Video Lauched | DTH HD | India

Sun Direct HD

Sun Direct launches HD services

Special Correspondent

MUMBAI: Sun Direct, a direct-to-home (DTH) service provider, has launched its high definition (HD) broadcast on DTH platform. It has crossed the three-million subscriber base since its launch in December 2007.

Tony D’Silva, Chief Operating Officer, Sun Direct, said “We believe that in the constantly changing viewership dynamics and taste, to keep the viewer continuously happy and engaged we need to offer them new and exciting options and HD is another first from the Sun Direct stable.â€

“Another landmark achievement for us is crossing the three-million mark subscriber base by March 2009, as committed earlier. This qualifies us to be the number two service DTH provider. In the coming fiscal year, we look forward to occupy the pole position,†he added.

HDTV is considered among the best digital broadcast platforms with a higher resolution than traditional television system. The images and pictures appear more clear and sharp and sound quality is also enhanced.

Sun Direct offers 41 add-on packages ranging from Rs. 6 to Rs. 300 a month of the most viewed channels. It offers a basic package of over 130 channels in digital clarity with DVD quality pictures and sound for an introductory offer of Rs. 499 (five months subscription before tax), along with free dish and set-top box.

Sun Direct is a 80:20 joint venture between the Maran family and the Astro Group of Malaysia.

Source: The Hindu : Business : Sun Direct launches HD services

~LT

^^ Where did you get that amount from ?

I only read this in the article

t offers a basic package of over 130 channels in digital clarity with DVD quality pictures and sound for an introductory offer of Rs. 499 (five months subscription before tax), along with free dish and set-top box.

10k as one time investment is ok...when compared to HD Content
Access Usage Charge of Rs.100 extra for each channel in HD / month and this is apart from the subscription / package charge.

currently its tooooooo costly for a tamil & telugu channel.

Sun direct needs some competition in HD front.

[Edit] Price Source : http://www.sundirect.in/HD/price_option.html

The service is way too expensive for HD viewing of Tamil/Telegu channels...

Honestly speaking why wud anyone want to pay 100 rs extra per HD channel when all I am gonna get is a choice between channels... They have mentined HD channels will 24 Hour Tamil/Entertainment channels ... So I am assuming it will be something on the lines of Star Plus ... Do u really think ppl will interested in the likes of Tulsi, Baa and the other aunties in HD!!!! MAinly becausethe audience towards which these kinda serial are targetted are mainly ppl who do not know the difference between SD and HD ........And top of that it will be in 5.1 Surround sound ..... What a waste....

It wud make a lot more sense if they had come out with Tamil/Telegu movie channels in HD....

Hopefully the competition will come up with something better and cheaper ....

They shud start the HD service for some movie channels like HBO and Star Movies .. If they do that then i might actually start watching TV ....

Lol watching tv in india is a joke for anyonw who wants to watch english material. All the shows come late and the movies in hbo and star movies are repeated over and over again. Its like they have a quota they have to show terminator once every month or something like that :S

We are better off with High speed internet.

What are the bit rates???? is it true HD or HD like??

Anyway who wants to see those saas bahu crap in HD? I want discovery, HBO, sports channels in HD.

Guys... just wait for Reliance to get into this HD stuff.. and see the prices crash.... Reliance is the player for bringing prices down ! wat say ??? And I read somewhere that reliance's BIG TV provides HD Ready STB's !

acer said:
Guys... just wait for Reliance to get into this HD stuff.. and see the prices crash.... Reliance is the player for bringing prices down ! wat say ??? And I read somewhere that reliance's BIG TV provides HD Ready STB's !

well first of all let reliance sort out the STB issues even though their version 2 stb is much better it still not perfect and big tv stbs barely have inuff power to run its own menu let alone HD,and NO big tv STB are not HD ready.

adder said:
lux international english,voom HD, ABC world HD,fashion tv HD and some more dont remember.

Thanks for the information. I have heard of Voom. I didn't know that ABC world is available to us. I wonder if they are all on the same satellite! Any idea what satellites these are on?

Back