Budget 51-70k Laptop from the states

Hi!

Looking to get a sub 1000$ laptop,

Primary for general use along with some FEA/CFD and some coding work and occasional gaming
I was thinking something along the lines of a 14/15.6 screen, i5/i7, as much RAM as possible, and a SSD/hybrid drive.
Will be lugging the laptop around, but don't mind sacrificing weight for performance.

What would be options be?

You could very well get some of the ultrabooks, or those dual laptop-cum-tablet type of notebooks (for eg. Lenovo Yoga) at your budget. I am not sure of any particular model though. You could check at Amazon for prices.

I did some more research and have come up with the following options..

Lenovo Y500
or the Asus N56

both have full HD screens and backlit keyboards.
The y500 comes with the nvidia 750m but with no optimus.
The N56 doesn't have a mSata port to add a SSD later on, will have to replace the main drive with an SSD and put the main drive into the DVD slot.
Looked at the MSI GE60 but they seem a tad flashy and bulky.

My main aim is to get a i7 system that can be upgraded with at least 16GB of RAM and has an mSata port to add a SSD to the main drive later on.
Are they any other offerings in the price range?

Y500 is limited time 799$,it will be back to 1149$ soon... The gt650m one is for 800-900$...

Also Lenovo warranty is not transferable to india. And the Y500 has a touched defect. .. Other than that, there is no laptop that beats the Y500.

No problem with wifi, touch pad is manufacturer defect, i got it replaced with a new Synaptics touch pad within 2 days of buying the laptop..

I use one.

My only problem with the lenovo is that the Gfx card will be eating battery all the time, even for regular use.
I will not be transferring the warranty to India so not an issue.
Any other options in the price range? I was looking at the Msi Gt60 which seems to be a beast.

My only problem with the lenovo is that the Gfx card will be eating battery all the time, even for regular use.
I will not be transferring the warranty to India so not an issue.
Any other options in the price range? I was looking at the Msi Gt60 which seems to be a beast.

MSI make the most VFM gaming laptops out there and IIRC, they have international warranty as well.

No doubt the Lenovo Y500 looks like it's total VFM - however the smaller screen 15.6" & just 16GB SSD is a major drawback.

MSI have moved out of India - so unless you frequently travel to the US, this would be a risky proposition.

So the choice could be between Dell > HP > Sony > Toshiba

As your budget is $1000 you have many options & in this price range Lenovo does not rank very high as they do not use quality components.

If you are open for Ultrabook then the Dell XPS13 is the best.

I'll be traveling to Europe mostly so warranty should be valid there. I did some checking and Dell/HP/Lenovo/asus/Msi have warranty there.

Ideally, I'd like a i7 (3630) proccy, I would like to be able to upgrade the RAM to 16GB in the near future. An SSD isn't a must have, but the option to add one (via mSATA) should be there so that I can add one later on.
I'd prefer a 15" FHD screen as I find it a pain to work with spreadsheets on lower resolutions. Most Ultrabooks seem to have the RAM soldered directly onto the Mobo, not letting you upgrade/add more later.
Shall do some more reading!

Back