Linux need help in ubuntu 8.04

john117

Adept
Hey firstly if there is a there is thread which caters to my queries then plz move it there .. i only found a guide for ubuntu customization by darky and i dint feel it appropriate to ask there ..

now here is the story ..
recently the big heads in my organization decided to switch to ubuntu from xp as they realized its a better developement platform and cost effective too.
So here i am a week into ubuntu and still struggling to get used to .But i m finding it much better then xp in lot of areas and i am getting a feeling once i get used to it i may never go back to windows..
but i am having some issues..
1)I am not able to configure pidgin for gtalk but it works fine with msn messenger .. it refuses to connect for gtalk .. tell me a solution which doesnt require sudo rights coz i dont have sudo permissions.or tell me some other alternative for connecting to gtalk .

2)ubuntu is freezing on me when i lock the desktop and log back in .. happened with me 4 times last one week and only solution is to restart the pc .. :mad: and its really annoying as loose a lot of work when this happens ..:mad:

3) give me links for ubuntu customization guides for v8.04 ,the guide by darky is for 7.10 would that guide apply to my version too. also suggest me some general apps that are needed in day to day use.... like editors .. image editors ,messengers ,media players .. again i dont have sudo permission so suggest me considering this .

i guess for connecting to gtalk you are using the XMPP protocol.

try the following settings in the Advanced Section of the connection:

Force old (port 5223) SSL: Checked

Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams: Un-Checked

Connect Port: 443

Connect Server: talk.google.com

Proxy type: Use Global Proxy Settings

1 Download & Install the latest version of Pidgin.
2 Open Pidgin and go to Add / Edit Account window of Pidgin.
3 Choose XMPP as the Protocol.
4 For the Screen name enter your Google Id (Gmail Id). eg. manast86
5 For Server enter gmail.com
pidginoa7.png

Pidgin GTalk
6 You can leave the Resource with the default Home
7 In the Password field enter your Google ID password.
8 Enter Local alias as whatever you want to
If you are getting “Connect Error†while you are saving the account.Try going to the advanced tab and put in the following details :hap2:

Force old (port 5223) SSL: Checked
Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams: Un-Checked
Connect Port: 443
Connect Server: talk.google.com
Proxy type: Use Global Proxy Settings

I am using Pidgin 2.5.2 [from Ubuntu repos] . .Its provides support for gtalk options .. Work fine for me... If you want the new version.. Please activate backport repo. from the Software Sources. You might/might not get few updates.. or download it from here Application Information - Pidgin

2. Make sure all drivers are properly installed and you have activated restricted drivers from Restricetd Driver Manager..

3. There are no guide for newer buntus like the one I posted.. You can check gnome-look.org for newer themese and icons... Rest is same as mentioned in it ;)

Regards

Lets try one more time shall we

1- Get the latest version of Pidgin and Install it on your computer.

2- Select “Accounts“-> “Manage“-> “Add”

This will open a new window- “Add Account”

ConfigurePidginwithGoogleTalk.jpg

3- From the drop down box choose XMPP as the Protocol.

4- In case of Screen name enter your Gmail Id (e.g. - raks.khare).

5- Type gmail.com as the Domain/Server.

6- In Resource Field enter Home.

7- Type your Gmail Password in the Password Field.

8- Choose any Nickname (e.g. -rocky or something ) as Local alias.

That’s it you are almost then.

Now, if you are behind a proxy server that is blocking Pidgin to connect to Internet and to log in your account, just follow the below mentioned steps. I am sure you’ll be able to run Pidgin freely like I do.

Click on the “Advanced” tab in Add/Modify Account window and do the following:-

MakePidgintoworkthoughaProxyServer.jpg

1- Force old (port 5223) SSL: Checked

2- Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams: Un-Checked

3- Connect Port: 443

4- Connect Server: talk.google.com

5- Proxy Type: Choose your protocol and enter desired proxy settings. If you don’t know about this, select Proxy Type as “Use Global Proxy Settings”.

You are done. Now, you can use Pidgin as much as you like

My guess is that the necessary ports are being blocked by your firewall, proxy, or router.

In order to connect to Google Talk and start sending IMs, you'll need to enable TCP connections to talk.google.com on port 5222, or on port 443. From What ports does Google Talk require? (Required ports to use Google Talk - Google Talk Help)

You can test to see if you can connect to talk.google.com, port 5222 with the following command in a terminal:

telnet talk.google.com 5222
A successful connection will look like this:

telnet talk.google.com 5222
Trying 72.14.253.125...
Connected to talk.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^Connection closed by foreign host.

1)^that can be the case in a big network ,where ports are already blocked in the core system.

2)What is your graphics card? in grub menu the line starting with "kernel /(hd0 ,x)/vmlinuz ..." ,try appending "acpi=force"(without quotes) and reboot ?

and use the proper graphics card driver in case of nvidia/ati/etc .with Via openchrome drivers can be a bit buggy ,I guess.

3)time for shashwat to write a new guide? :lol:

@john117, try running pidgin from the command prompt so that you can see errors being printed... (assuming all your settings are correct).

im guessing somehow you dont have the openssl library installed, (i've seen this issue on windows tho) so check if the package is there called something like "openssl", install it and try again.

about the screensaver hang, im also guessing its due to an issue with the graphics driver or lack of it being there :) so either install the drivers properly or select a blank screensaver

Back