PC Peripherals Modded Flex PSU Fan Sounds Like a Jet Engine

broadway

Disciple
Jun 3, 2009
I was looking for a flex form factor power supply for my HTPC in lamington road last week and found out it was retailing for Rs. 1000/-. The problem i found with it was it had 20pin power connector and it was 180 watts only. Disinterested, i asked the scrap vendors on the road side if they could find a non-working flex psu case for me. I showed them a few pictures on my cell phone. Server psu is what they called them. They sent a few boys somewhere in the alley and they returned with a case and sold it to me for 100 bucks. I searched on the net and this is what they had given me.
v4bjtt.jpg

I should mention that these server PSU's are hard to repair. I had a friend who owned one and when it went kaput, he gave it for repair at three different locations, all them had a good reputation of successfully repairing PSU's but they couldn't repair this specific psu. They had found the fault but they could not find the parts.

So anyway, I threw away the circuit minus the fan and the case. Opened up my old iball psu and took out the circuit board. Then i sawed off the aluminum heat sink till the length of the two large capacitors. I soldered the fan that came with the case(see pic) into the new circuit. Placed the modded circuit in the new case but only one screw matched the fitting, didn't matter because it fit well and didn't vibrate much. Took some multimeter readings to see it was shorting somewhere; nope. Closed the case and powered it up... IT WORKED...

...But one problem. It has a unique fan. It's SLIM. It's 60mm or 6cm 12vdc. It has 12 blades and it sounds like a jet engine(not screeching) *literally* like a jet engine. Is this normal for a flex psu? I took out the stickers and applied oil till it dripped but of no use. I searched for the fan in lammy but all i found where the usually fat one's. I bought one for 20 bucks and tried screwing it in but the transformers were getting in the way so it was of no use.

Anyone know any tricks or tips to reduce this noise? I've come so far but this sound is such that it makes you anxious after a while. It's bad enough in the day and it gets unbearable in the night. Im not sure but i think this is an AMD heat sink fan. Can someone confirm? Do these normally make such noise?

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
What is the thickness of the fan? It's quite possible that the fan is very old and once it's lived it's life, it is as good as *dead*. You have tried the oil-lube trick and that's as far as one could go resuscitating a dead fan.

I might have a 60mm fan lying around here but I'm sure the thickness is around 25mm. May not suit your purpose.

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
AMD fans were 60mm but migrated to the larger 70mm form factor since the original Athlons.

Does the fan blow in or out? If it blows into the PSU (more likely), try removing the cage and mount a regular 60x25 fan on the outside, or create a funnel and mount a larger fan.

Flex PSUs normally come with a 80x20mm fan fitted, that is what mine came with a long time ago, and tough to keep it silent. The redundant power supplies in this probably is noisier, as it's not optimised for silence, and has a smaller fan to boot.

broadway

Disciple
Jun 3, 2009
The 60mm fans i mostly went through were 15mm thick. The flex psu fan however measures exactly half that size 7-8mm

@cranky

It blows inside and the cage is removable and i can dock a regular 60mm fan from the outside but when i screw it inside the cabinet, the fan touches or connects with the aluminum heat sink of the CPU. I had pasted a think plastic film between the psu fan and the cpu fan because they were fighting each other for air; the psu fan made the cpu fan spin as below as 1000rpm.

Im thinking about doing another mod. I'll remove the flex psu and solder together the power cables similar to a modular psu but instead with the cabinet which will have a 9 pin connector in the back. Basically, a home made pico psu. I'll keep a regular psu beside the cabinet.

vip

Adept
Jan 8, 2010
Mohali
i think u were looking for flex atx few weeks before.

The main reason for jet like screaming is due to vibrations,screw the fan firmly.

Noise problem is very common in flex atx psu's.could u please upload a picture of ur setup this will let us help u better.At least use a 80mm fan.secondly u can change ur heatsink with thicker and low height one.