Is Hackintosh still worth it?

chungus

Market Restricted
Disciple
I'm thinking of making my second PC into a hackintosh but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle or not.
It also has lots of stability issues and apple will be removing the macos support in few year as they have transitioned to arm

I'm thinking of making my second PC into a hackintosh but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle or not.
It also has lots of stability issues and apple will be removing the macos support in few year as they have transitioned to arm
If u don't have budget for a mac then yes, else no! also if u are extensively using mac for your work. I have a hackintosh seating on an ssd which I don;t boot to. Windows on that system. for mac, its macbook for me.

What is the advantage? I do have a 2010 MacBook air that runs fine. But I felt my Debian PC has more apps and features than Mac os. Mac OS is much more polished and stable than Debian and doesn't need much hacking to get things to work, but I don't think it will be the same on third-party hardware. I only use AIr for my office work and that is great for that, for everything else I use the Linux PC.

edit: I think its the hardware that is making apple special.

What is the advantage? I do have a 2010 MacBook air that runs fine. But I felt my Debian PC has more apps and features than Mac os. Mac OS is much more polished and stable than Debian and doesn't need much hacking to get things to work, but I don't think it will be the same on third-party hardware. I only use AIr for my office work and that is great for that, for everything else I use the Linux PC.

edit: I think its the hardware that is making apple special.
Just for the sake of it. I've never experienced macos and want to see if it lives upto my expectations

Is it usable for regular things like browsing, basic video editing etc with final cut?
MacBook Air? It is more than 10 years old. But good as a 10-year-old machine. Works well for browsing and light tasks. I did edit videos on iMovie, not sure if it can handle Final Cut.

MacOs is not a wonder, Windows 11 will do everything much better and you will get the driver for all PC components or if you are comfortable with Linux go for a stable distro like Debian.

Apple works well inside the echo system. If you have Apple hardware, software, etc everything will work super efficiently. I don't think that's the case if you hack and install it in 3rd party hardware.

But if you just want to experience macos, then there is nothing to lose, isn't it? You can always format and switch OS. :)

I second Jayant. To make things even simpler, you can install MacOS on a USB SSD/HDD and keep on perfecting the stability of MacOS with your hardware incrementally.

Just for the sake of it. I've never experienced macos and want to see if it lives upto my expectations
It’s kinda pointless now for the intended purpose , esp after the ARM chips.

Even I at its peak, hackint0sh was meant more for someone who was already used to the Os but wanted a custom rig for specific purposes.
As a first trial run for a new os though, it made little sense even back then and all the more so now.

It’s kinda pointless now for the intended purpose , esp after the ARM chips.

Even I at its peak, hackint0sh was meant more for someone who was already used to the Os but wanted a custom rig for specific purposes.
As a first trial run for a new os though, it made little sense even back then and all the more so now.
I just wanna experience it. I quite like the process of working through things when they aren't going on your way

I've never experienced macos

That was me in 2006 when I tried OS X on my main desktop. It's been difficult to return to windows ever since — I've become very reliant on system-wide scripting and automations.

I do use windows' built-in weather app and clock/alarm/tiemzone app every day through a VM. And occasionally Rufus for preparing bootable usb drives for BIOS updates for my other systems.

I just wanna experience it. I quite like the process of working through things when they aren't going on your way
i know exactly what you are saying..

The only catch being each OS has its own USP..
Linux can be painful to configure - but once done, it will run that way for years without a glitch or restarts
People who like windows like it for its features and wide availability of all kinds of apps ..
With OS X , people who like it do so for its repeatable reliability..

With hackintosh, the repeatable reliability is what you lose.. and since you have not used it before, you wouldnt realize whats amiss

Intel support for MacOS is going to end in the next year or so, a Hackintosh setup now doesn't make much sense from a support perspective and it never quite did quite make a lot of sense otherwise if your hardware didn't quite align in terms of supported hardware, especially with Nvidia cards.

If you just want to experience MacOS, freely available VMs are enough to understand how it works and such.

If you actually want to use MacOS productively and at full tilt, then getting a Mac Mini is a good entry point.

You hit the nail bang on the head. A M2 pro Mac Mini is what I got this April. The biggest problem with a hackintosh is they take long to boot once you have a few apps starting up alongside. Application launches too are slow compared to windows on same hardware. A new major build change means too much of tinkering. The Mac Mini has a lot going for it in terms of convenience. It is so compact and fast and not so power hungry. It boots X2 faster at least.

Back