Config :

Core i5 3550
Gskill 2 X 4 GB RAM
Seagate 320 gb hdd
Seasonic S12II 520W
Sapphire 7870 2GB GHZ Edition
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Sony Bravia TV

Just installed Win 7 64 bit genuine . GPU was already installed in PCIEx16 slot while installation.

Symptoms, which made me think it's DOA
1) Under Device manager, Only Intel on-board device is shown.
2) If I attach HDMI cable to GPU's HDMI slot, no display.
3) Removed GPU from slot, restarted Win, shutdown, Re-inserted GPU, Reset BIOS (CMOS values), restarted and under BIOS config, disabled on-board display, and set "Init Display" to PEG (Which is PCIE as per mobo manual), attached HDMI to GPU's slot, no display.
4) reset BIOS to optimized settings. Means, on-board display "enabled" and "Init display" to "Auto", HDMI cable in GPU's slot, No display.
5) reset BIOS to optimized settings. Means, onboard display "enabled" and "Init display" to "Auto", HDMI cable in Mobo's slot, Display occurs. When Win 7 boots up, it should ask for "new device found", which it does not.
6) With any config in BIOS, Under device manager, no another display device is shown. Not even in GPU-Z.
7) Double checked with PSU connections. Both 6 pin connectors are attached and Fans on GPU are rotating.
8) Even with On-board display disabled under device manager, the same result.

Please advice.

Does it mean you could see the display after installing GPU?? If yes, then you can try installing drivers.
GPU was already installed in PCIEx16 slot while installation.

Symptoms, which made me think it's DOA
1) Under Device manager, Only Intel on-board device is shown.

Thanks #chiragsthakur
GPU was installed. But HDMI was attached on MoBo's HDMI port.

Main thing- Before installing OS, If I tried to attach HDMI to GPU, No display was there. At that time, BIOS "Init Display" value was set to "Auto", which means, If Mobo onboard display not found, use GPU's in short.

So I attached HDMI to MoBo and carried on with installation.

I tried to install drivers from CD. It only installed catalyst control center, And that too with error. If I see error log, it only showed 2 thing which it installed. Did not show what it could not install.

ATI's AUto detect utility fails to find out GPU.

With explicit 12.10 drivers for 7XXX series also, the same failure result.

Thanks again Chirag, for going through all, but issue still persists.
Update :

Updated BIOS to F12 from F6. No change.

Cannot change " Init display First " value to PEG from Auto. Somehow BIOS is resetting it to "Auto".
Now blame cannot be given entirely to GPU as of now. It can be MoBo's PCIE slot, or, PSU's Molex connectors

#ALPHA17 sire or #Jakob sire, please provide your input if you have faced any issue like this.

Thanks again Chirag, for going through all, but issue still persists.
Update :

Updated BIOS to F12 from F6. No change.

Cannot change " Init display First " value to PEG from Auto. Somehow BIOS is resetting it to "Auto".
Now blame cannot be given entirely to GPU as of now. It can be MoBo's PCIE slot, or, PSU's Molex connectors

#ALPHA17 sire or #Jakob sire, please provide your input if you have faced any issue like this.
auto should work..check the connection of the gpu , I think it may not be fitted well in the pcix slot.If everything fails, check the gpu in any other computer setup, if it recognize there than your motherboard has some problem

Place the CPU horizontally and apply pressure on the GPU to make good contact with the PCIE slot. Power ON the CPU with the pressure applied and see whether you get any display,

Thanks #satyanjoy

Problem is I do not have any other PC, and no other friend owns one. So I just want to make confirm before going for RMA.

And as per some tutorials on GPU installation, PCIE slots has one pin sort of thing, which on successful fitting makes sound, and when you want to remove GPU from slot, you need to push that pin a bit ,and then only you can remove GPU.

gigabyte-b75m-d3h-1.jpg

Now as per this my installation is correct. Will triple check now again.

Also, Just for sake of trying, should I insert GPU in PCIEx4 slot? If it's in working condition, at least it can be detected.

Thanks #satyanjoy

Problem is I do not have any other PC, and no other friend owns one. So I just want to make confirm before going for RMA.

