CPU/Mobo Need a CPU+MOBO+SMPS(MOBO should support 16GB RAM). Please help!!!

lubu

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
:ashamed: 15K. But need to fit in CPU+MOBO(MOBO should support 16GB RAM)+4x2GBRAM. Please help!!! Will buy PSU next month. Hence need suggestions on PSU as well

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor – Samsung 22â€
Cabinet - Bijli + el cheapo PSU
RAM - Kingston 4GBx2DDR3
GPU - Some cheap Nvidia card w/512MB

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
a. CPU – Intel/AMD (need your recommendation on the best cpu+mobo combo within my budget)
b. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Will add a budget PSU next month and also a budget GPU the subsequent month.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Bangalore
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

a. Browsing
b. Desktop Processing
c. HTPC
d. Download rig, 24x7 operation
e. Watching HD movies
f. Run a lot of VMs concurrently – Linux, Solaris, Exchange, Windows 2008 (PRIMARY PURPOSE)

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Don’t dislike any specific brand

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Desktop – 1920x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

^^ AMD Llano is right up you alley, you will not even need to invest in a separate graphics card and still be able to ramp up some eye-candy.

AMD Llano A8-3850 ~ 7000/-

Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H ~ 7000/- (prices are from SMC International's Dealer's Paradise section -- http://www.techenclave.com/smc-internl/smc-launches-amd-llano-series-apu-194192.html)

Buy Corsair XMS 3 4GB x 2 1600MHz CL-9 ~ 5000/-

Corsair VX 450W ~ 3500/-

Why don't you save-up and get all this in one stroke next month as I really will not recommend building a shiny new set-up on an el-cheapo SMPS.

intel core i3 - 2100 ~5150

intel DH67BL ~5100

Gskill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 2x4 gb ~3500

PSU cooler master gx450 ~3.4k

Is AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto 3.3GHz @ 4.8 ( shipped) better choice than Core i3 ?

If you're lucky. BE allows you to unlock the disabled cores with a compatible motherboard.

ashis_lakra said:
Is AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto 3.3GHz @ 4.8 ( shipped) better choice than Core i3 ?

If you're lucky. BE allows you to unlock the disabled cores with a compatible motherboard.
^^ The Phenom IIx2 550 B.E. is not always unlocked to a quad-core (Deneb) / tri-core (Heka), as most dual-cores today are dual on die rather than a binned quad-core processor. Also the Phenom IIx2 gets decimated by the Athlon IIx4 which in turn gets demolished by the Core i3 2100 / AMD A8-3850.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/399?vs=289 -- Llano vs. Sandy-Bridge.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/187?vs=188 -- AMD Athlon IIx4 vs. AMD Phenom IIx2

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=188 -- Athlon IIx4 vs. Sandy-Bridge.

All of you cross budget:

AMD A6 3650 2.6GHz @ 5.9k
Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V @ 5.9k
FSP Saga II 500W @ 2k
and @ all, HE HAS RAM ALREADY!

I would reccomend X4 955 BE for him. He is gonna run lotta vm ware so that would come handy. That and a fast hardrive might be real useful for his application.

Zloyd said:
I would reccomend X4 955 BE for him. He is gonna run lotta vm ware so that would come handy. That and a fast hardrive might be real useful for his application.
The A8-3850 performs at the level of a Phenom IIx4 955 while multi-tasking, is a true quad-core unlike the Intel Core i3 2100 (which depends on Intel Hyper-threading design 2 cores - 4 threads) and comes within a new chip-set -- FM1 A75 -- which is built from the ground up with a good IGP on the CPU-die which delivers reasonable gaming performance @HD resolution a great deal over all for OP.

comp@ddict said:
and @ all, HE HAS RAM ALREADY!

Meep. Did not read that.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
I am doing some reading on the AMD Llano as honestly I had not heard about it:ashamed: and also as it seems to be the most recommended option..

Here's mine GO
Get Athlon II X3 C3 / Gigabyte 880G MicroATX / 16GB 13334 Mhz / Branded SMPS / unlock x3 to x4
Modify Athlon ACPI states, and new llano's have roughly same performance v.s these athlons, and if u don want that much graphics, simply spend for the required compute ... rather than the new AMD junk with Graphics power >>>
Ur Virtualization pc tasks primarly need Beefy RAM > Processor > HDD in the order...

Optimize VMX parameters Globbally to enchance your VMs (which wud been mostly stateless )

and regarding IDLE power consumption, IDLE tdp are mostly same of llano and Athlon(once u mod acpi state), and it ain't the case that u will likely wanna spend 12K for llano kit V/S 7600 for Athlon Kit, and u will save like 4400 in two or 3 years ...

and if u wanna spend higher, simply go for Intel Sandy Route, but i wud say go for athlon , it has enough juice for stateless VMz...

Back