CPU/Mobo Need Motherboard & CPU Heatsink Advice

I have a Intel Q6600 running at stock speeds on the stock heat sink while using the cheap and effective Gigabyte G31m-S2L Motherboard along with 4GB DDR2 RAM, nVidia 9600gt 512mb & a Cooler Master 450W PSU. I have been using this setup effectively for around a year and half without any problems , but of late i get some sort of beeping sounds from the CPU cabinet while doing some tasks . I suspect that these sounds are a result of overheating (as they originate during gameplay, rendering , video encoding & most surprisingly while installing Genuine Windows XP) . So I have been contemplating with the idea of installing a heatsink & even changing the motherboard.

Kindly advise me which motherboard to install along with which heatsink to install. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Why would you want to change your motherboard? Get a better heatsink instead. Post your budget first. What enclosure does this setup go into?

Desecrator said:
Why would you want to change your motherboard? Get a better heatsink instead. Post your budget first. What enclosure does this setup go into?
I was wondering if 2.5k would be sufficient for a heatsink & around 4/4.5K would suffice for a new Motherboard . In all a budget of 7K for the Heatsink & Motherboard combined .
I own a beautiful MidTower puppy called the CoolerMaster Cavalier 3 (though its almost 3-4 years old but still looks & shines like new, not to mention there is barly any noise)

Here is a link to the specifications : Cavalier 3 - Cooler Master

Cooler%20Master%20Cavalier%203%20(Retail,%20Zwart,%20ATX).jpg

BTW, i was pondering about changing the motherboard just for my psychological needs , if it wont do any good to my problem then i dont need it, but yeah getting a good suggestion about which mobo to look for should i decide to retire this one would be pretty helpful. Do remember i need one for Q6600 with DDR2 RAM support.

Zero Cool said:
Yep , they do seem to cross over 80Degrees on load & occasionally even cross 90 Degrees :no:

Even then it should not beep. How you checked the temperatures. Try RealTEMP, or Coretemp.

Zero Cool said:
I have a Intel Q6600 running at stock speeds on the stock heat sink while using the cheap and effective Gigabyte G31m-S2L Motherboard along with 4GB DDR2 RAM, nVidia 9600gt 512mb & a Cooler Master 450W PSU. I have been using this setup effectively for around a year and half without any problems , but of late i get some sort of beeping sounds from the CPU cabinet while doing some tasks . I suspect that these sounds are a result of overheating (as they originate during gameplay, rendering , video encoding & most surprisingly while installing Genuine Windows XP) . So I have been contemplating with the idea of installing a heatsink & even changing the motherboard.

Kindly advise me which motherboard to install along with which heatsink to install. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

You really should mention temperatures in your first post, especially when you are looking for advice on overheating problems.
Anyway:-

1)What are your current load/idle temperatures reported by CoreTemp/RealTemp?

2)Why do you want to switch motherboards? Let's leave "psychological reasons" out of the equation for now.

3)Are you, or will you be looking to overclock your processor?

Also if case has good airflow and CPU heatsink is properly mounted then it shouln't heat that much.It could be because of plenty of dust, do check it out.

1. Post temps.

2. Check if heatsink is properly mounted.

Back