Microwave, Washing machine and Refrigerator

damn

Adept
So I'm moving out and have to build a kitchen of my own soon. I'm gonna be living by myself or possibly gonna have one other person so the usage of these appliances won't be a whole lot.

Microwave - I'm vegetarian so won't need a really powerful one.

Washing Machine - I'll probably use it twice or thrice a week. I'll prolly have to use it to wash my bed-sheet occasionally too.

Refrigerator - Don't need a lot of volume, I need to store cola, milk and vegetables. Looking for a really small one.

I'm looking for the cheapest ones that'll do their job. But considering my needs if you guys would suggest me optimal models I'm fine with spending ~3,000 extra for each of those appliances.

Thanks in advance for help.

Are you looking for those really small refrigerators? I recall having asked for suggestions in the forum for one and some of them pointed out that the smaller ones tend to consume as much power as say a 165l one.

Small ones as in these types - Godrej GDC 110 S

Will keep an eye on this one anyhow. I'll be needing a refrigerator and an oven soon.

Gannu said:
Are you looking for those really small refrigerators?
That is what I had in mind.

Gannu said:
I recall having asked for suggestions in the forum for one and some of them pointed out that the smaller ones tend to consume as much power as say a 165l one.
165 it is then. ;~;

As long as someone shows me the numbers (bills, power consumption or otherwise), I am willing to invest in the smaller one! Saves a lot of space. :)

Btw I saw a White Westinghouse model at an outlet but was slightly expensive at 8k. White Westinghouse is a leading brand of consumer electronics in the US and I was pretty surprised to see this in India. Later I was told that WW has started official retail in India. Might take some time to make their presence felt amidst LG, Samsung, Electrolux and other brands.

MICROWAVE: power of the micro wave does not matter as u do not get microwave with diff power capacity u get them with different volumes. A 20L one shuld be more than enought for a single user. U get one of those solo microwaves which cost around 4.5K but if u go for the croma manufactured ones (I think they are chinese but come with warranty) they will just cost around 3.5-3.8K... On the otherhand if u have plans of cooking (little) than u can get the LG grill-microwave for just 5.5K @croma and if u try outside u might get it cheaper.

NOTE: these are all prices for the 20L microwaves not the bigger ones

WASHING MACHINE: U should go for the 5L automatic ones costs around 13K (last i checked now might have changed)...

Microwave : 20 / 22L with grill function from almost all companies would be sub 5k. No need to waste money on Convection function which is of no use to veggies specially (LG / Samsung / Whirpool / Bajaj) all brands are good.

Refrigerator : As Gannu rightly said, its wiser to go for a 165 L one, I have one 90 L one at my hospital and the ice tray is a PITA, you need to defrost and then manually wipe everything from scratch. Go for frost free if you can fit in your budget and go for 5 star rated ones as they will be on 24*7.

Washing Machine : As you are single and if you can spare a few minutes between cycles you can go for 5.5 kg semi automatic machine from (videocon / onida / godrej / whirlpool /lg) as it will be cheaper to acquire and cheaper to maintain. Only negetive is that you have to remove cloths from washing drum to drying drum yourself which is only few seconds work. Fully automatics are good, but you end up spending more for no use of so called gimmick function.

Thanks for the replies! Sucks that I can't give reps in this section.

The Microwave seems to be a no-nonsense purchase.

Maintenance is a bigger concern for me than mobility or space, so I guess I'll get a larger frost free.

I'm fine with some manual work. A semi-automatic sounds great.

^I am planning to get a frost-free model as well. What about brands? I have a 2-door Samsung at home and is doing fine since the past 5 years. No complaints so far. Some say Electrolux/LG is also good.

For cloths I think better talk with Dhobi he can Clean your bedsheets more superior than Washing Machines. You could save on Machine + Detergent + Electricity Bill + Time. He may offer you good rates if you guarantee him to use ONLY HIS service 3 time a week. :)

Frost free one consume more power because to keep the frost out the heating coil runs.

I have a godrej refrigerator upstairs which is 160lts and consume 94watt,bare in mind the compressor used in this is of 90s era.

I doubt anyone is going to find a frost free refrigerator of 160liters.

Stay away from electrolux its has poor A.S.S which is handled by videocon.

Can't seem to find frost free ones under 200l.

From the ones I've been looking so far, LG has clear winners. Several direct cool 5 star 185-190L models ~10,000 that come with built in stabilizers. The defrost system is pretty nifty, just requires pushing a button manually. I've seen a 2009 model at a friend's place, its pretty light and compact too. I've also had a great experience with Samsung, but now I'm looking to score a discount by getting both the microwave and the fridge from LG.

Ah more input, thanks!

Gannu said:
^I am planning to get a frost-free model as well. What about brands? I have a 2-door Samsung at home and is doing fine since the past 5 years. No complaints so far. Some say Electrolux/LG is also good.
Get any good brand refrigerator with good capacity+5 star rating, my refrigerator doesnt need defrost as daily power-cuts take care of that :D

Anything on this front damn? :p

I am planning to get one by the next weekend. Dropped the idea of a frostfree model for the moment since we do not actually need one that big. A small 160L with preferably the unexposed condenser but this retails for as high as 11k I believe. Spend a bit more and I can squeeze a decent 2 door frostfree model itself!

Now another question being which brand to opt for. I have a Samsung 2-door frostfree which was purchased circa 2004 back at home and hasn't given us any problems till date. I've heard LG is also good and that Electrolux needs to be avoided since their customer service is bad. Any more inputs on this?

TIA!

^ I got a lot of alerts for their 20% discount, but didn't bother checking the prices. How were the prices compared to the street, I mean post discount?

agantuk said:
^ I got a lot of alerts for their 20% discount, but didn't bother checking the prices. How were the prices compared to the street, I mean post discount?

The shop near my place quoted 8k plus for a similar LG fridge. I also got a Videocon 6 KG Semi Automatic Washing Machine for 4.8k post discount. :)

@Gannu : Please post the prices as well. :p

Well the fridge cost us (i.e me and my roomie) 11k INR. Expensive yes but it has the condenser covered and a 5 star rating. So seemed like a decent deal. :)

Back