PC Peripherals Installing Speakers - Help

Hey guys. Please help. Im totally clueless about audio hardware. I have this set of 5 speakers from KLH (?). They are all non-amplified with one wide (sized) speaker and 4 small ones. How can I connect them to my Asus K8N board with Realtek ALC 8-channel audio (but there are only 6 audio sockets at the back :huh: ).

Because they are not amplified I can't get a good output either. I connected one of the speaker (the wider one) using a spare stereo jack, to the line-out socket on the board. In Realtek connector sensing app (Realtek Sound Effect Manager) I mentioned the speakers as Stereo Headphone/ Passive Speaker, but the output is not improved. Headphones however work well enough with a good ouput volume :huh:

All the speakers have only got two spring clip type connectors at the back (you push down a button, insert the naked wires, one in each clip, and let go of the button, hope I explained clearly). Inserting the other end of free wire in a stereo jack.

Do I have to get an amplifier? In that case what kind of amp? Or is it 5 Amps :ashamed: How to connect the speakers to get a 5 channel sound?

Thanks.

Halley, don't connect the spkrs dorectly to your board's sound output...The impedance of normal speakers is too low, and you may end up blowing the audio section on ur Mobo...
The audio amp on the mobo is meant for high impedance devices like headphones and/or feeding to a higher powered amp....which is why ur gettin good sound on the Headphones.....

Here is what you need to do...since u r frm delhi, go over to Lajpat Rai mkt (opposite Lal Qila), pick up a decent quality 5.1 amp
Actually u can assemble one urself as it's fairly easy , but frankly there's an almost negligibel price diff. b/w assembling one urself or buying one directly (but only if u r buying frm low margin mkts like Lajpat Rai market)

Take the wide sized speaker (I assume it''s the center bass unit) along if you don't know the power rating of the speakers, or else note down the power rating before u go (RMS input rating) and ask for a matching 5.1 amp ( prie would depend upon the power amp chip used in the Amp, prices vary from 1.5 K to 7 K for locally assembled 5.1 amps) (In chennai)

Get it home, connect appropriately, (Post again if u need help on that) and enjoy :D

Thanks for the help. Here's what found about the speakers on the net. Nothing is written on the speakerrs or box except 8 ohm impedance.

Features:

* Finish: Black Woodgrain Vinyl
* One Pair Front & One Pair Rear
* Miniature Square Twisty Style Satellite Speakers
* 3- 5/8 Fiber Cone Woofer
* 5/8 Dome Tweeter (multi-directional)
* Frequency Response: 80 Hz - 20 kHz
* Crossover: Multi-Element
* Sensitivity: 86 dB @ 1W - 1M
* Dimensions: 6-3/8"H x 4"W x 5"D
* Power Handling 5-100 Watts Suggested ( :huh: )
* Magnetically shielded to prevent video distortion
* Cloth Removable Grills
* Includes One Center Channel -dual 3-5/8
* Includes Speaker Wires And Mounting Brackets

Note:
Model 40910 has 5 speakers, 2 for the front, 2 for the rear and one3-5/8 Fiber Cone Woofer.

Back