Storage Solutions Is this SMART info normal?

Rickyk

Skilled
Guys, I need your help.

I have a WD My Passport Ultra 1 TB drive. This is a couple of months old.

I bought another new WD My Passport Ultra 1 TB (for someone else). This was delivered to me a short while ago (via Amazon).

PASSMARK DiskCheckup works properly on the older drive and shows all the SMART attributes. However when I run it on the NEW drive, it detects the drive but fails to show any SMART data at all!

Crystaldiskinfo on the other hand, reads the SMART info for the NEW drive without issue. I can't understand why PASSMARK DiskCheckup fails to work on the NEW drive. :confused:

Anyway, running Crystaldiskinfo threw up something I felt was a little "weird" and I want to know if this is normal or whether I need to return the new drive. Take a look at the image below, specifically for items marked with a RED RECTANGLE -

ezt11SJ.jpg

The drive on the left is the older drive and the one on the right is not even 10 minutes old. Yet the SMART data for both is very different. Now I DO know that drives will tend to have differing SMART data based on age/usage etc. but thats not what I mean.

READ ERROR RATE for the older drive is -
200 (Current) 200 (Worst) 51 (Threshold).

The NEW drive shows the same as -
100 (Current) 253 (Worst) 51 (Threshold).

Similarly, SEEK ERROR RATE for the old drive is 200/200/0 whereas for the NEW drive its 100/253/0
-and-
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count for the old drive is 200/200/0 whereas for the NEW drive its 100/253/0.

As above, C8 ie- WRITE ERROR RATE for the old drive is 200/200/0 whereas for the NEW drive its 100/253/0.

Are these differences "NORMAL" considering these drives are almost identical (same firmware, slightly different model no.)?

I have not copied any files onto the new drive yet.

Is there something potentially wrong with the NEW drive? Should I return it? I can if required as I bought it via Amazon.

A quick reply would be appreciated.

Also of note, Amazon's packaging standard for HDD's has really GONE DOWN!

The earlier drive I bought came in a box with air bags for added protection.

This "new" drive was delivered in a standard Amazon card board box with ZERO additional protection!

Although the sellers were different in the two cases (first was Croma and the new drive was Cloudtail), both orders were "Amazon Fulfilled" so the seller shouldn't really matter.

Looks like Amazon.in has started cutting corners... :(

Last edited:
Relax dont panic.
Take a secondary advice and try HD tune and Hard Disk Sentinel.

If all seems good i these then you dont have to worry. Check for the health, temps, yellow and red warnings, do a quick scan under error scan. Post the results here if they too are doubtful.

Just ran HD Tune on the new drive. Same problem as with Passmark.

Under the "Info" tab it has "ticked" SMART as a "supported feature" for this drive.

However when you switch to the "Health" tab there are no smart info attributes for this drive. All it shows in this tab is this -
UvYh6aZ.jpg

HD Tune cant seem to read the SMART values for the drive either.
Ran Error Scan > Quick Scan, drive shows no errors.

Testing Hard Disk Sentinel next...[DOUBLEPOST=1418309700][/DOUBLEPOST]Hard Disk Sentinel reads the SMART info from the new drive properly and shows no errors (as far as I can tell). Take a look -
gY7UbpI.jpg

n6soG01.jpg

So advice - return or keep?

Also any idea why some apps (Passmark Diskcheck/HD Tune) are unable to read the SMART data of the NEW drive while reading it off my SSD and old WD Ultra just fine?

And why the difference in the base/threshold values of the two WD Ultras?

Last edited:
For CrystalDiskInfo, you only need to read the data under the 'Raw values' column. All are '0' in your case, so nothing to worry about. The data is in hex.

The current/value and worst fields are ambiguous.

HDTune and Passmark are probably struggling to read the SMART info through the drive's USB controller.

@Crazy_Eddy
Good to know that the data for the current/value fields can vary.

Any idea why HDTune & Passmark read my older WD My Passport Ultra just fine, while "detecting" the new drive (including all its features/parameters) but show a BLANK page where SMART attributes are concerned?

As the drives are almost identical I would assume the drives would both have similar USB controllers.

Last edited:
Dont know but I always trust Hard Disk Sentinel and HD tune. In fact HD Tune displays complete info for my usb drives well.

Back