Ikea wins Indian agency approval for stores

Ikea doesn't run stores out of space in Malls.
They have their own buildings (basically giant warehouses).

Also, Ikea products aren't necessarily the highest quality. You'll probably get better quality furniture from a local furniturewala. What Ikea brings to the equation, primarily, is fancy new age design at (relatively) cheap mass produced prices.

you guys are crazy to think after all this palm greasing and huge initial investment in store space in overpriced malls, the prices will be similar to other countries. Prices for their goods would most probably be amongst the costliest in India.

most of retail space has been bought up by builders in most cities. i dont think Ikea would consider setting up warehouses outside cities or in villages. So only way for them would be to buy up entire malls or buy some space and tear down existing buildings and construct new one in its place. That's a lot of effort and time and money spent. And the indian consumer always looks for value for money. no matter how rich a person is, he wont buy anything like wooden or steel furniture if he does not see any advantages in it. and most people here do not even know of ikea brand. plus the idea of putting furniture together themselves is foreign here.

most of retail space has been bought up by builders in most cities. i dont think Ikea would consider setting up warehouses outside cities or in villages. So only way for them would be to buy up entire malls or buy some space and tear down existing buildings and construct new one in its place. That's a lot of effort and time and money spent. And the indian consumer always looks for value for money. no matter how rich a person is, he wont buy anything like wooden or steel furniture if he does not see any advantages in it. and most people here do not even know of ikea brand. plus the idea of putting furniture together themselves is foreign here.

Advertising my friend, just wait for it. It will change the mentality of an entire society.

Back