIOS would have some temperature settings, check those too. It would be the RPM ratings for the fans, and speed up at certain temperatures. Reset the BIOS once, and commit it. Try not to stress your system to much. Sorry about this.

Also please could you also update your signature with system specifications. Thanks.

Thanks asingh for your inputs. I was monitoring the settings on the the 'Smart6; App that comes with the Gigabyte board. I also used CoreTemp.

When I run Mediacoder or Ripbot264 (both encoding apps that use all cores) the system runs stable for an hour or so and then the temp begins to rise and the beep starts at about 60C.

With normal load Im getting the following:
Cor i5 750 1199 MHz 133.24 x 9.0
GPU Load 47C, Load 8.2%
Temp 42 40 44 38
Dist to TJMax 57 59 56 61
Min 42 39 43 38
Max 52 49 51 48
Thermal Status OK

The readings are tallying with RealTemp and CoreTemp.

Will try resetting the BIOS and see if it changes things. Thanks again.

Hi, Looks like I had changed the CPU temp alarm setting in the BIOS. I anyway reflashed BIOS and now I dont get any beeping at high temps.

At full load temps are in the region of 60C.
I think I will still go with a CPU cooler and mild OC.

Still leaning towards the Thermalright MUX 120. Let me know your thoughts on this and other coolers. Thanks.

Hi, I have been searching the boards and googling, but cant find a definite answer if the Thermalright MUX 120 or CM Hyper 212+ will fit in the CM690 case. Could anyone using a similar height cooler confirm (160mm)

I also found some low height coolers. Tuniq Propeller 120 Sunbeam and Noctua NH-C12P SE14. These are much shorter and will fit for sure. Any inputs on their performance. Thanks!

dude, just order the Dark Knight from mediahome. At less than 2.5K, it looks good vfm.

CM hyper 212+ should be the minimum I guess. Dont think TX3 is much better than stock cooler... ok maybe slightly better.

meridien said:
Hi, I have been searching the boards and googling, but cant find a definite answer if the Thermalright MUX 120 or CM Hyper 212+ will fit in the CM690 case. Could anyone using a similar height cooler confirm (160mm)

I also found some low height coolers. Tuniq Propeller 120 Sunbeam and Noctua NH-C12P SE14. These are much shorter and will fit for sure. Any inputs on their performance. Thanks!

For height constraint, you can consider Hyper N520 from Cooler Master. It is only 141mm in Height.

meridien said:
Hi, Looks like I had changed the CPU temp alarm setting in the BIOS. I anyway reflashed BIOS and now I dont get any beeping at high temps.

At full load temps are in the region of 60C.
I think I will still go with a CPU cooler and mild OC.

Still leaning towards the Thermalright MUX 120. Let me know your thoughts on this and other coolers. Thanks.

Before buying an OEM HSF, it would be better to bring your system to absolute stock. See what is the lowest vCore you can get it stable at. And then check temperatures. Then see how much you want to OC. If you can OC, and temperatures are fine...WHY get another HSF.

Back