And as per some tutorials on GPU installation, PCIE slots has one pin sort of thing, which on successful fitting makes sound, and when you want to remove GPU from slot, you need to push that pin a bit ,and then only you can remove GPU.

View attachment 16417

Now as per this my installation is correct. Will triple check now again.

Also, Just for sake of trying, should I insert GPU in PCIEx4 slot? If it's in working condition, at least it can be detected.

insert it carefully, its not that hard. If you are facing way to much of problem take out the motherboard from the cabinet and try to insert.To check the motherboard, try to use any other GPU - if you can get one from your local friend circle.

insert it carefully, its not that hard. If you are facing way to much of problem take out the motherboard from the cabinet and try to insert.To check the motherboard, try to use any other GPU - if you can get one from your local friend circle.

well I could easily fit it, there was no issue in fitting it. GPU Fans are already rotating.

Mobo is not detecting it.

Can I try with PCIEx4 slot?

crossbow Any improvement after trying the gpu in PCI x4 slot?,If not then to be sure you'd have to check the mobo by adding another GPU,If display is ok then the GPU is the issue,If display doesn't come then there's mobo is the culprit.Also if you have a regular monitor try connecting the gpu to monitor via DVI-D cable.

True, try it on a normal LED/LCD monitor.

I still suspect that neither the mobo nor the GPU is a problem here. Its some compatibility issue with TV or the HDMI cable itself.

crossbow Any improvement after trying the gpu in PCI x4 slot?,If not then to be sure you'd have to check the mobo by adding another GPU,If display is ok then the GPU is the issue,If display doesn't come then there's mobo is the culprit.Also if you have a regular monitor try connecting the gpu to monitor via DVI-D cable.

Yet to run it with PCIEx4, right now at office. Will go home and try at eve. And sadly I have not purchased monitor yet. So cannot use DVI. TV does not support IMO.

Also, I am ruling out Display ports to be the issue because...
1) I set up BIOS and installed OS by attaching CPU to TV via HDMI only.
2) Found out at Gigabyte that, if GPU is attached, MoBo automatically detects it. GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - FAQ
But yes, as of now I cannot try with Monitor, coz I have not purchased it, was gonna use TV as monitor only.

True, try it on a normal LED/LCD monitor.
I still suspect that neither the mobo nor the GPU is a problem here. Its some compatibility issue with TV or the HDMI cable itself.

HDMI cable I am using is version 1.4 IMO. Which is latest, and came with Sony BDP which I had purchased in July 12. If that worked with integrated video, IMO it should fo sure work with Discrete GPU (that too 7XXX series).

But, yes I will try with mini-display port. GPU box has converter pin for it. And ya with another HDMI cable too from MX.

Have you plugged the power cable into the GPU?
Sorry...just read that you've already checked that.

I am pretty sure on this. I specifically can say that PSU molex connectors are firmly attached. GPU is running, atleast GPU fans are running.

- - - Updated - - -

One general Question : Is it compulsary to attach HDMI to GPU's slot, If I want to use GPU, or GPU can provide it's functioning regardless of where Display connection is made, means mobo/GPU?

Yes it compulsory to do so. Video out of GPU and Integrated graphics are not same
One general Question : Is it compulsary to attach HDMI to GPU's slot, If I want to use GPU, or GPU can provide it's functioning regardless of where Display connection is made, means mobo/GPU?

and your Video output can be only one. it can either your graphics card or on board. you cannot use both at same time. if just Fan is moving and no display there can be faulty capacitor of your mobo as well. i had that problem in past where my 5770 use to run with full Fan speed but no display. try another low level graphics card which does not use any power from PSU. does your GFX makes huge noise when you switch display to card only? does your mobo gives any beep when there is no display?

ok. At Home now.

1) When I attach HDMI in GPU, no display. same as before.
2) Cannot insert card in PCIEx4. Card is too big for Mobo, and it's blocking CMOS and Start button+reset button connec tors on MoBo.

Card is not making any noise, not MoBo too. GPU fans are running at, i would say pretty normal speed.

Back