my first rig selection...advice needed :)

cooler2005

Disciple
Hi guys!! how are you all doing? :)

I am really happy with my PC, it's been almost a month now :). Giving excellent results :).

I am here yet again to get advice on a new PC which one of my juniors has asked me to help her with. We are going to nehru place in the coming week and buy it. Her aim is animation/modeling/rigging/rendering etc etc Following is the questionnaire.... :)
Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Core 2 Duo
Motherboard - Intel G31
GPU - None
RAM - Kingston 1GB
Monitor - LG 22" (without HDMI)
SMPS - None
Speakers - Creative SBS

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Speakers - Creative SBS

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
This is what i recommended her...

CPU - Intel Core i5 750
Mobo - Intel DH55TC
GPU - nvidia GTS 250 / GTS 240 (not sure how much memory both of them come with and which would suit her needs)
HDD - Western Digital Blue 500GB
SMPS - CM 400W
Cabinet - CM Elite 310
KBB/Mouse - Logitech
UPS - APC 550VA

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, this would be the final configuration.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Delhi, Nehru place (SMC or CTC or any other which gives the best deal)

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Animation/modeling/rigging etc etc
Gaming
Browsing
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
AMD - never used. Can't take risk of buying for the first time.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
All latest.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Native ... i guess

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

that's the rig i recommended her. Kindly suggest if something needs to be changed or added .

Thanks

cooler2005 said:
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Core 2 Duo
Motherboard - Intel G31
GPU - None
RAM - Kingston 1GB
SMPS - None
Speakers - Creative SBS

The existing hardware configuration you wrote is the one you have or she has?
If that is what you have, and she has to buy everything from scratch then it was not required. Answer the questionnaire according to what she would have answered.
cooler2005 said:
Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
AMD - never used. Can't take risk of buying for the first time.
What is the risk in buying something of a different brand?
What is the risk if you had a Reebok shoe earlier and want to buy a new one and there is a better, cheaper shoe available of a different brand, say Nike and buy it?
AMD is not something that launched a year ago and "you are afraid it might not work as required".

Keep the same mobo and upgrade the setup rather than going for a new one altogether

CPU: Intel Q8300 (4 cores, 2.5GHz) ~ 6.8k

Mobo: Retain the G31

RAM: 2GB DDRII Kingston RAM ~ 2.5k (Retain the 1GB u have. So 2GB+1GB --> 3GB)

GPU: Nvidia GTS 250 512MB DDR3 ~ 6.5k

PSU: Corsair CX400~2.8k/ Seasonic S12II 430 ~ 3.3k/ Corsair VX450 ~ 3.7k/ CM Real Power 460w ~ 3.7k (Stay away from CM extreme power and extreme power plus series)

Cabinet - CM Elite 310 ~ 1.5k

KBB/Mouse - Logitech ~ 0.7k

UPS - APC 550VA ~ 1.9k

Total: 23-24k

http://www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf

www.smcinternational.in

Mephistopheles said:
The existing hardware configuration you wrote is the one you have or she has?
If that is what you have, and she has to buy everything from scratch then it was not required. Answer the questionnaire according to what she would have answered.

What is the risk in buying something of a different brand?
What is the risk if you had a Reebok shoe earlier and want to buy a new one and there is a better, cheaper shoe available of a different brand, say Nike and buy it?
AMD is not something that launched a year ago and "you are afraid it might not work as required".

well, mephistopheles, i am doing it for her so it's her configuration i have mentioned. the risk i mentioned is related to financial risk. none of our labs have an amd, so she prefers buys something similar on the range of those pc's on which we work. :)

DarkAngel said:
Keep the same mobo and upgrade the setup rather than going for a new one altogether

CPU: Intel Q8300 (4 cores, 2.5GHz) ~ 6.8k
Mobo: Retain the G31
RAM: 2GB DDRII Kingston RAM ~ 2.5k (Retain the 1GB u have. So 2GB+1GB --> 3GB)
PSU: Corsair CX400~2.8k/ Seasonic S12II 430 ~ 3.3k/ Corsair VX450 ~ 3.7k/ CM Real Power 460w ~ 3.7k (Stay away from CM extreme power and extreme power plus series)
UPS - APC 550VA ~ 1.9k

Total: 23-24k

http://www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf
SMC International - One Stop Shop for all your Hardware Need !

unh...u sure darkangel? she has a budget of 40K and u're giving her a quad core? :)

cooler2005 said:
well, mephistopheles, i am doing it for her so it's her configuration i have mentioned. the risk i mentioned is related to financial risk. none of our labs have an amd, so she prefers buys something similar on the range of those pc's on which we work. :)

Sorry, my bad.
I dont think there will be any difference while using an AMD one instead of the usual Intel, what I wanted to convey was, when there is a better product which is also more economical, why should one have a brand bias and not buy that and get something which he/she usually does?

