Car & Bike Is xtra premium petrol really good compare to normal unleaded?

ultimabasher said:
Head to xbhp and read for R15. R15 has a compression ratio > 1. Any engine that has a compression ratio of more than 1 can make better use of premium petrol.

I too have R15. With normal petrol I get avg in 30's. With extra it crosses 40's and no I am not joking.
Compression ratio is always > 1.
As WikedTA said, higher octane fuel only comes into play at a compression ratio of around 9 and above.

Petrol leaves a residue when it evaporates. So when the engine is switched off, the unburnt petrol in the nozzle and lines evaporates and leaves a dry residue. The additive ensures that the residue is not dry so that it is cleaned easily the next time engine starts.

So for short runs, the additives are good. For long distances, normal fuel is fine.

And also which fuel brand station you guys prefer?

1.Indian oil.

2.Bhart Petroleum .

3.Reliance (not found easily)

4.Shell (not found easily)

5.Hindustan petroleum

6.Essar. (not found easily)

IMHO,

1. Shell

2. BP CO

3. Rel CO

4. IOL CO

5. HP CO

6. Essar !?

If you intend to use Premium fuel for vehicle that doesn't necessarily need it, use it once in a while, while sticking to normal unleaded fuel for the most part.

However, if it does explicitly support Premium fuel, go right ahead. Shell Super Unleaded is probably your best bet.

Grease Monk said:
Compression ratio is always > 1.

As WikedTA said, higher octane fuel only comes into play at a compression ratio of around 9 and above.
Err I had read somewhere that it was 1.1 or 1.2 for R15. let me dig in and check. I can be wrong :p

ultimabasher said:
Err I had read somewhere that it was 1.1 or 1.2 for R15. let me dig in and check. I can be wrong :p
Its 10.4:1 Products | India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@TE excellent response guys...thanks a lot, i really liked it :)

After reading all the above post i have few words to say i.e the post above shows that premium petrol is good for those engine which are made for premium use or can say those engines which can take full use of the chemical present in premium fuel :) like for example Yamaha R15 engine which got special design and architecture, but the normal engine like in cbz, krizma, discover,pulsur, and so on can use the premium fuel periodically (like many members said), now its clear to me about use of Premium fuel in a bike....keep on posting if anyone have some other knowledge on this:)

now i wanna discuss about 4 wheeler engines:) only if their is any difference and if the above posts are enough and same as for 4 wheelers engine then leave it :)

@ultimabasher this ratio thing esp for R15 is still little confuseing to me i.e you said that its 1:1 or 1:2 for R15 and as WikedTA said higher octane fuel only comes into play at a compression ratio of around 9 and above. R15 got 10.4:1

@TE staff i wanna replay with multiquote but can't see the mutiquote bottom

Checked. Its 10.4:1 :p. He was right. Anything above 9 is good. R15 is having a very sturdy engine to be able to produce 17 bhp being a measly 150 cc bike. Go ahead without a doubt, premium petrol has additives and not just cleansing agents. Those additives help in better combustion and less residual that gets stuck on the engine thus giving a better mileage too. To get the best idea about average, just drive your bike in reserve and keep a check on the fuel level inside the tank and the kms it runs in F. Mine does close to 80 with some petrol left at the bottom before I refuel.

IIRC, Honda (for Activa) and Suzuki (for Access) service technicians specially said not to go for Premium petrol... never went into details...

Personally go for indian oil..

there is nothing other than HP and indian oil here....

first time hearing the name Shell... :eek:hyeah:

Back