Budget 31-40k Laptop for casual usage

• What's your Budget? Want to keep it under 40k if possible.
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? Browsing and watching Media (youtube/movies etc)
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? Doesnt matter, portability isnt a requirement since it will never leave the house. Neither is battery back up critical.
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? Known brands preferable.
  • Any other considerations? USB C charging would be great. IPS panel is pretty much required, all TN panels I have seen on laptops are terrible.
My main questions are -

1 Is it worth considering buying used? I am in Delhi, practically next door to Nehru Place (if you know any trusted sellers, please drop a recommendation). And if it is worth buying used, what should I be aiming at (as in, is an i5 8th gen considered too old)?

Or is my usage and budget means I should just get something new (since performance isnt really an issue and I am ok spending 30-40k).

2 I am primarily looking at i3 which seems to fit in my budget (and maybe the odd i5). Is it worth considering AMD as an alternative for my use case?

3 Who would give me the best bang for buck display in that price range?

4 Do you get a better deal than Amazon/Flipkart if you go to a brands showroom in Nehru place?

If main use is media consumption, I would recommend getting a Xiaomi Pad 6 or something similar.

You can buy 12th gen i3 laptops for 35k ish - https://www.amazon.in/Acer-i3-1215U-Premium-Windows-AL15-52/dp/B0CM6GVR56 is an acer option, but every laptop maker will have a similar configuration available.

Don't buy any laptop older than 12th generation in my opinion - 11th gen i3 has 2 cores with hyper threading, as compared to 12th gen i3 which has 2 performance cores (with hyper threading) and 4-8 efficiency cores (depending on the CPU model). The efficiency cores perform similar to 7th gen laptop, and the heavier cores can take up any of the bigger loads.

HP Pavilion
Lenovo Ideapad
These two are the newer variants about a 1000-2000 more than your budget
Youre getting 16GB 7520U (4 cores 8 threads on Zen 2 architechture)
Power efficient chips and fairly new laptops but if you want a better bang for your buck you may look at

Lenovo Ideapad 5500U

HP Pavilion

Both these have a 5500U with a 6 core 12 Thread processor based on Zen 2 albeit better than the 7520U but a little bit further older
Please do remember to get a minimum of 16GB of ram on whichever variant you may choose

16GB is the new 8 GB, so try upgrading to 32GB if possible. Things are becoming more and more memory consuming.

The USB C charging is definitely a boon, pair it with a powerbank with PD and it can keep the laptop topped up in case of emergencies.

But yeah I still stand by my tablet recommendation for movies and stuff XD

Back