OC & Modding Installation of VenomousX results in system restart

Audiophi1le

Live eviL
Skilled
My friend got a Vx and after installing it on (LGA 1366) i7 920 and MSI X58 pro system keeps restarting no display.

GPU everytiung is fine, system runs perfectly with stock cooler.
Case Stacker 830, PSU Corsair TX850.

We installed the Vx around 3- 4 times. same problem.

Is it shorting? anyone faced with dame issue?

joel.monty said:
ITs not shorting,just try to on your pc without a heatsink your pc will restart there is no contact between the heatsink and cpu.
it must either be shorting or as u say no conact between HSF.....but HSF installed firmly
moksh4u2 said:
i have a ven x and it works fine for me
here try this though
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036004350

hope it worked for u
:)

thx its booting now..temp is like 50C idle at stock....must reinstall paste agin
asingh said:
Is it reaching the BIOS..?
no, display.....led ligts of fans light up and die before system restarts..

the new issue is TEmp is at 50C idle on stock i7 920 and maxes out at 80c.....this was the most problematic cooler installation i have ever seen which includes V8 and V10 :(

Are you installing it with the board taken out of the case. I suggest you do if you arent already doing so and make sure the cooler is securely fastened against the cpu.

Audiophi1le said:
it must either be shorting or as u say no conact between HSF.....but HSF installed firmly

thx its booting now..temp is like 50C idle at stock....must reinstall paste agin

no, display.....led ligts of fans light up and die before system restarts..

the new issue is TEmp is at 50C idle on stock i7 920 and maxes out at 80c.....this was the most problematic cooler installation i have ever seen which includes V8 and V10 :(

Whats your ambient temp?

Those VX gave me around 42C idle..

Re-do the TIM. Thin layer, evenly spread out. I somehow never trusted the pea-dot. (Though am using that application as of now -- not satisfied).

hello guys :D,

I was the one who was having this issue with my VX..... and i m glad to let u guys know tht the issue which i was facing was fixed.And ya it was shorting issue first as the backplate of my vx was directly in contact with the MOBO.So as per the instruction guide given by moksh4u2 (thks dude :)) i used washers on VX backplate to solve this issue.

Now guys the only question in my mind is if these are normal temps for an i7 920 with a VX-

IDLE-39*C
LOAD-63*C ........ proc is at 2.8 ghz

I m using the push-pull config with scythe silent typhoon fans

Thanks again to everyone for ur inputs

Back