Need suggestion for instrument to learn(haven't played anything ever)

Bhaalu

Recruit
As the title says wanted to learn an instrument that is preferably cheap to buy and has easy learning curve. Was thinking about flute since I have one lying around but could not find any tutorials and turns out even blowing the air has a technique(tried it for a few hours). So should I try to learn flute or are there better options out there?

As someone who plays guitar, I can tell you, start off with keyboard and get your fundamentals about music theory. Playing an instrument is 90% muscle memory, and 10% knowing what to play (In my opinion that is). If your basics are decent, a lot of music will start making sense to you. Then if you want to pick up another instrument (say, flute) you already know pressing which finger patterns will yield which note. Then its just a matter of getting finger dexterity (that's what she'll like) and proper technique.

Regardless of the instrument, at least aim to attend physical class to a reputed teacher. They will make sure your form is correct and you are not incorporating bad / lazy / damaging habits or posture.

I made the mistake of committing too much to muscle memory and not developing music skills like learning to identify notes, identify the intervals between notes, and placing them in pleasing patterns. Do not do the same!

And lastly, this is a task with delayed gratification. You will suck for the better part of the starting months, it will start taking time to be proficient, and it will take a lot to play in front of other people. Just don't give up - consistency is key.

As someone who plays guitar, I can tell you, start off with keyboard and get your fundamentals about music theory. Playing an instrument is 90% muscle memory, and 10% knowing what to play (In my opinion that is). If your basics are decent, a lot of music will start making sense to you. Then if you want to pick up another instrument (say, flute) you already know pressing which finger patterns will yield which note. Then its just a matter of getting finger dexterity (that's what she'll like) and proper technique.

Regardless of the instrument, at least aim to attend physical class to a reputed teacher. They will make sure your form is correct and you are not incorporating bad / lazy / damaging habits or posture.

I made the mistake of committing too much to muscle memory and not developing music skills like learning to identify notes, identify the intervals between notes, and placing them in pleasing patterns. Do not do the same!

And lastly, this is a task with delayed gratification. You will suck for the better part of the starting months, it will start taking time to be proficient, and it will take a lot to play in front of other people. Just don't give up - consistency is key.
Thanks I would try to keep this in mind. Would love to know about any website where I can find the classes near me. Or maybe an online 1on1 lessons if you know of. Keyboard was something I considered since it seems doable but it costed about 4-7k and wanted to be sure before investing that amount.

A harmonica ("mouth-organ") is something that's relatively intuitive to pick up, you can inconspicuously carry it with you everywhere in your pocket/bag, and is very versatile - works for western tunes, popular Indian music as well as nursery rhymes.

Thanks I would try to keep this in mind. Would love to know about any website where I can find the classes near me. Or maybe an online 1on1 lessons if you know of. Keyboard was something I considered since it seems doable but it costed about 4-7k and wanted to be sure before investing that amount.
Google maps is your friend, or you can also try asking around near music shops. I would strongly recommend offline class at least in the beginning, once you're familiar with your instrument, you can start learning online via youtube videos (There are many many great channels for pretty much every instrument under the sun lol).

I've got a guitar gifted to me on birthday....i woukd like to learn how to play it.....can u suggest any good youtube channel as i don't have 1on1 physical class time on weekends as i will be joining one work related course so as of now can only go for youtube evwn though i like physical classes.

I've got a guitar gifted to me on birthday....i woukd like to learn how to play it.....can u suggest any good youtube channel as i don't have 1on1 physical class time on weekends as i will be joining one work related course so as of now can only go for youtube evwn though i like physical classes.
There is Justin Guitar, and now many youtubers are teaching in regional languages (Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam, etc) so it can reach a wider audience. Ofc take everything with a grain of salt, but from my experience 80% of the time their experience and jugaads are on point.

As the title says wanted to learn an instrument that is preferably cheap to buy and has easy learning curve. Was thinking about flute since I have one lying around but could not find any tutorials and turns out even blowing the air has a technique(tried it for a few hours). So should I try to learn flute or are there better options out there?

Depends.

No instrument (or fine art) has an easy learning curve, unless you have a really good "ear", which means you can hear something and immediately play it to tune (or sing). It takes years of practice and rigor to be able to produce a sound which is pleasant to hear. Like how you mentioned, a wind instrument is not about "blowing"; it is literally how you pass air into a chamber. Most would think a trumpet is blowing air, but it is not, you kind of like spit into the mouthpiece.

Youtube will teach you nothing. A tutor has to be there to tell you:

1. How to hold the instrument. (posture)
2. Read score. (skill)
3. Tell if your scales are on point. (warm up)
4. Tell if you are in tune. (tone)
5. Tell if you are in rhythm. (timing)

A good overall instrument to learn is -- the piano. Which can be augmented at home using a Casio keyboard. The tutelage will help you:
1. Music theory.
2. Coordination for both hands.
3. Can accompany any instrument (or be played solo).
4. Is not strictly wind (trumpet, tube, flute type) or string (violin*, viola, cello).
5. Class of it's own.
6. Less taxing physically.

Indian classical instruments would be more difficult. Since there is no score. Solely really on tonality of ear, and putting it to practice. Western you can read and implement.

*learnt 7 years at school.

From a dude who has tried to learn guitar: its incredibly difficult if you don't have relatively long and nimble fingers. I have some issues with learning guitar due to a fractured left wrist and fractured left thumb. Cant ever put enough pressure on the frets.

A certain level of physical ability is required for all musical instruments. Wind instruments like the flute require good breathing, finger instruments like guitar or piano/keyboard require finger dexterity.

IMHO: start out on a Casio keyboard. Learn music theory, notes and scales.

Last edited:
Depends.

No instrument (or fine art) has an easy learning curve, unless you have a really good "ear", which means you can hear something and immediately play it to tune (or sing). It takes years of practice and rigor to be able to produce a sound which is pleasant to hear. Like how you mentioned, a wind instrument is not about "blowing"; it is literally how you pass air into a chamber. Most would think a trumpet is blowing air, but it is not, you kind of like spit into the mouthpiece.

Youtube will teach you nothing. A tutor has to be there to tell you:

1. How to hold the instrument. (posture)
2. Read score. (skill)
3. Tell if your scales are on point. (warm up)
4. Tell if you are in tune. (tone)
5. Tell if you are in rhythm. (timing)

A good overall instrument to learn is -- the piano. Which can be augmented at home using a Casio keyboard. The tutelage will help you:
1. Music theory.
2. Coordination for both hands.
3. Can accompany any instrument (or be played solo).
4. Is not strictly wind (trumpet, tube, flute type) or string (violin*, viola, cello).
5. Class of it's own.
6. Less taxing physically.

Indian classical instruments would be more difficult. Since there is no score. Solely really on tonality of ear, and putting it to practice. Western you can read and implement.

*learnt 7 years at school.
That was quite useful. I have actually put the plan on backburner since there is an unexpected situation at workplace and I'm in middle of switch. Would get back into it after a few months and probably get enrolled in some classes happening around.

Back