MacBook Pro or MacBook Air?

blkrb0t Usage would be mostly browsing, watching movies sitcoms etc. no gaming nothing intensive. She might be using at least a couple of hours daily. How do you rate the zen book display with respect to retina? As good as retina?

Yes, Zenbooks might have lower resolution than the rMBP, but they trump them in contrast ratio, viewing angles and almost every other display criterion. If watching anything is the main usage pattern, Zenbook is the best, but be sure to pick the 1080p model with the best battery life.

One que here (sorry to interrupt), To the owners / Experts....

Non Retina - 13" Inch Macbook pro - Core i5 dual core 2.5ghz - which comes with 4 GB RAM (8GB Max) - Is it user replaceable / upgradable RAM option like Mac Mini ?
Yes,replacing the RAM and HDD is very easy,just buy a set of screw-drivers.My 2010 13" MBP with 8GB memory and SSD still flies

One que here (sorry to interrupt), To the owners / Experts....

Non Retina - 13" Inch Macbook pro - Core i5 dual core 2.5ghz - which comes with 4 GB RAM (8GB Max) - Is it user replaceable / upgradable RAM option like Mac Mini ?

This should not be difficult if you have done this before.Removing the screws is the tricky part as the screws are custom ,rest everything should be fine. You would need a special screwdriver for doing this. Just FYI , upgrading RAM via non apple way would void warranty on RAM only. But if you upgrade HDD it would void the entire warranty. Please find the link below which shows how to do this

MacBook: How to remove or install memory

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651

Thanks red dragon and sandy453 for the confirmation and info , Any idea what kind of screws are provided ? Are they normal Torx screw ? I got good quality Torx screwdriver set which I can able to open the whole chasis/body of a Sony VIAO laptop.

One question Current gen 13" Non-Retina MBP is the same as 13" MBP 2010....right ?

I sold my 13" MacBook pro after using for 4 months... Bought the MacBook Air.
Its an eye catcher.. People drop jaws on seeing its form factor!

In terms of usage, it has no significant difference rather bcoz of SSD, the air performs most tasks quickly

Thanks red dragon and sandy453 for the confirmation and info , Any idea what kind of screws are provided ? Are they normal Torx screw ? I got good quality Torx screwdriver set which I can able to open the whole chasis/body of a Sony VIAO laptop.

One question Current gen 13" Non-Retina MBP is the same as 13" MBP 2010....right ?
You need #00 phillips for the rear panel and a torx t6(to remove the HDD bracket,for RAM you do not need it)
Yes,they are same and go ahead,it`s no biggie even for a noob like me.

Would haswell chipset make any huge difference?
Edit: I googled a bit and found out that there will be minor graphics performance difference only.

These question relating to Macbook Air
Is it possible to install Windows OS xp/7/8, can we make it dual boot machine.
How compatible will Windows OS be with Macbook Air.
All drivers get installed properly.
Will it give any issues.

Yes you can install Microsoft Windows on Mac. You can also install Linux if you want to.
@Pat An iOS developer in India and that too hardcore. Pretty impressive. Whats your team name?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Zenbooks might have lower resolution than the rMBP, but they trump them in contrast ratio, viewing angles and almost every other display criterion. If watching anything is the main usage pattern, Zenbook is the best, but be sure to pick the 1080p model with the best battery life.
@blkrb0t how good is ASUS ZENBOOK UX31A. Specs look alright to me tho not on par with MBP.

One question..will 128 Gig SSD suffice if you want to install softwares like QTP or Data Stage etc. Does installing such softwares on external HDD and hook n play whenever necessary work?
Pardon a noob here:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back