PC Peripherals Leaning PC!! ;)

sidx19

Disciple
Alright, so I have a download rig and its always running!! like duh!! Anyways, a computer guy (relative!! din't ask him to come) recently stepped into my area and suggested I change my cabby's position!! Oh yeah, I've kept the cabinet lying flat on the table, instead of keepin it straight!! Yes, there is a reason!! there is no cooling for this cabinet(million years old) and thus i did a small mod(changed the stock CPU cooler fan with one of them CM's; dint replace the heatsink..cuz its an old celeron 478 proccy).. and it runs cool..!! SO I want to know if it is bad to place the cabinet flat on a surface??? Thats what the 'guy' said.. GUY=:tongue:...

EDIT: I can't keep it straight cuz then the heatsink would fall off... :D !! Its not secured cuz I can't use the retainers!!

I have run Celeron CPUs without any heatsink sometimes, in winters. If your heatsink isn't affixed tightly, it will not be able to work at its full potential. Considering the difference in temperature, your best bet would be to secure the heatsink (after applying thermal paste) using cable ties. There should be no problem with the position of your cabinet, as long as your optical drive is able to handle your media properly. The only worry I see is that maybe someone might knock into your cabinet, dislodging the heatsink from its position. An easier solution might be using a fitting heatsink, bought at a used-hardware shop.

Most of the components should be fine since they're all electronics without any moving parts.
But what about your HDDs, are they vertical now? I don't think that would be good...

^Nope there should be no issues with the hard drives either. Most Dell systems we have in our organisation have the hard drives kept vertical.

^^precisely.. there wouldn be a problem with the position of the cabby. I have seen some age old PC's with their horizontally placed cabbies still going strong. And the hard disks are fine as long as they are not subjected to any kind of shock or movement.

Back