Storage Solutions Joined the SSD Bandwagon - Need to hear the best practices for continued performance

cybervinay

Disciple
I received my 64GB Corsair X64 extreme SSD drive from USD few days back.
Before I start using that I want to go thru the best practices before and after formatting and start using the SSD drives

Please share your expereinces or point to any helpful details on this.

I will update here, once I start using my SSD
--Vinay Arora

Re: Joined the SSD Bandwagon - Need to hear the best practices for continued performa

Avoid defrag utilities - that's one I know of.

Keep your swap file on the SSD.

Re: Joined the SSD Bandwagon - Need to hear the best practices for continued performa

What OS and firmware version do you have? I believe your drive is also IndiLinx based so you now have TRIM+GC (just update to latest firmware) which means you are good to go for any OS, old or new.

Best, just search online for guides/tips etc. especially to reduce writes, for example, yes, disabling defrag, special filesystem settings in linux (noatime option, tmpfs in memory) etc.

Also search for partition alignment in case you are custom formatting it via wierd tools, I havent checked this myself, gotta do it soon. Windows 7 should just be plug and play (it automatically disabled background defrag etc)

And, um, welcome to THE BANDWAGON :eek:hyeah:

cybervinay said:
Please share your expereinces or point to any helpful details on this.

In a nutshell: Its just freakin' awesome, you let us know how you find yours...

vishalrao said:
What OS and firmware version do you have? I believe your drive is also IndiLinx based so you now have TRIM+GC which means you are good to go for any OS, old or new.

Yes it is IndiLinx based.

As far as I know the firmware for Corsair X64 does not support TRIM.
TRIM supported version firmware will be released by Corsair shortly.

I will be using "Windows 7"

cybervinay said:
I found two excellent threads. Nice read and very useful when setting up SSD for Windows 7

Windows 7 Tips & Tweaks - Corsair Forums

* Windows 7 Ultimate Tweaks & Utilities * - OCZ Forums

Do not implement any of that!

If you do all that, what is the use of buying an SSD? Windows 7 automatically disables Defragmenting. Just check for that and let the rest be.

What those tweaks do is increase the life of your SSD at the cost of additional OS performance. Under normal use, an SSD is estimated to take at least 10 years to fail. You bought an SSD to have awesome system performance. Don't let fear of the limited write cycles decrease your system performance.

Although I will be distressed after you reply, still, how much did it cost you in Indian rupees ?

Man I have been excited about SSDs when I first read about them in a post by Linus Torvalds on some obscured list when he was sharing his experience about the Core i7. Big performance gains. And strangely enough I can't seem to find that post anymore(forgot to bookmark).

alcy said:
Although I will be distressed after you reply, still, how much did it cost you in Indian rupees ?

Mine was list 235 USD...I had to order 1-day shipping as I came to know at the very last moment that my friend is coming from USA. I ended up paying approx 255 USD.

Intel 80Gb are available here in India for 13K INR.

Note that Intel apparently has released a 40GB model, excellent choice to break into SSD world RIGHT NOW at an "affordable" price point :D

Also, concerns about stuff like TRIM + GC are no longer valid, because at least IndiLinux based drives (like mine and OP's) have (or will soon) them both, meaning ANY DANG OPERATING SYSTEM (old or new) can basically work with these beauties now...

If you want BOTH affordability, more speed and better stability (like latest SATA6gbps support) - then wait for Seagate/WD etc to join the market - wait til end of this year to buy the latest model at your budget.

edit: agreed about write-wear concerns - i dont care - i have not really done any special tricks to avoid writes (except "noatime" option in linux but that is also for perf) i believe my SSD will last long enough :)

Back