Anyways, after all its your call, so please do as you please :)

Dark Angel has provided a good solution for your friend's needs.If she is ready to spend 40k,then remove the GTS 250 and the PSU buy a better GPU and psu with the amount left.

if her primary use is 3d animation and modelling then she would need something like a ATI Fire PRO or Nvidia Quadro series cards.. spend the rest of the money on them.

but buying a c2q would be like taking a step back in technology ... isn't it...?? i would prefer if she buys a latest one coz she does'nt plan to change it for like another 4-5 yrs....can extend budget a bit though....

CPU: Intel Core i-5 750 ~ 9.9k/ core i7 - 860 ~ 14k

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2~ 6.5k/ Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H ~ 6.6k

RAM: 4GB DDRIII Corsair XMS3 RAM ~ 6.4k

UPS - APC 550VA ~ 1.9k

Total: 37-42k

This rig should last u for sometime.

but i suppose i7 would not support H55? does'nt it work on H58?

ok now this is what i got from SMC today

CPU -> i5 - 10.2K / i7 - 14.8K

Mobo -> MSI H55M-P33 - 4.7K / MSI X58Pro - 10.8K (he had a GA-X58A-UD5 which was for 18K)

Memory -> 4GB DDR3 - 2800x2 - 5.6K

Cabinet -> Cooler Master 310 Elite - 1.55K

SMPS -> Corsair VX450 - 3.7K

HDD -> 500GB WD Blue - 2.2K

KBB/Mouse - Logitech - 0.7K

GPU -> MSI Radeon HD 5770 - 9.6K / XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB - 9.8K ( he did'nt have 250GTS available but said it's 1GB version is of almost the same price as 5770)

UPS -> APC 550VA - 1.9K

Total -> ~39K -> i5 / ~50K -> i7

if i7 is going to be this expensive then she can't for it....the variant you showed for i7 is much cheaper..how is it possible? where is he charging me unnecessarily??

cooler2005 said:
but i suppose i7 would not support H55? does'nt it work on H58?

ok now this is what i got from SMC today

CPU -> i5 - 10.2K / i7 - 14.8K

Mobo -> MSI H55M-P33 - 4.7K / MSI X58Pro - 10.8K (he had a GA-X58A-UD5 which was for 18K)

Memory -> 4GB DDR3 - 2800x2 - 5.6K

Cabinet -> Cooler Master 310 Elite - 1.55K

SMPS -> Corsair VX450 - 3.7K

HDD -> 500GB WD Blue - 2.2K

KBB/Mouse - Logitech - 0.7K

GPU -> MSI Radeon HD 5770 - 9.6K / XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB - 9.8K ( he did'nt have 250GTS available but said it's 1GB version is of almost the same price as 5770)

UPS -> APC 550VA - 1.9K

Total -> ~39K -> i5 / ~50K -> i7

if i7 is going to be this expensive then she can't for it....the variant you showed for i7 is much cheaper..how is it possible? where is he charging me unnecessarily??

Who told u :| Just do a bit of googling. the i-7 860 is a LGA-1156 socket CPU and works with both H-55 and P-55. You can use it with this MSI mobo u have mentioned.

The other i-7 9xx is the one that is to be used to with the X58 mobos.

Isnt she selling off her older rig?

Then she might get CPU(3.5k)+mobo(1.5k)+ RAM(1.8k) from that sales proceeds which could be used for this setup.

Btw get this mobo. Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H ~ 6.6k. Its much better than that cheap MSI one which lacks HDMI, e-SATA and firewire ports.

Also chk this. SMC site says MSI 1GB GTS250 - Rs.7450

http://www.smcinternational.in/inde...shop.browse&category_id=34&Itemid=93&TreeId=8

she is'nt selling off her pc...she'll give it to her sister..

just for my knowledge...why is'nt i7 9xx series recommended over TE? i just see 860 being told...which one is worth buying? i7 9xx series is around ~24K at CTC...

DarkAngel said:
You dont have the budget for the i-7 9xx

the thing is 860 is no longer available at SMC...they have 930 which is for ~14.5..but with 930 i'll have to change my board to x58 which will cost me minimum of 10K....so my budget would shoot up to 10K straight away....is'nt it?

^^ First off decide ur budget. the max that u can stretch it to. DarkAngel has already given u the best options available. There are better proccies and GPUs out there but we can only suggest as per ur budget.
And go the i5 way and invest the extra dough in a 5850. It should suffice ur needs at the same time stay within ur budget.

Back