LGA 1155 dead Motherboard || Seeking advice

kg_87

Disciple
Hi There,

I have a Asus Z68 motherboard, for a i5 2500k (2nd generation) processor + Corsair Vengeance DD3 RAM + Corsair RM750 power supply. Now motherboard has gone kaput and all efforts to get it repaired have yielded no results. As such I am not in need of this system but sometimes I need to access the data in hard disks installed. After taking into account usage and moolah , I have thought of following options :-

Option 1:

- Replace the motherboard with a used motherboard with similar features. (Have been quoted Rs 1800 for a used Asrock Z77).

Option 2:

- Discard this system and buy external adapters along with enclosures to read the hard drives as and when needed.

Option 3:

- Try to build a custom Sata to usb setup salvaging parts from this system just to read the hard drives.

Kindly suggest which option to go for . Feel free to suggest if there are any other options.

Thanks!

Last edited:
- Replace the motherboard with a user motherboard with similar features. (Have been quoted Rs 1800 for a used Asrock Z77).
I don't recommend at all. This could be a frustratingly useless investment. My replacement board for an older gen Intel mobo died in 1.4 years.

- Discard this system and buy external adapters along with enclosures to read the hard drives as and when needed.
Yeah do this.

I have access to US/Canada markets because of frequent travels so can purchase from there... Would you suggest https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function-EC-HD2B/dp/B0759567JT/ this? will cost around 3k INR... and can support HDD as well as SDD.
Sabrent is the best brand for such enclosures abroad & better than orico which is much more widely available here but if getting from abroad then target something more exotic like a case with active cooling (aka fan) as those are much more costlier here & many times not even available.

Edit: Like this one:

Last edited:
I was in a same situation 2018-19 era.
I decided to get a replacement H61 motherboard which is working fine till date.
Consistent was the make.

However, the issue I see today is that the CPU is incapable of handling the stupidly media heavy websites these days - leading to browser freeze and computer hanging.
If you were not facing these issues, then you can look at replacement motherboard as an extremely low investment solution.

Back