Audio IEM for iPhone for daily use

sarang

Skilled
Advance apologies for another el-cheapo IEM thread.

Till October I thought I was well covered on almost all fronts for my audio needs.

Desktop -> AE2 / HD437
Living Room -> Paradigm Monitor Titan v.6 (Getting an ATH M50 as well)
Car -> Stock ICE as of now :ashamed:

October changed my work location to a place where I am forced to take a bus. The journey is close to 1 Hr to and 1:15 - 1:30 hrs fro. The bus is a cranky old affair (Need decent isolation).

The source is iPhone4 mostly ALAC/320 nothing less. Rarely some tech-podcasts. Would rather avoid amping considering the hassle.

Content mostly New Age (Enigma/Enya/CBLF/FSOL/Kitaro/Govi)/Ambient/World/Jazz and Ghazals and Indian Classical. Hardly any rock/pop/filmy stuff. Not a basshead.

Budget: Would like to restrict to sub 3K

Like to have: Sturdy build, non L-shaped, decent carrying case/winding, microphone :ashamed:

PS: Please remember that this is strictly for bus commutes and will not be my primary listening equipment.

brainwavz m2/m1 has good build quality... i'd recommend them.

you can also get the klipsch ones as they have good build and 2 local years warranty. also they have very good fit.

@strategy: Thanks! I see that you own a S4 as well, I can probably stretch my budget a little to fit in the S4i or something similarly priced provided they fit the requirements. Otherwise the M2 sounds like a good deal at 49$.

Since you need something with mic S4i could be perfect if you dont mind stretching the budget. Its pretty good in terms of SQ and has an amazing fit and comfort. But not sure if the SQ will suit you since you say you are not a basshead. The S4i has plenty of bass .It ain't very boomy but nice and tight. The issue is once in a while it can get muddy and spoil the mids slightly. Mids are also fairly good .Male vocals sound amazing , just yesterday was listening to Kailash Kher on the S4 and absolutely loved it . The soundstage is also very wide , lot better than most IEMs in similar price range. The treble is nice and sparky as well but has a hint of sibilance. You might be able to reduce it using EQ.

The other mic'ed IEMs you can consider are Klipsch S2M , MeeElectronics M6P and SoundMagic MP-21. If you dont want to spent a lot and dont mind something decent yet very balanced sounding compared to your other gear go for the MP-21. It wont make you go wow but will surely wont disappoint you in terms of SQ/Price ratio .

The other options you have is to buy an iPhone mic adapter and use any IEM of your choice with it .There are loads of them .Some expensive sleek ones and some cheap ones like this.

eBay India: Headphone Jack Adapter / Adaptor + mic for iPhone (item 170565004410 end time 18-Nov-2010 23:18:49 IST)

Sarang if your too confused do this members here have M2 and S4 or what ever IEM you are about to buy .If i am not wrong there is some loaner program going on in TE .Ask them to ship it to you test them and pick it this way you will be happy when you get yours .Sound is subjective :p

@Metalspree: :p I see where you are coming from talking about the "loan" program.

@fah33m: Thank you, we already have PL11/ PL30 and an EP830(left ear No more) in the house so would rather try something else. Been reading around head-fi about the S4s bass issues and they say it diminishes over burn-in period. You have a well burnt in pair right, is it still muddy? I'd prefer better vocal emphasis, however I realize can't be too nitpicky at this price point.

@4Shailesh: Interesting suggestion, wish the RE0 had a "with mic" variant.

Yes I do have a very well burnt in S4. The bass + mids isn't very muddy .Noticeable only in very few bass heavy tracks where the bass bleeds into the mids a little. But overall they are pretty good .Almost as good as my Brainwavz M2 which actually comes close to the detailing of some 80$ IEMs as well .Infact 1-2 of my friends found S4 more musical and detailed than M2 ;).

Read a few more reviews and take your call.

^ You are welcome .Hope my impressions match yours when you get it and you are happy with it . Thanks for the reps ;).

FaH33m I am also waiting for the S4i to come down a bit in price, as NewEgg and TigerDirect have sold them for $65.00 in the past. But are they good for me as I like my bass boomy and not that punchy?

Never heard the M2 or any mid-top tier IEMs (Except the over hyped Bose) and I must say I am almost in love with these. The mids could have used a better distinction but I guess the burn-in should sort this out. Using my preferred method of using the equipment to burn it naturally instead of brute force. It also allows me to
1. Enjoy the virginity of the device.
2. Enjoy the subtle variations as the unit ages (I remember how beautifully my 437s aged) It might be a placebo but is fun none-the-less.
3. Get used to the device.

Back