Mac OS MacOS recommended tools, apps

I use iStat Menus, it can control fans as well, not to forget the brilliant system hardware monitoring it does right on the status bar. I do want to give sidecar a try, but waiting for OLED iPad hopefully.

Oh my zsh along fish like autosuggestion plugin, Dracula theme for terminal, home-brew all are must haves for me.

Isn't this done by default on MacOS these days, my 16" MBP remains plugged in almost 24x7 and it holds the charge on 80% only.
You dont need to wait for an OLED ipad.. I have a s8+ and the 12.9 m1 .. There is no comparison between the two screens.
In theory, the s8+ is better coz no blooming etc.
In practice, the HDR rendering on the mini LED is leagues better than the s8+

You already seem to have the 16 mbp.. I hope you are using infuse or at least IINA for media..
Plex / vlc HDR support is broken on macbook and you would be doing yourself a disservice if you are not using a HDR compliant player on that beastly HDR screen (afaik, currently only infuse and optimus player fullly support HDR.. IINNA also does but its a bit hit/miss)

You dont need to wait for an OLED ipad.. I have a s8+ and the 12.9 m1 .. There is no comparison between the two screens.
In theory, the s8+ is better coz no blooming etc.
In practice, the HDR rendering on the mini LED is leagues better than the s8+

You already seem to have the 16 mbp.. I hope you are using infuse or at least IINA for media..
Plex / vlc HDR support is broken on macbook and you would be doing yourself a disservice if you are not using a HDR compliant player on that beastly HDR screen (afaik, currently only infuse and optimus player fullly support HDR.. IINNA also does but its a bit hit/miss)
Didn't know about Infuse or Optimus players tbh, I used to have INNA since everyone recommended it on Reddit afaik but these players are not much used on my machine since I stream mostly YouTube etc. apart from occasional Netflix and Apple TV. Dolby Vision on official Apple TV app was awesome none the less.

Mini LED doesn't seems natural to me especially in bright HDR scenes, I prefer OLEDs over it if I want to watch videos and stuff. I know brightness won't be as good but still.

Mini led is so bright that sometimes it is borderline uncomfortable in a dark room. It is how HDR is suppesed to be. Real world is also sometimes uncomfortably bright especially when moving from dark to bright areas.
My tv is far better in this aspect. May be because the 55 inch size lightens up the room a lot so the discomfort is not there plus the lack of peak brightness compared to an iPad pro.
But if I turn on some mild ambient lights then the experience is really good. HDR is so prominent on an iPad pro that even Ted Lasso looks fantastic.
I think there should be an option to turn it off. Not everytime I want to look at HDR especially at night.

If you regularly join meetings on your mac, this apps shows you the upcoming meetings and lets you join in one click -

AlDente - Charge Limiter, the pro version is better because it offers sailing mode.

It keeps your battery at certain % when plugged in, very essential for battery health in the long run. I recommend 40% to 60% in sailing mode, which means when plugged in, it will charge up to 60% and let it deplete to 40% and start charging again. Keeps it in that range.

There is nothing like this on windows laptop, sad. :(
You are a savior, I was looking for something like this for my mostly AC powered macbook.

I use Hidden Bar to hide apps.
Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 11.41.36 AM.jpg

Scaler Bandwidth Monitor for the Net Speed indicator.

Maccy Clipboard manager. Others are some macros and you know the others.
Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 11.44.41 AM.jpg

OnyX for clearing and fixing stuff.

Trying out BetterTouchTool: https://folivora.ai

It seems to be a swiss army knife of tools lol.
BetterSnapTool gives more customization option i guess and its cheaper as well. At least in my case, i wanted something similar to windows PowerToy's fancyzone feature. This allows me to customize the window size(s) based on my preference.
Have you tried Rectangle Pro?
Is BetterSnapTool more PowerToys like? I am looking for a replacement for Fancyzones as well.

I use a very minimal app called Tyke. It's more of a productivity tool, gives you a easy to access notepad sort of thing for anything and lives in your top bar whatever it is called, next to wifi icon. I use it to keep snippets of text for easy access,

Trying out BetterTouchTool: https://folivora.ai

It seems to be a swiss army knife of tools lol.

Have you tried Rectangle Pro?
Is BetterSnapTool more PowerToys like? I am looking for a replacement for Fancyzones as well.
i tried non pro version and then bought magnet, none of these were giving me what i wanted. As i mentioned, i use 32" 4K screen and wanted to split screen into 3 zones. 60% percent vertical zone and 40% area into two horizontal zone. This is easily possible in fanzyzone, and was able achieve in BetterSnapTool. So immediately contacted apple support to cancel magnet purchase got refund of 999rs :) and purchased bettersnaptool for 299.

The method they use to check for battery replacement, is they measure the charge cycles on the battery from some command, I forgot that. If charge cycles are more than 600 then you are eligible for battery change. I saw this 5-6 years ago, I suppose it's still the same today.
second that using the same
Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 16.51.32.png

https://better-mouse.com for making using mice on MacOS bearable. 7 day trial, 800 rupees one time payment.

free and open source alternative that does not work right now for gestures: https://github.com/noah-nuebling/mac-mouse-fix/

There's also LinearMouse and MOS that are FOSS but don't do gestures.

There's also SteerMouse and xGestures which I haven't tried but found from this thread:
It's truly infuriating how bad the mouse experience on MacOS became once MacMouseFix stopped working for me. I have been considering getting a Magic Trackpad for a week now.

Back